Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As an exercise in futility I waded through the whole thread (on the reason for abstaining from pork) and find two basic approaches that should be of interest: "God said it so just do it" and "the reason for this is...."

What is most fascinating is that some of those who say "God said it" about OTHER things say "the reason is..." about this.

What interests me most about the "God said it" approach is the idea that God would declare something wrong or "abominable" apparently on a whim: no rationale needed or used. The "might is right" approach if you look at it. What is most interesting is the insane extremes this can be carried to as in the current requirement in Jewish culture that meat and dairy have NO chance of mixing.... based on the prohibition against seething a kid in its mother's milk. Even a superficial look at that prohibition with the idea of finding a reason should indicate that it is a specific example of black magic or necromancy practiced in Canaan of the time, and the idea is to refrain from such magic (the use of magic or formulae to obtain benefits is an insult to the grace of God, but that's another subject). I'd say that mindless following of the formula prohibiting meat and dairy is a form of the magic the original prohibition was intended to curtail.

On the other side of the question, Jesus said that it is not what you put into your mouth that defiles you, but what comes out. Obviously that is a bit of hyperbole, but the point remains that there are comestibles that under some conditions are dangerous but not under others, and some that may be harmful if taken in too great a quantity. The human body is amazing in its capacity to process some toxins without harm, but that also varies greatly from person to person. The trick is to know what works for you, and not to require others to be bound by your limitations.
I think the comparison of apoproaches to how to decide merits its own thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
it is not clear in the opening post what you are asking,
however the derisive adjectives you use towards something you clearly hold disdain for are revealing:

"insane" "mindless" "black magic" "on a whim" "insult to God"

more accurate, less disparaging phrases might be "i don't understand" or "this does not make sense to me" or "i do things differently"
is the purpose of your opening post to denigrate those who eat differently than you do? why such hostility?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-29-2016 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 PM

Well, enighten me: what IS the purpose of "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk." If taking hair splitting to extremes is not insane, what would you call it?

I stepped on your culture. I doubt that there is any culture that is free of insanity and religious elements are the most prevalent. Classical Greece had the concept that people could accidentally tick off the Gods, it's the whole basis of Oedipus. Currently, most of established Christianity in America is suffering under the insane idea that God requires a blood sacrifice in order to forgive our mistakes. So, what?

Last edited by nateswift; 06-29-2016 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
so eat what you want.
why the hostility?

Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
To OP,

You are, what you eat .... as they old saying goes.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so eat what you want.
why the hostility?
It is not about eating, it is about the whole approach to antique religious laws. "two basic approaches that should be of interest: 'God said it so just do it' and 'the reason for this is....'"

So, what is the reason for "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk."

Old 06-30-2016, 01:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It is not about eating, it is about the whole approach to antique religious laws.
So how should we approach the "antique religious laws" that advise NOT to steal, speak a lie, hurt anyone, take the life of an innocent person, back biting, cheating, deceiving, drug use etc?

Should we also call them antique religious laws and take them out of judicial and social systems, and also from our day to day lives? They are "antique religious laws" after all, no?

Let's see if you any double standards for "antique religious laws"?

And you also haven't responded to my early statement where I said, there could be a third reason why people choose not to eat certain things as they believe in "You are, what you eat".

Old 06-30-2016, 03:14 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
On the abstaining from Pork The hazards of eating pork not cooked enough we get parasites like tape worms , and pin worms and hook worms and even some trichinella spiralis , E.coli, salmonella , gastroenteritis hazards .....See God knew that without refrigeration and poor cooking techniques people would get ill so God used this probation of unclean Pork with these people

Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So how should we approach the "antique religious laws" that advise NOT to steal, speak a lie, hurt anyone, take the life of an innocent person, back biting, cheating, deceiving, drug use etc?

Should we also call them antique religious laws and take them out of judicial and social systems, and also from our day to day lives? They are "antique religious laws" after all, no?

Let's see if you any double standards for "antique religious laws"?

And you also haven't responded to my early statement where I said, there could be a third reason why people choose not to eat certain things as they believe in "You are, what you eat".
Work on your reading comprehension. "You are what you eat" would be giving a reason for the proscription no matter how valid or not that reason might be.

Answer your first question yourself, is there a good reason for prohibiting lying, straling, hurting people, murder, backbiting, cheating, deceiving or drug use, or are they just given because "God says so?"

What is so hard about comparing the two approaches?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
On the abstaining from Pork The hazards of eating pork not cooked enough we get parasites like tape worms , and pin worms and hook worms and even some trichinella spiralis , E.coli, salmonella , gastroenteritis hazards .....See God knew that without refrigeration and poor cooking techniques people would get ill so God used this probation of unclean Pork with these people
then, hljc, your approach is to show that there is a good reason for the prohibition and it is not just a whim.

See how it works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality