Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

I dont think we have seen any widespread persecution in the US today mainly because there is no deception large enough yet.

We are being prepped and primed to accept that extraterrestrial life exists, if we ever have some kind of first contact, it will drastically change religion instantly, and if they claim to be our creators, I could see a situation where religion is frowned upon and eventually outlawed, it would be seen as offensive to our new gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am not from the south, but I have lived there.

I don't think that they do it to be insulting, I think that it is simply more that this aspect of their life has never been examined. Many people cannot imagine not being religious.

When I was a little kid, I remember thinking that English must be the easiest language to learn. After all, everybody thought in English, therefore learning the language would be a simple matter of learning to pronounce it aloud. Meanwhile, for me to learn French, I would have to learn a new word for everything, do the translation in my head from English to French, learn to pronounce it aloud, then say it.

Obviously learning anything other than English was really difficult.

I think religion is the same way for some people, if the culture that surrounds them is religious enough. They are like a 6 year old Fishbrains, in that they cannot imagine not believing in a god. They think in terms of Baptist Christianity, and imagine that people have to translate basic thoughts framed in a baptist manner, into Catholicism, animism, Taoism, whatever.
That's an interesting take. I think there is likely some truth to it.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
So if someone came up to you and started discussing how being an atheist has helped them, and you were offended by that, it would be your problem. Got it.
I have learned to dislike the militant atheists as much as the evangelicals; they are both the same, two sides of the same coin. I want nothing to do with them.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
If you want to tell me about your god and I don't want to listen, that isn't persecution. Christians have no automatic right to be listened to.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
It's very interesting. I'm embarrassed to tell you that I don't know much about other branches of Buddhism. The Vietnamese version is heavily influenced by Chinese Buddhism. Hence, the doctrine is not light. Karma is the absolute justice of the universe. If something bad happens to me, it's because of my bad karma from my previous life. Hence, I deserve the punishment.

Buddhism is a wonderful philosophy, but the religious aspect of it is still heavily victim blaming.

Although I grew up religious, I always incorporate what I learn from my religion, my parent's teaching, and my observation in reality. I don't follow everything Buddhist monks preach.

Fortunately, the Buddha himself didn't object my way of looking for truth. He himself said that people should believe what he said without examining the claims.
I walked away from Buddhism and Hinduism. This teaching of karma is crazy. You should read what Krishnamurti has to say about it. If I can find it again. There is really no such thing as what we call karma | Daily Quotes Archive - J. Krishnamurti Online

Karma, like hell, is meant to scare people into doing what is right. And if you have to be scared into doing what is right, then you are not a moral person.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Maybe I should try to convert you to Paganism, would you like it? No. Most people know who Jesus is,and we don't need YOUR version of who and what...

Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I have learned to dislike the militant atheists as much as the evangelicals; they are both the same, two sides of the same coin. I want nothing to do with them.
Just curious as to how you are defining a "militant atheist"?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:28 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I walked away from Buddhism and Hinduism. This teaching of karma is crazy. You should read what Krishnamurti has to say about it. If I can find it again. There is really no such thing as what we call karma | Daily Quotes Archive - J. Krishnamurti Online

Karma, like hell, is meant to scare people into doing what is right. And if you have to be scared into doing what is right, then you are not a moral person.
I agree with you about what a moral person is.

I don't agree with you about karma...at least karma as I see it, and as it has been taught to me.

I don't agree with the idea of karma over lifetimes (note plural). I think karma is much more simple and natural than that. For example, if I'm a jerk and treat people badly, in one way or another I will pay a price. Nothing magical about it. Just common sense. And so, to me, the basis of Buddhism is that if I behave in a positive and moral manner, I will not suffer as much. To me there is no reason that the same principle can't be incorporated into any religion. I am an occasional member of a Buddhist forum, and there is probably no topic that is debated (and yes, argued) more than karma.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:50 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
I've never met a militant atheist, personally, although I'm sure there are some out there.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Karma, like hell, is meant to scare people into doing what is right.
And if you have to be scared into doing what is right, then you are not a moral person.
With respect, I have a different understanding. (Surprised ? lol)

There is one aspect of karma as a 'daily teacher'...for example...you cross the street blindfolded,
well...what kind of result will you get? George Kastanza left a lit cigar in Susan's cabin and look what happened...karma is the result of an action.
Reaping what you sow. What goes around comes around.

It is men/mankind's concepts that have turned the brilliant auto-pilot System the Creator set in
motion into some 'scary' thing.

If I smile and give kindness ...it is my 'karma' to receive back what I reap...I get niceness, back.
Angry, rudeness...I would get that back.
Karma is like a boomer-rang.

Karma relating to past lives is a wonderful, magnificent teacher...if I was a thief and died not learning
to stop ...i will have things stolen from me until i see this is not a fun thing
and i grow out of it.

And what are we being taught and groomed for? What are these teaching lessons all about?
Purification of heart mind and thought...and why? Because purity is the key to the ...well,
whatever you'd like to call 'it'...Peace, Heaven, the Kingdom, Freedom, realization,
God-consciousness...so many names for 'it'. Home is another...
My take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality