Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I don't care how the coin lands. It's irrelevant
As is claiming what l believe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
A Bayesian probablility can always be assigned to any question.
First you start with the a priori probability then factor in any additional information you might have
Not meaningfully. You need some understanding of the problem space to even be able to chose how many possible outcomes you have, and then you need to further use deductive reasoning to assign probabilities to these outcomes.

You can of course blindly assume that every problem space has only two possible outcomes and that they are equally weighted, but that is not a meaningful assessment of the actual probability, just a guess.

I choose not to blindly slap probabilities on things that are fundamentally unquantifiable.

-NoCapo

Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't care how the coin lands. It's irrelevant
In other words you are an atheist like me !

Because when someone flips and says "its heads" you don't believe it. If you did, it would be relevant.

If littleCapo, me from 15 years ago claimed that there was a God, and that is you did not confess with your mouth, and believe with your heart that Jesus was the son of God then you would burn for eternity in Hell, then of course it is relevant.

If you believe me, then you better convert or burn, the only way you can brush my claim off as irrelevant is if you don't believe it!

Welcome to the club, atheist buddy, your decoder ring and secret handshake guide are in the mail.

-NoCapo

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
It is irrelevant either way

Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
It is irrelevant either way
Your burning in Hell is irrelevant? Eternal, unimaginable torment doesn't matter? How could you believe it is true but that it is irrelevant?

Because if you don't believe it, congratulations you just proved my point...

-NoCapo

Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Read this entire post or the point will be lost.

1And I saw, and lo, a Lamb having stood upon the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty-four thousands, having the name of his Father written upon their foreheads;
2and I heard a voice out of the heaven, as a voice of many waters, and as a voice of great thunder, and a voice I heard of harpers harping with their harps,
3and they sing, as it were, a new song before the throne

9And a third messenger did follow them, saying in a great voice, `If any one the beast doth bow before, and his image, and doth receive a mark upon his forehead, or upon his hand,
10he shall be tormented in fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and before the Lamb

2and I saw as a sea of glass mingled with fire, and those who do gain the victory over the beast, and his image, and his mark, [and] the number of his name, standing by the sea of the glass, having harps of God,
3and they sing the song of Moses, servant of God, and the song of the Lamb (offkey), saying:

`Great and wonderful [are] Thy works, O Lord God, the Almighty, righteous and true [are] Thy ways, O King of saints
4who may not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? because Thou alone [art] kind, because all the nations shall come and bow before Thee, because Thy righteous acts were manifested

Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 PM

The vision above was shown to at least two people Peter and John on the Mount of transfiguration. One of them seems to have gotten it. The other one did not, perhaps because he was deaf and therefore couldn't hear what was actually going on

Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 PM

And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,

15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.

17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.

25Jesus having seen that a multitude doth run together, rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, `Spirit -- dumb and deaf -- I charge thee, come forth out of him, and no more thou mayest enter into him;' 26and having cried, and rent him much, it came forth, and he became as dead, so that many said that he was dead, 27but Jesus, having taken him by the hand, lifted him up, and he arose.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:28 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
I would ask the opposite question. Why do atheists feel the need to deny that they have any belief?
It's a way of pretending you're superior. I like to say stuff like that too when I have disagreements on opinions just to rile people up. For example, I claim I don't believe in catastrophic climate change because I see no evidence, which has the effect of implying that those who believe in it are irrational. In truth every opinion is a belief. A belief is what you think or believe is true, whether it's true or not.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Atheism may not be a religious belief but it is a belief.
Either God exists or he doesn't so the a priori probability is 50/50.
Therefore the complete lack of any belief regarding God's existence would be 50/50.
If you don't believe that it is 50-50 then you clearly have formed a belief.
Are you going to answer the question I left with you last night?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thats a small god you listed there.
The gods are not important. I am trying to ascertain whether of not he thinks that gods, any gods, exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why do people get their panties in a wad over whether atheists have a belief or a lack of belief?

Do theist have some need for non theists to possess belief also, even if it's a belief that something doesn't exist ?

What's the deal ?
Something that has puzzled me for decades.

Quote:
I would ask the opposite question. Why do atheists feel the need to deny that they have any belief?
Who does deny it? I, and other atheists have many beliefs. I believe that the British Royal family should be abolished. I believe that Trump is a dangerous arse....but I have NO BELIEF in the existence of gods.

Quote:
I am neither a theist nor an atheist.
Gods existence is completely irrelevant to my existance, my view of reality, and my understanding of right and wrong.
So you have a belief that 'God' exists then?

Quote:
The vision above was shown to at least two people Peter and John on the Mount of transfiguration....
Allegedly. Unfortunately for you the only thing that confirms that is your Bible. Your task now is to show that your Bible is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality