Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times

Advertisements

So you believe that it is unlikely that God exists but that is not a belief and you have no system of beliefs?

And you say that I am playing word games?

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
How likely do you believe it is that God exists?
About the same probability as you assign to Sean the leprechaun sitting right now on your left shoulder.

You are not omniscient and you have perceptual limits. There is the barest possibility you might be unaware of Sean and have walked right past his pot of gold.

But you have no rational basis to form a belief that Sean exists ... so you don't. Because the rational default in such cases is to withhold belief until there is good reason to afford it.

Now to make Sean more like the standard Christian god ... let's suppose that Sean isn't just a little guy with a derby hat with a four-leaf clover in the band. Suppose that you have been told from infancy that Sean can grant your every wish and need if only you will just believe in him. And that he can cast you into a pot of molten gold which will magically never consume you, if you "refuse" to believe him. And suppose that you've been shamed for being defective in Sean's eyes ... lacking in faith and character. Maybe even wanting to steal his gold for yourself.

Now you still have no rational basis to form a belief in Sean ... but you sure do have an IRRATIONAL basis to do so.

Now suppose that you devote your entire life to believing in and serving Sean and telling others about him, have asked Sean for favors and he kinda-sorta seems to respond sometimes, have poured your heart out to Sean and imagined that he listens and cares ... and then some dipwad like me comes along and points out that you haven't proven Sean exists and that I reject your belief in him as invalid.

THAT is the situation theists find themselves in when they encounter an atheist.

So of course ... to get their brains around a paradigm they are unfamiliar with, they try to understand it in terms of their own belief-system. This strange unbelieving beast simply believes wrongly or has defective faith. That makes their wrongness fixable. To accept the unbeliever in Sean at his word that he sees no reason at all to believe is far, far, more terrifying and hard to rationalize away. So you will deny, and bargain, and rage against this unbelief ... try to recast it in kinder, gentler terms that gives your belief of choice some sort of hope that it can still be true.

But no ... mean, nasty ol' a-Sean-ist that I am ... I'm not having any of it.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 PM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
So you believe that it is unlikely that God exists but that is not a belief and you have no system of beliefs?

LOL
It seems to me that you're conflating belief with faith.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I don't believe I can meaningfully assign a probability to that idea in general.
A Bayesian probablility can always be assigned to any question.
First you start with the a priori probability then factor in any additional information you might have

Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
About the same probability as you assign to Sean the leprechaun sitting right now on your left shoulder.

You are not omniscient and you have perceptual limits. There is the barest possibility you might be unaware of Sean and have walked right past his pot of gold.

But you have no rational basis to form a belief that Sean exists ... so you don't. Because the rational default in such cases is to withhold belief until there is good reason to afford it.

Now to make Sean more like the standard Christian god ... let's suppose that Sean isn't just a little guy with a derby hat with a four-leaf clover in the band. Suppose that you have been told from infancy that Sean can grant your every wish and need if only you will just believe in him. And that he can cast you into a pot of molten gold which will magically never consume you, if you "refuse" to believe him. And suppose that you've been shamed for being defective in Sean's eyes ... lacking in faith and character. Maybe even wanting to steal his gold for yourself.

Now you still have no rational basis to form a belief in Sean ... but you sure do have an IRRATIONAL basis to do so.

Now suppose that you devote your entire life to believing in and serving Sean and telling others about him, have asked Sean for favors and he kinda-sorta seems to respond sometimes, have poured your heart out to Sean and imagined that he listens and cares ... and then some dipwad like me comes along and points out that you haven't proven Sean exists and that I reject your belief in him as invalid.

THAT is the situation theists find themselves in when they encounter an atheist.

So of course ... to get their brains around a paradigm they are unfamiliar with, they try to understand it in terms of their own belief-system. This strange unbelieving beast simply believes wrongly or has defective faith. That makes their wrongness fixable. To accept the unbeliever in Sean at his word that he sees no reason at all to believe is far, far, more terrifying and hard to rationalize away. So you will deny, and bargain, and rage against this unbelief ... try to recast it in kinder, gentler terms that gives your belief of choice some sort of hope that it can still be true.

But no ... mean, nasty ol' a-Sean-ist that I am ... I'm not having any of it.
Dude you seriously need to chill out. Whats wrong with you?
If you believe that it is unlikely that God exists then thats fine. Thats your belief.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

LOL
No system of beliefs regarding gods existence and still no answer from you. I think it is unlikely for a god to exist based both on the lack of evidence and the number of different gods.

And you are still unwilling to answer a single question nor would you answer about a definition of a god, just more and more questions from you.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 PM

I am neither a theist nor an atheist.
Gods existence is completely irrelevant to my existance, my view of reality, and my understanding of right and wrong.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Dude you seriously need to chill out. Whats wrong with you?
If you believe that it is unlikely that God exists then thats fine. Thats your belief.
Maybe he is getting tired of you basically calling him a liar over and over again.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I am neither a theist nor an atheist.
Gods existence is completely irrelevant to my existance, my view of reality, and my understanding of right and wrong.
Thanks for finally answering. So your belief system is of irrelevant? Is your belief system is that the coin landed on its side?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 PM

I don't care how the coin lands. It's irrelevant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality