Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:50 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
...Free will, as I understand it, is a theological gimmick to blame us for God being a poor manager of the world he made.
do you really believe that? or are you being flippant?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-17-2016 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:41 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galveston201 View Post
How to know you're going to heaven when I die will suicide keep me from going to heaven despite being baptistery ask for heaven on Facebook and say Joel Ostend prayer 7 times
Joel Osteen maybe a good inspirational speaker but he knows zilch about the bible and the way he lives proves it.

I am sure he does a good thing in inspiring people toward love and such but that is about as far as it gets with him.

An Atheist could do what Joel does.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
My opinion on that?

Quit the opposite. Mankind blames God for its own behavioral problems.

Case in point: Gen_3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

The way things are is because you......blaming God. Personal responsibility? Out the door.

The reason things are the way they are is because you, yourself are as gods. (Lower case g)

Gen_3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us......

The designing of the Adam could only become a living soul at a consequence. Independence.

Independence brings separation and separation equates as death to the soul, meaning making the world our master.

So, in our making of you and I, we are both made subject to death via independence.

What is not being considered here is God's remedy. Once lost but now found are the words to a hym which points to the fact that God in Jesus came to save that which was lost, and now......well if you will consider Jesus as your savoir, you shall...right now.... be saved.

So, blame ourselves for not grasping the magnitude of that.

Hope this helps.

Blessings, AJ

Old 06-18-2016, 03:28 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

That's an issue that really bugs me, freewill.

Sometimes I am convinced that there is no such thing and if there is no such thing it means that everyone was assigned to already do what they do and the whole thing is just growth, and then I say,'' naa.''

I think that Joseph and David could have had no other life and then there is the saying.

I don't know, it gets me, Is there really freewill?

I could go either way.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 PM

I take free will to mean:

Our ability to govern ourselves for the good and or for evil. No in between. That portion of free will is ours to keep.

The part of free will that is not ours is the works of God in the process of creation and salvation of that creation.

That is totally a work of God. No one but God Himself could and would perform a task so daunting as to take on all the sins of the world and apply unconditional forgiveness in the form of Grace.

Not one human being, born of ADAM could perform such a task save God Himself in a fleshly form.

Our will, free will, deals with only the things of the flesh because as gods, we are our own judge of things in the flesh and therefore, have consequences.

There is one verse that deals with what happens to some, examples are: dying in a war, live in poverty, live in riches, be a movie star, a sports star, being in the wrong place at the right time, suffering disasters, born with abnormalities etc.

That verse is this one: Ecc_9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

How fittingly the chapter and verse 9:11.

So, for some, as like some on this thread have views and beliefs that require themselves to practice certain things while others do not. Not to say one is wrong over the other but rather that diversity is the mother of all trials to distinguish the tolerances gained or not gained, hopefully, for the good and not evil. Such as hate.

The stories, of Joseph and David, God used to symbolize the similarities between them and the coming Christ.

Again, I emphasize the works of God in the verse Hosea 12:10. Similitude's.

Noah, simiiar to a type of Christ.
The ark similiar to a type of Christ
The sacrificial goat in the story of Abraham similar to a type of Christ
A type of Moses, of Joseph, of David, a lamb, a lion all similar too's etc.

A special spirit is embedded into selected few that God can work with to shape the turn of events to His cause, but not without that individuals struggling with their own conscience.

Moses had reservations so God had to include Arron.
David struggled with the taking of Uriah's wife.
Pilate struggled with carrying out of the sentence of Jesus' crucifixion.
Judas struggled with the betrayal.
Samson struggled with falling for his own strength

I mean there are many stories, personalities similar to or a picture of the coming Messiah.
Even Jesus asked the Father, If, this cup could pass struggled with obedience.

Free will in all of them? Absolutely. If it weren't that way, there would be no struggle.

Blessings, AJ

Old 06-18-2016, 10:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Quit the opposite. Mankind blames God for its own behavioral problems.
Who else would one blame other that the person/thing that is allegedly in control. When the bus crashes because the driver didn't bother to stop at the red light it is the fault of the driver...but the skewed logic of Christians blame the passengers for the driver crashing the bus!

Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Who else would one blame other that the person/thing that is allegedly in control. When the bus crashes because the driver didn't bother to stop at the red light it is the fault of the driver...but the skewed logic of Christians blame the passengers for the driver crashing the bus!
Good point but.....we are comparing apples to oranges.

A lack of knowledge, and understating will result in a lack of wisdom.

That is why we should seek God as our inner spirit is prompting us and not dismiss it because we want to do our own thing.

Make sense?

Blessings, AJ

Old 06-19-2016, 12:50 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Good point but.....we are comparing apples to oranges.
No we are not. If something/someone is in control of something and it goes wrong then the person/thing that is in control is to blame. That's why CEOs of companies resign when it all blows up. They are in charge; they carry the can.

Quote:
A lack of knowledge, and understating will result in a lack of wisdom.
Yes....what does that have to do with the price of oranges?

Quote:
That is why we should seek God as our inner spirit is prompting us and not dismiss it because we want to do our own thing.
I don't dismiss your god because I want to do my own thing. I dismiss your god because I have no belief in gods. The logic and reason with which I dismiss your god is the EXACT same logic and reason YOU use to dismiss flying horses. I do not need a god to tell me how to behave toward others.

Quote:
Make sense?
No....not at all!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:03 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Spot on!

I would rather become a beacon of light and light up the Universe.
Truly wonderful and "killer" comeback! But as you know, Joel Osteen is our Lord and Savior (as Moses was also undoubtedly called) shining beacons of light upon the whole Universe as he continues with a livelihood of not even money-changing but simply money-collecting for singing hand-of-the-market songs in Ivory Towers.

If I could vote on leadership in the great dark jumble of Heavenly Politics it would surely be for some open and heroic hearts expressing just that sentiment... rather than idiotic fascism based on señority and might-makes-right ideas along with wasteful flip-flopping rules and needless self-child-human-blood-sacrifice assisted-suicides.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What if someone you loved dearly was there?
The feeling was obviously not mutual in that situation (unless some robotic copy with their feelings and memory wiped is up there in blissful ignorance like some deluded Diva).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality