Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM

28,106 posts, read 30,010,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
then how does anyone know if someone who has been outside mainstream christianity is trying / claiming to now be christian?

so yes, i see this as a my church is the only correct church and y'all are wrong treads..
I see it somewhat differently. I see it as people arbitrarily drawing a line, which separates the "acceptable" differences in doctrine from the "unacceptable" differences in doctrine. BaptistFundie has said that his church is "a good fit" for him. Why that is, we can only surmise. Presumably, he would say that other churches are okay, too, though, even if not his cup of tea. That's what really bugs me: Who is he or anyone else to claim the right to draw that line?

And why does he even care what label other people want to put on themselves? How is he hurt in any way but what I, or anyone else, call ourselves? Does it make him any less of a Christian if someone with a different perspective on certain Christian doctrines also uses that designator? It just boggles the mind.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-04-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM

15,885 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because I hold to orthodox Christian teaching as has been taught for 2000 years.
So it comes down to having the right beliefs? That sounds very familiar to me and was one of the motivating factors for me escaping. I can't go along with that. What about people who are genuinely devoted but are in error in their beliefs(according to you)? In the religious training I received those that failed to become JWs did so because of some wickedness on their part. How does that sound to you? Sounds to me like your brand of Christian to me.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Because I hold to orthodox Christian teaching as has been taught for 2000 years.
Do you accept Catholic doctrines as "orthodox Christian teachings"? What about the Marian Doctrines, for instance? Catholics would say that these have been taught for 2000 years. Do you believe that Jesus Christ taught some of the things about His mother that Catholic believe today?

(Note to any Catholics reading this: It's not my intent to bash Catholicism. I merely brought up the Marian Doctrines as an example of something Protestants do not typically accept as true.)

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
then how does anyone know if someone who has been outside mainstream christianity is trying / claiming to now be christian?

so yes, i see this as a my church is the only correct church and y'all are wrong treads..
I guess I'll just stop responding to you then, because no matter what I say, you'll say I'm lying.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll just stop responding to you then, because no matter what I say, you'll say I'm lying.
Is that a promise?

Old 10-04-2017, 04:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have to admit that I'm a little uncomfortable with the very idea of this thread. This subject would probably be more appropriate on one of the Christian-only forums.

On City-Data, we welcome all people who choose to identify themselves as Christians to be referred to as Christians.

That is because there are literally thousands and thousands of denominations calling themselves Christians, with numerous variations in their theologies.

Some of these differences are:
Is belief in the Trinity necessary for salvation?

Is the Sabbath on Saturday or Sunday?

Is baptism by immersion or by sprinkling?

Are babies baptized?

Must a profession of faith precede baptism?

Is a baptism from another denomination valid?

Is a confirmation a part of the ritual?

Are the sacraments available to non-members?

Is tithing a requirement?

Is confession a prerequisite to communion?

Is music used in worship services?

Can that music include instruments?

Does your church ordain women as ministers?
There are a variety of opinions about each of these items, and many more. It probably would not be difficult to double the size of that list. Discussing these issues is fine. Implying that any of them are sufficient to disqualify a congregation, organization, or denomination from being a valid Christian organization is what won't be happening in this inclusive rather than exclusive forum.

I'm not sure if this thread should be closed, moved to the Christianity, or left for discussion until it gets our of hand. Your thoughts are welcome.
You have stated CD policy. The thread is an attempt to justify going counter to CD policy. It should be closed.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
I heard this somewhere before. Maybe it's appropriate here: "Thanks for participating. Sorry you couldn't get more out of the thread."

Old 10-04-2017, 05:22 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Even though my hometown is Palmyra, NY, I'm not a Mormon. But here's my guess. If Christ walked into this forum today, I think he would welcome Mormons and minister to them just as he would welcome and minister to Baptist fundamentalists.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Even though my hometown is Palmyra, NY, I'm not a Mormon. But here's my guess. If Christ walked into this forum today, I think he would welcome Mormons and minister to them just as he would welcome and minister to Baptist fundamentalists.
I think you're quite right. I think He would welcome all who came to Him -- with open arms. I can't help but be reminded of an incident that is recounted in Mark 9:36-41:

"And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them, Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me. And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part. For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward."

Christ's Apostles were being so self-righteous and discriminatory. In essence they were saying, "Those whose beliefs about you are different from ours aren't 'real Christians'." And what did Jesus do? He rebuked them. He told them quite firmly that He recognizes all who serve their fellow men in His name. How this simple example continues to elude so many is beyond me.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-04-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM

15,885 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
I don't see how Zman called you a liar. Are you doing that thing where if someone disagrees with your opinion you take it as a personal attack on your character?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality