Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,266,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
However the devil is winning when he sees more and more people getting divorces while at the same time straying from the Lord, it is a victory for satan. He loves that there are gay marriages, he doesn't worry about these unions of matrimony.
Why would satan love it that people are happy and committing to loving relationships with each other?

Personally I think that satan would be happy that Christians are directly disobeying Jesus' 2nd commandment "love your neighbor".

Old 03-15-2016, 04:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,295,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why would satan love it that people are happy and committing to loving relationships with each other?

Personally I think that satan would be happy that Christians are directly disobeying Jesus' 2nd commandment "love your neighbor".
Personally I think claiming Satan is happy with same-sex marriage is just one more thing fundamentalists have come up with to demonize anyone who disagrees with them. LGBTQ being at the top of their list.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,298,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally I think claiming Satan is happy with same-sex marriage is just one more thing fundamentalists have come up with to demonize anyone who disagrees with them. LGBTQ being at the top of their list.
It certainly adds another level of absurdity to their "argument."

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM

11,125 posts, read 6,058,621 times
I don't think the devil cares a hoot one way or the other. Nor does God.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:47 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,600,670 times
Quote:
However the devil is winning when he sees more and more people getting divorces while at the same time straying from the Lord, it is a victory for satan. He loves that there are gay marriages, he doesn't worry about these unions of matrimony.

I want to say something here but this is just too insane.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:09 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,771,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not only that but there is no statistical difference in the divorce rate for Christians. The divorce rates for evangelicals are HIGHER among evangelicals according to some sources.

Of course divorce is caused by lots of things besides (or in addition to) infidelity, but regardless of the exact dynamic, it would appear that for all their bluster about the war on marriage, evangelicals are not winning it:
As usual, a single statistic doesn't really tell us the whole picture. Much easier to just claim that evangelical Christians particular in the south are all cheating hypocrites!

But guess what else is in the Bible belt? Poverty and lower incomes. More rural areas with fewer career opportunities. There was a time a few generations ago when the Bible belt was strong because the common career path was farming. Communities and families were tight and helped each other. You didn't have people run and get a divorce the moment a relationship hit a road bump.

The number one cause of divorce is not fidelity, but financial difficulty so I don't think it's any coincidence that you are going to find the largest number of divorces in the least financially successful regions.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,288,504 times
About a hundred posts back I pointed out that according to some quick Google research, "gay men are more likely to cheat on their partner than straight husbands but lesbian women are more faithful than straight men."

I assume that it is only marriage between gay men that the fundamentalists are opposing. Lesbian marriage with it's higher fidelity rate should lead to strengthening of traditional hetero marriage according to the fidelity argument.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 AM

20,213 posts, read 13,625,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
As usual, a single statistic doesn't really tell us the whole picture. Much easier to just claim that evangelical Christians particular in the south are all cheating hypocrites!

But guess what else is in the Bible belt? Poverty and lower incomes. More rural areas with fewer career opportunities. There was a time a few generations ago when the Bible belt was strong because the common career path was farming. Communities and families were tight and helped each other. You didn't have people run and get a divorce the moment a relationship hit a road bump.

The number one cause of divorce is not fidelity, but financial difficulty so I don't think it's any coincidence that you are going to find the largest number of divorces in the least financially successful regions.
Nor is it a coincidence that you're going to find more fundamentalists in such regions. Poverty, lack of education, and fundamentalism (whether Christian or Muslim or something else) go hand in hand.

But that misses the point of the articles I cited. Christianity claims to provide hope for the poor, and a moral undergirding to promote healthy marriages. It may arguably do the former, but clearly not the latter. It is a moral failure, particularly for an ideology that makes such grandiose claims for being the keeper and promoter of a superior morality and a purer and more exalted and transcendent vision of marriage.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

You are correct in that a single statistic does not explain the sitution fully , it is only a tool to assist in figuring out that situtiaon. And you are right in that poverty is a leading reason for marriage breakdown, less resources to handle problems, more money worries etc.

Perhaps though you can remember your own words next time you jump on a stat such as higher HIV with gay men or use a single example like some unknown father pushing a street preacher when coming up with your own conclusions.

Montana and Wyoming are very rural areas that tend to do better than the south. They are less fundamental in their religion and schools are rated better. There are lots of factors to be considered, do not rule out fundamentalist religion as being a factor in what goes on in the south either. It would be most fair if all relative factors were considered, not excluding just the ones that you may want to count out, or not just the ones I may want to count out.

I doubt that married people run for a divorce the moment a realtionship hit a road bump otherwise very few marriages would last more than a couple of months and divorce rates would be close to 100% per year. We have had had our share of road bumps and finance hard times and have lasted over 40 years in a dozen communties.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,622,233 times
Quote:
god should utterly destroy the devil, don't you think?

Wouldn't you if you had god powers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality