Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
You said you wanted to talk about "reason".

And I am saying, everyone has their reasons in doing what they do. And you don't necessarily have to agree with their reasons.

But then there are some who don't know - just like you don't know the reason why were you born.
And my question was about the reasons we should go by the prohibitions you listed. You apparently don't have a reason for that, so I assume you just go by "God said it, so do it." If you feel there really is a valid reason for following those prescriptions, go for it. I'm not here to play word games. My question was, "is there a good reason for prohibiting lying,....." Please assume standard English, it helps communication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Messiah comes teaching the great secrets of Torah and that is his mission, ....
If you believe it is about esoteric knowledge, have a ball, so long as no one is harmed. I believe that Jesus delivered a very simple message, and our job is to implement it.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Basically, I get that you are saying "God said it so just do it." A concept of God that I find disturbing and the basis for more atrocities than we can imagine.
Quote:
And my question was about the reasons we should go by the prohibitions you listed. You apparently don't have a reason for that, so I assume you just go by "God said it, so do it." If you feel there really is a valid reason for following those prescriptions, go for it. I'm not here to play word games. My question was, "is there a good reason for prohibiting lying,....." Please assume standard English, it helps communication.
As you and I know, nate, the reason is not to hurt or harm anyone else but that seems too simple and straightforward for the Obeyers. The Obeyers think we are just supposed to OBEY God, period. Their reason is to BE obedient pets.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:57 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Tell me the reason why were you born?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
That may be fine for the individual to practice but it certainly should not be a basis for imposing ANY proscription on other people.
I agree with you.
Who is trying to force you to not eat pork, or to not mix meat and milk?

I still don't understand why you are so upset about how other people eat.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2016 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-30-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Their reason is to BE obedient pets.
such derision
such hostility
such anger

why? and who exactly is it you hold such animosity towards?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Messiah comes teaching the great secrets of Torah and that is his mission, he began doing this in 6 a.d. and then it was delayed until 30 a.d. or so.
Quote:
If you believe it is about esoteric knowledge, have a ball, so long as no one is harmed. I believe that Jesus delivered a very simple message, and our job is to implement it.
Amen!!It just dawned on me that Hannibal must be a Messianic-Kabbalist. Shows that I am getting slower on the uptake these days. Of course, I can always use the excuse that I have not been reading the majority of his TLDR posts.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
.... I believe that Jesus delivered a very simple message, and our job is to implement it.
so then you are an Obeyer? I am still not clear on what the whole Obeyer thing is but this sounds like it fits

Old 06-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
As you and I know, nate, the reason is not to hurt or harm anyone else but that seems too simple and straightforward for the Obeyers. The Obeyers think we are just supposed to OBEY God, period. Their reason is to BE obedient pets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
such derision
such hostility
such anger
why? and who exactly is it you hold such animosity towards?
Sorry but I do not see any of the derision, hostility or anger you seem to see in that post. It is a straightforward statement of fact. The Obeyers do not even try to see what spiritual principle might underlie the proscriptions they follow. It is enough that they believe God said it. They are carnal-minded about them, not spiritual-minded. This cannot aid spiritual maturity, IMO. I hold no animosity toward anyone.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry but I do not see any of the derision, hostility or anger you seem to see in that post....I hold no animosity toward anyone.
yes, you do
calling someone an "obedient pet" is saying they are an animal that is too dumb to think for themselves but only trained to do what they are told

if that is not what you mean be "obedient pet" then clarify what you mean
and it is entirely disingenuous to say that "obedient pet" is not a derisive derogatory term in the context you repeatedly use it

in derisively calling other humans "animals" because you consider them inferior to yourself in matters of holiness, your view is similar to that found in Islam holy text calling other humans "apes and pigs." It appears you share the same mindset in that regard: that of superiority and supremacy.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2016 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality