Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM

76 posts, read 187,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Did you notice the part that says "FOR THE DEAD?" That implies you should only refrain from tattooing in honor of the dead, and doesn't really apply to general "beautifying" art.
There are actually two commands in this verse and you quoted only the first one.
The second one says: NOR PRINT ANY MARKS UPON YOU: I AM The LORD!

When God commands His people to do something, it's because that thing is an abomination to Him and He detests it.
What part of "Thou shalt not" are we not getting?

Proverbs 16:18 ¶Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostball View Post
There are actually two commands in this verse and you quoted only the first one.

When God commands His people to do something, it's because that thing is an abomination to Him and He detests it.

Proverbs 16:18 ¶Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Geez...Why do you care if people want to decorate themselves. It is not your judgment to make.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:35 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm gainfully employed in a professional (Master's required) field, AND I have 13 tattoos... sorry to burst your bubble, but a tattoo doesn't always equal "unemployable" - except maybe in the case of that dude above, LOL. And no, this Jewish (albeit Agnostic beliefs) girl couldn't care less about body art.
I agree. It doesn't always equal "unemployable" but I think you'd agree that there are many professions where it would be more difficult to land a position if a person had a noticeable tat. Not saying its right or wrong.. but people are judgemental and if you are sitting in front of someone for an interview, the first thing they register.. is a "look".

Now.. if they are covered up then the playing field would be equal again.

As an example..

someone walks into an interview with this..

I actually think its a nice tatoo.. But if I'm hiring someone who is going to be out in front of people within the organization or outside the organization and will represent the organization.. then I gotta say.. the job won't be offered.. because in the end.. I can't judge how others (within or outside the organization) will react.. so the best way to mitigate that risk.. is to not put myself in that position.

BTW.. I've always wanted "emosewA" tattoed on my chest.. that way when I look in the mirror I'll feel better about myself..

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
I think we've stumbled in one of those "I don't do it therefore god doesn't want it either" symptoms. Its the heavy metal issue all over again

Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Do you think He would have sat down and had a cigarette or a bottle of beer with you?
I SO think he would have had a bottle or three of beer with me.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Some tattoos are artwork and are very religious in theme. In fact, many tattoos are extremely religious (Christian) in theme. Why would God mind that? Why would He mind the pretty rose on my daughter's breast which only her husband can see?

On the other hand...some tattoos & piercings are really yucky and are demonic in theme. But I still don't see why God would care. If He made that person and knows what's in that person's soul (as Christians believe) then it shouldn't surprise Him.

It's a personal thing...not something everyone likes or approves of, but if someone wants to carve themselves up, tattoos their heads and faces and pierce every inch of their bodies, then that's their business and they will have to deal with whatever the consequences may be...good or bad. It's how they act and live their lives that matters, not how they decorate their bodies.

And I wish our fundamentalists would speak in their own words to express themselves and stop using a continual speil of Bible-talk.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Lostball wrote:
Quote:
Do you think He would have sat down and had a cigarette or a bottle of beer with you?
As I recall Jesus was pretty good at turning water into wine. If he had thought that alcohol was sinful do you think he would have performed that neat little trick?

Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Lostball wrote:

As I recall Jesus was pretty good at turning water into wine. If he had thought that alcohol was sinful do you think he would have performed that neat little trick?

Yeah, I never have understood why come Christians believe Jesus wouldnt enjoy a glass of wine.

I've mentioned before that tattoos are a personal decision and I think it's wrong to assume that someone who has them is not loyal to God. Some people view it as simply a form of expression...they aren't rebellious or wild at all. It can be a beautiful form of art. And the bible does not speak against the type of tattoos that people get nowadays, so far be it from us as Christians to let our personal opinions allow us to berate those who do. If you don't like them...fine.

By the way, someone pointed out my mistake earlier when I misquoted a scripture. Thanks for that...I was actually thinking of the scripture that speaks of stumbling blocks. Christians have to consider those in ALL aspects of your life.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I agree. It doesn't always equal "unemployable" but I think you'd agree that there are many professions where it would be more difficult to land a position if a person had a noticeable tat. Not saying its right or wrong.. but people are judgemental and if you are sitting in front of someone for an interview, the first thing they register.. is a "look".

Now.. if they are covered up then the playing field would be equal again.

As an example..

someone walks into an interview with this..

I actually think its a nice tatoo.. But if I'm hiring someone who is going to be out in front of people within the organization or outside the organization and will represent the organization.. then I gotta say.. the job won't be offered.. because in the end.. I can't judge how others (within or outside the organization) will react.. so the best way to mitigate that risk.. is to not put myself in that position.
That's actually a Henna tattoo, which is not permanent - but I get your point. Of course people will judge, but hopefully a manager will hire based on qualifications, and at the most ask employees to cover their tattoos. Mine are visible in certain outfits, and the one on my upper back is almost always peeking out. But I have an advanced degree, excellent references, 5 years of experience in my field, and I interview very well... so luckily my (current & past) employers were smart enough to see beyond the ink, and nobody has ever even mentioned it. Actually, my current supervisor thinks they're cool, and recently joked that I should read "Punk Chicken" at our next storytime (I'm a children's librarian & manager). Maybe it's different because I live in California, but times they are a changin' - no matter where you live.

Oh, but once I was rejected for a job based on my nose ring (which I no longer have), and I thought that was ridiculous... because if they had only asked, I happily would have removed it for the position. Oh well, it was a crappy minimum wage job anway, and I probably make more than that boss now. As for the religious implications, that's obviously a personal thing - and if any employers rejected you based on that, it would likely be grounds for a lawsuit.

Quote:
BTW.. I've always wanted "emosewA" tattoed on my chest.. that way when I look in the mirror I'll feel better about myself..
LMAO... I could share some REALLY funny pictures of creative tattoos, but this is probably not the appropriate forum. Speaking of which, I apologize for straying off-topic from the religious discussion - but you started it, LOL.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Still part of the same phrase, which is speaking of marks for the dead... I have studied the Old Testament in-depth, and know perfectly well how to interpret these passages. But it's irrelevant anyway, since we have no idea what the original words said - even those of us who read Hebrew.

Quote:
Well, since I & many others here don't really follow the Bible, it's kind of a moot point. If you don't want tattoos based on that passage, more power to you... but I live my life a different way, and don't let a book dictate my decisions. Different strokes for different folks, as people often say on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality