Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 01:28 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times

Advertisements

A dig?

per·se·cu·tion com·plex
noun
an irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
If you are not a theist of some sort why would you take a dig at atheists theoretically refusing to believe an alien species who showed up acknowledging the existence of God ?
I think gramps is out of sorts today. Probably ran out of his favorite chewin' tabaccy. Nothing makes him more crotchety than that.

I have to say though that while I felt a perceived "gotcha" question coming on, I didn't take it as a dig.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
I didn't think anybody was arguing.

You made the remark that atheists would try to spin "it" if the little green men also worshiped "god". I simply asked why you wouldn't pray about it?
He pulled this exact tactic with me a day or two ago. He's in his periodic "try and knock them off center by pretending they are crazy" mode. It'll pass. You have to give him props for creative deflection at least. It is actually a nice change compared to the usual boo-hoo-poor-persecuted-me shtick that we normally get from other theists.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Atheism is a religious belief in the sense that it's an answer to a religious question. A belief is what you think or believe to be true.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Atheism is a religious belief in the sense that it's an answer to a religious question. A belief is what you think or believe to be true.
Rejecting a religious belief is the exact opposite of believing that particular assertion. Inherently. If you can't conceive of (dis)believing anything about metaphysics without it being a religion, that is your failure of imagination.

As an atheist I don't have religious beliefs. You as a theist have them. I don't accept them. Theistic ideation is based on the failed epistemology called "religious faith" which is believing a thing despite it not being evidentially or logical true. I give credence to a different epistemology -- generally, naturalism and the scientific method supported by empirical evidence and/or logical argument. I am happy to believe in ice cream, sunshine, freshly-mown grass, digital computers, death and taxes because I share the same experience of those things with other human beings and they can be measured and quantified and verified to a sufficient extent. I do not believe in invisible all powerful beings who bestow morality and absolute eternal punishment and reward because these are asserted without any empirical evidence. I do not engage in ritualistic practices (such as worship) and groupthink to reinforce such beliefs.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:56 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Atheists imagine themselves as more sophisticated than others...as if they have the ANSWER .
Or just more grown up? No need for imaginary pacifier?

Old 04-04-2016, 03:00 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
A dig?

per·se·cu·tion com·plex
noun
an irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others.

The day I see something intelligent and substantive come with your name attached at the top I might just pass out from shock .

Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM

Atheism may not be a religious belief but it is a belief.
Either God exists or he doesn't so the a priori probability is 50/50.
Therefore the complete lack of any belief regarding God's existence would be 50/50.
If you don't believe that it is 50-50 then you clearly have formed a belief.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The day I see something intelligent and substantive come with your name attached at the top I might just pass out from shock .
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-will-3-a.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...d-serpent.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...sses-cast.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...sis-movie.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...mt-moriah.html

Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
As I said ....sorry , I didn't pass out . You don't even seem to know the Bible verse you quote. It's raise, not raze .

Last edited by wallflash; 04-04-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality