Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
'God' as defined in the Bible. Yahweh or JtC if you like.
I have yet to see a definition of God in the Bible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Atheists imagine themselves as more sophisticated than others...
Well we don't believe in ancient superstitions, we are open to persuasion pending verifiable evidence, we don't castigate people based on a book proven to be mostly fable, fiction and fraud.... so perhaps we are.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
How do you define god?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:09 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Atheists imagine themselves as more sophisticated than others...as if they have the ANSWER .
Hah! This atheist may not know the ANSWER, but I do know what an incorrect response is.

It has little to do with sophistication, it deals more with likelihood.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Talk about being obtuse! You know perfectly well what I mean. Do you believe in the supernatural, omnimax deity known as Yahweh/God/JtC as depicted in the Bible?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:16 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
The bible depicts more than 1 God

Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Atheists imagine themselves as more sophisticated than others...as if they have the ANSWER .

That is a bit rich, it is the theists who believe that not only do they have the answer but that all the other similar answers are wrong.

But more to the point as I have heard this claim from others before what question do we think we have the anwer to?

1) Is there a God? I see no evidence for one therefore I do not accept that there must be one, and that is must be the same God that you belief in.

2) Is there a possiblity that a God exists? Yes there is a possibilty that a god exists

3) Is there an afterlife? I don't know but I do not think so

4) Does alien life exist? I think it is highly probably given the scear number of planets in the univese.

5) Would the discovery of alien life change your view on god no god? That would depend on the alien life.

6) Does the hope for an afterlife determine how we act to others? With some people it does but it really should not.

What are you answers then to those questions

1) Is it possible for God to not exist and if he does exist that he is not your God?

2) Is it possible that there is no afterlife or that reincarnation occurs?

3) Does alien life exists

4) What if there is no afterlife?

As you can see above much of what I said is based on I see no evidence or that I think there is a possiblity. That is far from claiming I have all the answers. Please explain what you answers are for the questions that I had to guess you were referring to. There are few theists on this forum that are not absolutely certain of their God existing and that they are doing exactly what he wants them to do.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:19 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Are you not guilty of the same thing? Is not the foolishness of god wiser than men? Are you not selling "the answer"?

In reality atheism does not claim to know nearly so much as you do. We don't know that there is or isn't a god, though we do make the belief claim that any deities are quite unlikely and totally unsubstantiated unless you consider anecdote and personal subjective experience to be substantiation.

It is really you who are claiming to know the supposedly inherent meaning of life, the nature and claims of god -- and not just any old god, the One True God(tm).

When you put the claims you as a theist are actually making up against the claims that I as an atheist am actually making, you care claiming WAY more than I am. I am actually admitting what I don't know for a fact and rationally defaulting to unbelief pending receipt of evidence in favor of belief.

To illustrate:

Most Abrahamic monotheists will claim that there is one true god, that he is transcendent, immanent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, omnipresent, personal, invisible, eternal and immutable. That he has been known as Yahweh / Jehovah, has a "son" named Jesus who is both fully god and fully man, that he once forbade mixed fabrics and shellfish but now pays attention to conformity to sexual restrictions and that the son will bodily return to earth Any Day Now to judge the quick and the dead.

I don't claim to know any such things. I see no evidence for invisible personal deities generally, much less that specific deity. So I simply decline to afford belief to it. The End. Simples.

So who is arrogant and presumptuous here?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The bible depicts more than 1 God
I named the one that I am referring to. Do you believe in the existence of Yahweh/JtC. If you can't answer the question just say so. We won't laugh....well not much anyway.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Why do you assume I am a theist?

If you are not a theist of some sort why would you take a dig at atheists theoretically refusing to believe an alien species who showed up acknowledging the existence of God ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality