Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

Also, Viz, although yes, more people overall in the U.S. are Christian which would seem to slate the overall numbers unfairly (that makes sense), this still points to: no, religion sure as heck does not automatically produce morality in people, nor, apparently, stop them from committing crimes; certainly it would not appear to give a leg up this way v. atheism (or non-Christian religions).

I mean there's just no way around the fact: we are overwhelmingly, majority Christian (self-identifying Christian) but being religious does not stop people from committing crimes (not just sex crimes but all crime), ergo, obviously does not instill morality.

If it did instill morality, then we, being an overwhelmingly majority Christian nation, would have among the lowest crime rates in the entire world. In reality, it appears to work the other way - the least religious nations in the world often have the lowest crime rates at least among first-world nations.

Therefore, to get back to my original request which you have ignored, it is not only reprehensible that that "atheist" molested six boys, it is comparatively rare and therefore all the more shocking. May I see the link? That's the request you've ignored. I'd love to know what I can do about this issue, so please provide the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's terrible and serious, do you have a link to this story?

It's all the more shocking for its rarity, as, AFAIK, a considerably secure numeric majority of sex offenders self report as having been, and currently being lifelong Christians. Let me know if you need that link, I'm on my Kindle right now.
There was a thread on it in A/A I recall. ah..no, here on R/S

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...st-leader.html

The point is not to blame such doings on religion, but to question the often heard suggestion that unbelief (and thus no morality) will lead to wrongdoing. There is also a secondary question about the idea that having faith makes one a better person.

I don't for myself feel that that picking up the odd bod caught with hands where they shouldn't be proves anything either way, but it does undermine the claim (sometimes argued) that we need religion, true or not, simply to stop civilization collapsing. The only real question is whether any religion is true.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Also, Viz, although yes, more people overall in the U.S. are Christian which would seem to slate the overall numbers unfairly (that makes sense), this still points to: no, religion sure as heck does not automatically produce morality in people, nor, apparently, stop them from committing crimes; certainly it would not appear to give a leg up this way v. atheism (or non-Christian religions).

I mean there's just no way around the fact: we are overwhelmingly, majority Christian (self-identifying Christian) but being religious does not stop people from committing crimes (not just sex crimes but all crime), ergo, obviously does not instill morality.

If it did instill morality, then we, being an overwhelmingly majority Christian nation, would have among the lowest crime rates in the entire world. In reality, it appears to work the other way - the least religious nations in the world often have the lowest crime rates at least among first-world nations.
Considering the fact that YOU GUYS are the ones defining who is and is not a Christian it is no surprise to us that "Christians" commit those crimes.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There was a thread on it in A/A I recall. The point is not to blame such doings on religion, but to question the often heard suggestion that unbelief (and thus no morality) will lead to wrongdoing. There is also a secondary question about the idea that having faith makes one a better person.

I don't for myself feel that that picking up the odd bod caught with hands where they shouldn't be proves anything either way, but it does undermine the claim that we need religion, rue or not, simply to stop civilization collapsing. The only real question is whether any religion is true.
So what you're saying is...nobody has the link.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Considering the fact that YOU GUYS are the ones defining who is and is not a Christian it is no surprise to us that "Christians" commit those crimes.
I sure am not, LOL. If the person says "I'm Christian," there's my criterion right there. S/he's Christian.

It seems to me that YOU GUYS (heh heh!) are the ones saying, retroactively, "That person was NEVER a Christian" as you scuttle backward away from any link/association.

So who's the one saying who's Christian and who's not? I'm the one definitely not making that judgment, I'm believing people to their word and in fact, even the link I provided was to a study that was self-reported.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Everyone keeps correcting you on that. We do not defined who is and who is not a Christian. That is up to each person to do so for themselves. You can claim that you do not think they are a good Christian but you cannot claim that someone who labels them self as a Christian is actually an atheist or a Buddists. You seem to think that we are doing the labelling, no it is the person themselves. Why is that difficult to comprehend?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I sure am not, LOL. If the person says "I'm Christian," there's my criterion right there. S/he's Christian.
Exactly. You're saying that a "Christian" is simply someone that claims affiliation, no matter what they ACTUALLY believe or do. You reject what actual Christians say is a Christian. What a shocker when the guy that attended VBS once when he was 7 and has never been back since, or the guy that stopped going to church after he was confirmed in 1978, or the guy that goes to church maybe twice a year is a criminal!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You can claim that you do not think they are a good Christian but you cannot claim that someone who labels them self as a Christian is actually an atheist or a Buddists.
Why?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Exactly. You're saying that a "Christian" is simply someone that claims affiliation, no matter what they ACTUALLY believe or do. You reject what actual Christians say is a Christian. What a shocker when the guy that attended VBS once when he was 7 and has never been back since, or the guy that stopped going to church after he was confirmed in 1978, or the guy that goes to church maybe twice a year is a criminal!
Oh! So you know what people actually believe? Deep down inside?

You're the judge of that?

As far as what they "do," I thought one of the things that "real Christians" do is make mistakes, or do you guys no longer do that?

As far as your examples above, the study I linked was for people who professed a lifelong association with Christianity (there were various categories they could choose from) and therefore your examples don't actually apply here.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Viz, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You've often posted that you, me, everybody - including newborn babies - are all just sinful bags of flesh infecting the planet.

Yet Christians who commit crimes aren't Christians - in Vizioworld.

Are Muslims who commit crimes still Muslims?

How about Animists?

Oh! I betcha think Atheists who commit crimes are DEFINITELY Atheists!

Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality