Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 10:41 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,295,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm starting to see a pattern. If anyone dares question anything about evolution, the "you're so scientifically illterate" card gets played. No wonder any scientist would be too afraid to criticize any aspect of evolution as if it is completely infallible. That alone is anti-science, if you ask me.
LOL! You are clearly not literate in science. You have no one to point the finger at but at yourself.

Scientists are not afraid to question anything. Never heard of a scientist that does not believe in Evolution either and I can assure you it's not becasue they are afraid to question it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:03 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,052,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Amazing, isn't it that all the species that depend on sex for reproduction somehow evolved together or waited for the other to evolve in order to propagate their own kind let alone to evolve into something else.

I mean all of life is so symbiotic that none of them would survive had not the mate been right there all along. Does the evolution crowd think that for each species, it is natural for each to have evolved with such complexity, independent of each other and yet desperately in need of each other to succeed as a species.
What on on earth .... ?!

Did you read what you wrote?

Old 02-23-2016, 11:05 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,052,803 times
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how every single atheist I encounter online acts like they have PHD in science. Wow, what are the odds that everyone is an expert in the same discipline?

You still have offered zero proof that I came from a primate.
Well Jeff, compared to your understanding of science, .... never mind.

Look, we Atheists don't have a religious dogma that forbids knowledge. We don't have a children's bed time story book that we believe is undeniable fact.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 AM

33,616 posts, read 37,264,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Again ... fiction is something that is "created" by somebody - God cannot be created. God was always there. And that's what makes him God.

here ... three minutes and 38 seconds.
No god was not always there...Gods, thousands of them are works of fiction created many generations ago...Almost every culture has their own god and creation myth, each of them different....Ask yourself why you believe in your own particular god, and not, say the raven god of the Haida people....

Not all cultures had gods....Here is one that still doesn't...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqxnU5P1Yc

Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,769,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
LOL! You are clearly not literate in science. You have no one to point the finger at but at yourself.

Scientists are not afraid to question anything. Never heard of a scientist that does not believe in Evolution either and I can assure you it's not becasue they are afraid to question it.
LOL? Tell me, why should I even bother listening to the opinion of someone who mocks? All you are doing is flushing your credibility down the toliet with me. Great job.

And my point stands. There is such a stigma that any scientist who comes out questioning any aspect of evolution would possibly face career suicide. It's the same problem with doctors coming out saying that they witnessed a healing miracle. The skeptic community would put them under an uncomfortable microscope.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,769,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

Look, we Atheists don't have a religious dogma that forbids knowledge. We don't have a children's bed time story book that we believe is undeniable fact.

Thankfully, I have a faith that thrives on knowledge. Knowledge is the driving force. I have the opportunity to get to know the creator of the universe! And He ever now and then shows me just how clueless and stupid man is. The answers to life are all right there in the Bible.

Referring to the Bible as a children's bed time story book only shows just how ignorant you are about Christianity. When it's all said and done, I will benefit 1000 times more by having knowledge of God vs not knowing some man made scientific terminology or something like DNA sequences.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:01 AM

689 posts, read 551,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post

You can treat all human history as fairy tales though. Or your brain with broken logic may think that all human history must have been backed up by scientific facts.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,292,750 times
Quote:
LOL? Tell me, why should I even bother listening to the opinion of someone who mocks? All you are doing is flushing your credibility down the toliet with me. Great job.

And my point stands. There is such a stigma that any scientist who comes out questioning any aspect of evolution would possibly face career suicide. It's the same problem with doctors coming out saying that they witnessed a healing miracle. The skeptic community would put them under an uncomfortable microscope.

It just gets more bizarre and inane by the day.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM

18,533 posts, read 9,224,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It just gets more bizarre and inane by the day.
Yes:

Quote:
Thankfully, I have a faith that thrives on knowledge. Knowledge is the driving force. I have the opportunity to get to know the creator of the universe! And He ever now and then shows me just how clueless and stupid man is. The answers to life are all right there in the Bible.

Referring to the Bible as a children's bed time story book only shows just how ignorant you are about Christianity. When it's all said and done, I will benefit 1000 times more by having knowledge of God vs not knowing some man made scientific terminology or something like DNA sequences.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 AM

20,192 posts, read 13,622,664 times
Quote:
It is not mocking to observe that you don't understand what you're critiquing. And you don't. Apparently you think that you must never hear a discouraging word or it's nasty.

How nasty and unattractive would it be if I had never read the Bible or studied theology in any way and yet felt competent to remark upon it anyway?
Quote:
Radical departures from current consensus ARE met with skepticism, as they should be. That is how science works. It is rather like the example you yourself (IIRC) gave in a post recently in this forum that if a measurement points to X 1000 times and then points to Y once. One instance of result Y does not invalidate a thousand result X's. Not unless result Y can be demonstrated to come from a more accurate method of measurement than X, or that points out a fatal flaw in X. Most likely Y is simply itself in error. And that is the default logical assumption until it is shown otherwise.

In addition, the higher the level at which established science is challenged, you better believe it will require higher levels of credibility to successfully pull it off. Not the mechanical engineers, graduate students and technologists that ID supporters hold forth as their martyrs, to be sure. It will take for example a respected paleontologist with an extensive track record in his field, to challenge the current science on the fossil record. But if there is actually anything TO challenge, that would not be an obstacle. Some paleontologist somewhere would take up the cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality