Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 02:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,212,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The Bible did it for me.
Mother Goose did it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
By very broad definition about one third of the inhabitants of this planet self-identify as Christians.
Do you believe that if I "self-identified" as a Muslim and then stated Muhammed was a huckster 2 bit thug that I would be one?
Quote:
What some may not realize is that you are disavowing most of them as True Christians in order to reduce to a group that substantially agrees with your definition of god.
That's kind of what the apostles did. They were very specific about who was one of them and who wasn't.
Quote:
I used to think this way myself until I realized that my definition of god is just as subjective as everyone else's, AND that my interpretation of scripture was just as subjective.
Your experience and opinion may or may not have anything to do with truth.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Your experience and opinion may or may not have anything to do with truth.
The same can be said of your experience and opinion.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times
So, according to the topic of this thread, has anyone actually proven that God was created by man?

Where is your actual proof?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:28 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
Actually...there really IS universal agreement on who he is by those that know him.
That simply isn't true. A lot of people "know God" and have a totally different conception of "God" compared to you. MysticPhD, DewDropInn, Pleroo, et al have a completely different conception of "God." Are you suggesting that they don't "know God?" I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

Quote:
The fact that non-Christians don't agree with who God is does not suggest that we are wrong. It just means that there are dissenting opinions.
Christians don't agree on who "God" is. There's a huge difference between liberal Christians and conservative Christians, as you know.

Quote:
That really depends on what your definition of "Christian" is. It's amazing what you think "Christians" believe when you widen the definition to the point that everyone is included. Again...among actual Christians, there is universal agreement on who God is.
Sure, if you simply define "Christian" as only those who agree with you, then there is indeed "universal" agreement. But only among the few % of the global population that believes as you do. I wouldn't call a few % of the world "universal."

Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So, according to the topic of this thread, has anyone actually proven that God was created by man?

The proof is in this collection of ancient pamphlets which you amusingly describe as "historical" and commonly referred to as "the bible."

That cartoon character in the OT can only be man-made. No god worthy of a capital G is so shallow and 2-dimensional.

Foghorn Leghorn is more realistic. And way less psychotic.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,100,721 times
Hmmm interesting.

If God is created by man, then man is created by who?

I tell you the problem in OP,

Something that was "created" cannot be God.

What makes God, a God is that he is not created.

Anything that is "created"'is a creation, and creation is not God.

So the entire argument goes out of the window when you say "God was created", because if it was "created" then it does not meet the definition of God.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
God was not created by man. God was defined and explained by man. Big difference.
Good point. Besides, if God was created by man then God would actually exist.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:40 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Well asked question, Eusie. No, no one has actually proved God does not exist - yet.

You can't say we are unfair.

I think we've kinda become side tracked or maybe we simply can't.

We have shown some evidence though.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:36 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Quote:
Actually, it's "God-breathed". No prophet of God ever gave a prophecy of his own words, but is carried along by the Holy Spirit.
So tell me preacher, who wrote the Quran, the Torah, Tipitaka, Bhagavad Gita, or the other 28 books of the worlds major religions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality