Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times

Advertisements

I KNOW with certainty that a 2 headed coin will come up heads if flipped.

If the coin has a heads and a tails then I dont know what it will come up as but I KNOW the probability is 50/50.

If I have 3 coins in my pocket, one with 2 heads, another with 2 tails, and another with one head and one tail and I pull one out at random and, without looking at it, flip it then I dont know the probability but I still KNOW the bayesian probability is 50/50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 PM

The coin is either heads or tails but the Bayesian probability (the degree to which you expect it to be heads) can take a value anywhere from 0 to 100%

Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Did we really go to the moon? Nope. Mars explorer? Nope. Arizona. Tails every time.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:38 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
The coin is either heads or tails but the Bayesian probability (the degree to which you expect it to be heads) can take a value anywhere from 0 to 100%
But the coin is weighted, Gramps.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash
At the end of it all , the question still remains . Why do some people insist on calling a disbelief or lack of belief in something a " belief"?

To requote sanspeurs excellent analogy, it's like considering not collecting stamps a hobby .
It's not my analogy....It has been around for a long time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWKDOikIgIs

Old 04-05-2016, 08:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:

If the coin has a heads and a tails then I dont know what it will come up as but I KNOW the probability is 50/50.

If I have 3 coins in my pocket, one with 2 heads, another with 2 tails, and another with one head and one tail and I pull one out at random and, without looking at it, flip it then I dont know the probability but I still KNOW the bayesian probability is 50/50.
I m not sure why you keep emphasizing Baysian here, these are all a priori probabilities, Bayes' Theorem doesn't come into play at any of these scenarios.

If you were to withdraw one of your three coins, and without seeing which coin it is, flip a heads, you could use Bayes' Theorem to calculate the odds that the next coin would also be heads, given the result of the first flip.

Honestly, from your posts it appears that you have little to no experience with the statistics and are simply trying to use it philosophically without understanding the mathematics at play here. You wouldn't be the first to do so, and definitely not the last, but that doesn't change the fact that trying to deal with the philosophical implications of complex mathematics without a firm grasp of the mathematics often leads to absurdity.

-NoCapo

Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 PM

The point is that it is a Bayesian probability and not a probability.
The probability is unknown

Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
The point is that it is a Bayesian probability and not a probability.
The probability is unknown
It is just a probability until you are conditioning it on some other outcome.

There is no "Baysian probablity" of a single coin flip. You either need multiple trials or multiple events.

Again, you should probably not hang your philosophical hat on math you don't understand. Statistics and Random Processes was not my best course in grad school, and I certainly am no statistician. So, if I can see that what you are proposing makes no sense, it is pretty clear you are way off the mark here.

-NoCapo

Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It is just a probability until you are conditioning it on some other outcome.

There is no "Baysian probablity" of a single coin flip. You either need multiple trials or multiple events.

Again, you should probably not hang your philosophical hat on math you don't understand. Statistics and Random Processes was not my best course in grad school, and I certainly am no statistician. So, if I can see that what you are proposing makes no sense, it is pretty clear you are way off the mark here.

-NoCapo
the probability for that particular coin is unknown.
it might be 0 or 50 or 100 percent
why is that so hard for you to understand?

if the probability is unknown then the probability isnt 50/50
the bayesian probability is 50/50

bayesian probability is different from probability
bayesian probability quantifies the degree to which you expect something to happen

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-06-2016 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post

Honestly, from your posts it appears that you have little to no experience with the statistics and are simply trying to use it philosophically without understanding the mathematics at play here.

Precisely .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality