Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 11:16 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Allegedly. Unfortunately for you the only thing that confirms that is your Bible. Your task now is to show that your Bible is true.
I am getting the impression that you didn't read what I wrote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 11:20 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I am getting the impression that you didn't read what I wrote
I get the impression that you don't like answering questions. Do you believe that gods, any gods, exist?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
It's a way of pretending you're superior. I like to say stuff like that too when I have disagreements on opinions just to rile people up. For example, I claim I don't believe in catastrophic climate change because I see no evidence, which has the effect of implying that those who believe in it are irrational. In truth every opinion is a belief. A belief is what you think or believe is true, whether it's true or not.
You using the term 'belief' in a different sense here. It's like me saying I have faith in my car's brakes when what I mean is, I have confidence in the brakes. But if I said I believe my brakes are good, I actually mean I do not have full confidence that they are good but rather, I think they might be OK but I could be wrong. Very different from when a theist says he believes in God.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:04 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
It's a pity that what looked an interesting thread seems to have collapsed into the old dickering abut the logical soundness of the atheist position and trying to make it look logically unsound, no matter what they say.

If atheists had an unsound position, like flat out claiming that nothing you could call God could possibly exist or definite knowledge that no gods existed, a single explanation of how logically untenable that position was would oblige us to adopt the logical tenable position of disbelief until some good reason to believe is produced. Which is actually the atheist position.

How like that equally footling Creationists argument that evolution is cats from dogs, no matter how often we demonstrate that it isn't.

And of course, posting wads of text from Revelation or Ezekiel is utterly irrelevant to those who don't regard the Bible as credible.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You using the term 'belief' in a different sense here. It's like me saying I have faith in my car's brakes when what I mean is, I have confidence in the brakes. But if I said I believe my brakes are good, I actually mean I do not have full confidence that they are good but rather, I think they might be OK but I could be wrong. Very different from when a theist says he believes in God.
It's remarkable how often the argument is presented in terms of atheists trying to feel superior or trying to rile the believers. I suspect that is how we make them feel with much better arguments - which annoys them - so they accuse us of doing it for that reason. Understandable when the apologist doesn't have many other cards to play, but really irrelevant to the force of the argument, even if it was true.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:23 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's remarkable how often the argument is presented in terms of atheists trying to feel superior or trying to rile the believers. I suspect that is how we make them feel with much better arguments - which annoys them - so they accuse us of doing it for that reason. Understandable when the apologist doesn't have many other cards to play, but really irrelevant to the force of the argument, even if it was true.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I am neither a theist nor an atheist.
Gods existence is completely irrelevant to my existance, my view of reality, and my understanding of right and wrong.

You are then an atheist , as you are , with regards to having a God you actively believe in

a ( without)

theist ( a belief in God)

Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
It's a way of pretending you're superior. I like to say stuff like that too when I have disagreements on opinions just to rile people up. For example, I claim I don't believe in catastrophic climate change because I see no evidence, which has the effect of implying that those who believe in it are irrational. In truth every opinion is a belief. A belief is what you think or believe is true, whether it's true or not.

Not in the way you mean it . Consider this . There is a theory held by a very few scientists that life evolved from multiple events of abiogenesis , and that there are some lower life forms like bacteria and viruses that are not a part of the same tree of life as plants and animals . Most scientists hold to the idea that there was only one abiogenesis event and all life sprang from that one event . With regards to multiple abiogenesis, I would have disbelief in the idea, because there has been little convincing evidence presented for this . So I disbelieve in multiple abiogenesis . On the other hand I cannot say I believe it did not occur , because this is a new idea and science really hasn't dealt with it, and so there is little evidence against multiple abiogenesis .

So while I can say I disbelieve claims about multiple abiogenesis , I cannot say I believe it cannot be correct . The two are not the same.

In the same vein, to say one disbelieves in the existence of God is not the same as saying I believe God does not and cannot exist . The first is based on a lack of evidence . The second requires evidence that atheists don't claim to have . The difference is apparent to intelligent people .

Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM

20,003 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I believe that granpa joins the proud company of people who just like to yank people's chains and watch the ensuing fun rather than engage in substantive and intellectually honest discussion. I believe the technical term is "troll". In fact unlike most trolls who at least consistently flog a pet viewpoint, guys like granpa happily jump around, to wherever they can have the most fun. Granpa is equally happy making scripture quotewalls as he is posting quasi-pseudo-profundities.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I believe that granpa joins the proud company of people who just like to yank people's chains and watch the ensuing fun rather than engage in substantive and intellectually honest discussion. I believe the technical term is "troll". In fact unlike most trolls who at least consistently flog a pet viewpoint, guys like granpa happily jump around, to wherever they can have the most fun. Granpa is equally happy making scripture quotewalls as he is posting quasi-pseudo-profundities.

Yeah I'm about ready to put him in the same " Not Worth Engaging" folder as a couple of others who seem to specialize in yanking chains and acting obtuse in their responses .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality