Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am fairly certain that I have read and studied the Bible (objectively) far longer and more intensely than you have, Vizio. You read with all your irrational theological preconceptions intact. I read with the cold perspective of science and logic and a personal experience with the true nature of God. You not only accept all the inconsistencies and direct contradictions with absurd excuses and rationalizations about "God's ways" --- pretending they make what is clearly Evil somehow become Good and moral. You probably should not be blamed for accepting this irrational nonsense because it is indoctrinated from an early age.

God-breathed or God inspired does NOT meanGod's words verbatim. Inspirations MUST be interpreted using the existing knowledge, beliefs and superstitions about God of the receiver. That makes them unreliable without an absolute standard of truth to test the spirit of them. The absolute standard of God's truth is the Spirit of agape love (who IS god) as taught and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. You test the spirit of nothing and accept everything uncritically which is why you do NOT know either God or Jesus.

You must have the Spirit of agape love within you to know God and Jesus. You ignore the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" in favor of the words "written in ink." That you teach others to do the same places a heavy burden on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Perhaps, but you're the one that calls it barbaric, and you tell me that you'd rather ignore it and cling to personal revelation that you think God speaks directly to you.
I'm sorry, Doc, but your "bible study" really doesn't seem to be very deep. I'd suggest you spend some more time studying it, or perhaps get a new teacher. If you've paid or said study, I'd ask for a refund.
I simply acknowledge the reality that the minds of our ancient ancestors were indeed barbaric as were their beliefs and superstitions. The Bible reflects their barbarity accurately. But when you apply the "mind of Christ" and His Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) to TEST the Spirit of the verses, it is easy to tell which ones are actually from God and which are from the primitive beliefs of men.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-26-2015 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

As I said...there are lots of ways that a woman can lead. You seem to be hung up on the role of Pastor. There are a lot of things a woman can do other than hold the title of pastor.
The sexism practiced by fundamentalists was instituted by male chauvinists who believed suppressing women is commanded by God. It's discrimination cloaked in religion.

Discrimination is why black Americans had to sit in the back of the bus and attend inferior schools. Discrimination takes away dignity and replaces it with shame. Discrimination tells its victims they are inferior.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:

As I said...there are lots of ways that a woman can lead. You seem to be hung up on the role of Pastor. There are a lot of things a woman can do other than hold the title of pastor.
OMG, this SO reminds me of when my son was four and I would tell him, "No, no, you ARE helping! Just because you can't work the mixer yourself of put the cookies into the oven doesn't mean you're not SUCH A BIG HELP for getting me that mixing spoon from waaaaaaaaaaay over there."

Only this version would go more like, "Oh come on, honey. You can't stand in front of that whole big congregation for 45 minutes. You know how tired your little legs get! Oh HEY..." (snapping fingers in "eureka" moment) "I think I have an idea! How about you sit with of 20 damp toddlers in your lap trying to get them to sing "Jesus Loves Me" instead of that super tough pastor job...wouldn't that be so much nicer? Then afterward, you can go home and joyfully wash my socks."

Thanks Biblegod.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-26-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 07:42 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Threads like this remind us what organized religion is really all about.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:56 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Paul does not speak for God .
Paul speaks for Paul.

Judges 4;4,- 14, Deborah was a prophetess of God and a judge of Israel.
God call on whom He will, and on those that obey Him.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:04 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

You ae right on target in many sect's of Christianity....Even today ( as far as I know) in LADS..Women cannot enter the religious temple until certain criteria is met...What does that clarification to any women being allowed mean...MEN have forced said women to completely SUBMIT...and hey..as of 2015..not many women are willing to do that..given the free reign men have ( and always have had) to do whatever they want..and wifey can't protest..much less squeak!! about it all!!

Let's face it..Any religion who demeans, or marginalizes...yet USES them ( women/girls) to promote their particular interpretations of scriptures...Kind of explains why educated/worldly folks questions religion in general...Life teaches lessons no minister would ever preach to you..WHY..because LIFE Path's expose the narrowness of such views/interpretations of bible passages from Centuries ago....

To use a Colloquial term..It's time Religion..no matter which one...Time to grow up..evolve and stop demanding and learn to accept...Geesh!! Look what ISIL is trying to do with Islam...Total aberrant, self serving power trip..NOTHING to do with connection to their ALLAH!!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
We have seen several examples in this thread of how weak men are drawn to fundamentalism.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yup. Power and control.

And who's required to wash the socks.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yup. Power and control.

And who's required to wash the socks.
Just for the record, I've been doing my own laundry for 45-some years....

Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Short answer? Because the Bible says so. Women are also not to be elders.
Of course it does. It was written by men with a patriarchal worldview, mindset and ethos. Taken literally, a direction that elders must be men then becomes an impediment to a more enlightened understanding of reality.

Thankfully for you, your government permits you to discriminate in such ways, which it would not permit other employers to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality