Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 05:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Losing my religion for equality

We ask, in particular, that leaders of all religions have the courage to acknowledge and emphasise the positive messages of dignity and equality that all the world's major faiths share.
The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter.

The pitiful truth about many organized religions. It can't be denied, but certainly can be changed if people (men) are willing and women to fight for their basic human rights.
It would be changed far more quickly if we stopped referring to God as "he".

God is made in the image of humans. Or, the other way around, I mean.

This means that this is what God might look like.

An "old man with grey hair".

God is Transgender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't think most religious men adhere to such things but it's there for those who will take advantage of it. I often think women dont submit to that crap but then I see a hijab and I get a dose of reality real quick. Do I blame the men? Yes in those dominated countries, but I also cringe when I see an American women wearing one. Her choice to wear it just gives a slap in the face of those women trying so hard to free Muslim women from oppression. But, part of freedom is their ability to choose submission. What can you do. I've worked a long time helping women overseas escape these religious chains so I know first hand how disgusting it can be.
Some of what you're saying doesn't ring true. I have spoken with a couple of women about their decision to wear the hijab, both of whom decided to wear the hijab on their own, for their own reasons, related to their own belief in God, after many years of not doing so. It is no more "oppression" for those women than it is "oppression" for Protestants to go to church on Sunday, for Catholics to wear ashes on Ash Wednesday, for Jews to wear the kippah, etc.

No doubt that some women wear the hijab as a reflection of oppression, but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality