Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 03:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Having lived through years of waterboarding-level torture probably affects my definition of "toiling".
That's true, if you've driven the 405 for any length of time, having a fingernail ripped out with pliers probably makes you frown slightly.

I feel your pain, Dew, LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
If the headlines ever start reading Christian did good deed then you have something to worry about. Same as headline telling us there no horrendous accident yesterday or no war between Canada and the USA today.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If the headlines ever start reading Christian did good deed then you have something to worry about. Same as headline telling us there no horrendous accident yesterday or no war between Canada and the USA today.
Are you suggesting that we should expect a Christian to do good deeds?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Are you suggesting that we should expect a Christian to do good deeds?
Even worse then that, I expect everyone to do good deeds.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:57 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Even worse then that, I expect everyone to do good deeds.
Yeah. You're right.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:44 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is your narrative and perception evidently but it is not reality and it is not justified. I have never seen anyone here claim that religion forces a spiritual leader to rape.

Another instance of bearing false witness. No such claim is or ever has been made.

Of COURSE there are areligious rapists, etc.

That is not the point. The point is that religious people make extraordinary claims of an authoritative and superior morality, then fail to demonstrate it in practice. And then, often, can be shown to be offering forgiveness and mercy to the perpetrators of truly heinous crimes against children, while ignoring and sometimes even blaming the victims.

NONE of this is unique to religion; that is not the point.

If you make no special moral claims for your belief-system, then we have no particular issue with you on this.

It sounds like you are begging the question. Can you demonstrate evidence that Christians are under-represented in prison populations? You know that you can't. The fact is that they are mildly OVER represented. And atheists are somewhat under-represented -- by most of the numbers I have seen in recent years. I don't put much stock in those weak associations, but I certainly am not seeing a statistically significant superior moral outcome for those who claim superior morality.

True enough that I won't dispute it as such. Officially, on paper, to my knowledge, no religion of any consequence or following overtly instructs its people to do harmful things, with the exception of Scientology. Although you can certainly find some adherents to your religion and to Christianity for example who INTERPRET justifications for doing harmful things to others, up to an including killing unbelievers.

What if I say this,
A God fearing man is less likely to rape a kid, but a non-believer in God, someone who has no concern of God's justice (an Atheist) is quite likely to abuse the name of religion by taking the camouflage under religious morality, and prey on kids.

By this reason and logic, I can very easily conclude and FIRMLY BELIEVE IN IT, that ALL pedophile pastors are actually Atheists at heart who are simply wearing a cloak of religion. These criminal Atheists have no believe in God or his justice.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What if I say this,
A God fearing man is less likely to rape a kid, but a non-believer in God, someone who has no concern of God's justice (an Atheist) is quite likely to abuse the name of religion by taking the camouflage under religious morality, and prey on kids.

By this reason and logic, I can very easily conclude and FIRMLY BELIEVE IN IT, that ALL pedophile pastors are actually Atheists at heart who are simply wearing a cloak of religion. These criminal Atheists have no believe in God or his justice.
One could say anything. Doesn't make it either logical or true.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
One could say anything. Doesn't make it either logical or true.
Anything ????
just like one says "I lack the belief in the existence of God". It must neither be logical or true. correct?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:20 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In yet ANOTHER story of good deeds, a Christian pastor recently did something nice for his community. He took his neighbor (non church-goer) to a detox center 90 minutes away where he was able to get sober. 6 months later, the man is still sober and very grateful for the help received.
What's sad is that this is even news.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Anything ????
just like one says "I lack the belief in the existence of God". It must neither be logical or true. correct?
If you are trying to get at what I think about God that is not the language I would use.

In my opinion there lacks evidence for any or all of the gods and goddesses. Is it true. Yes it is true that is my opinion. Is it true that there are no gods? If I thought it was true I would have said that no gods or goddesses exist.

Somethings a person says can be logical and true, some can be logical but not true, some things can be illogical and true and others illogical and not true. So you put forth a false dichotomy that is I said not all things are logical or true that things must be illogical and not true.

A statement like the Oilers are going to be in next year's Stanley Cup Finals will have to wait until next spring but it could be based on things that can be combinations of both logical and illogical.

Anyway if you think that an atheist would spend his life in a church just to get at kids but no religious person would ever go after kids, I think you would be mistaken. I doubt you even believe that.

There are good and bad people of every faith and those without faith. Those part of an organization should be responsible for holding that organization to the highest standard possible. And we all should do good deeds without expectations of it reaching the national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality