Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
It resides in the historical fiction area of my library. I think there are some good things to be learned from it, and a lot of things that are definitely not good. Like any good myth, there's generally an object lesson in the story, but it's not always a positive one.
Good point! Why would the bible be in the historical fiction area? (It's in the same section in my library too.) Have Christians ever fought for it to be in the non-fiction section? Very interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM

249 posts, read 532,151 times
Default These things stand for a symbolic drama...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
they are not stories, or myths. they are TESTIMONIES. there is the old, and then there is the new. biblical testimonials are real affidavits filled with memorials of those of the faith. the bible is a book of REMEMBERANCES of the testimonies of Jesus Christ. the bible from the old to the new books are filled with witnesses who have had their experiences recorded as evidence for those of us who have come behind them. the bible is just one of the credentials, and confirmations of Christ and his followers.
Hmmm.. (not feeling entirely convinced)

Something I can't remember.. is how many sons did Abraham have.. one.. two.. three.. or more.. ?

Maybe you can help.

-
“By faith Abraham when he was tried, offered up Isaac, his only begotten son.” - Hebrews 11:17
-

Then.. another passage in the bible.. clearly says.. he had two..

So.. could the story of Abraham be considered.. a symbolic drama..?

Or a a history..?

In the passage below.. isn't Paul explaining the cryptic meaning.. of one of the old testament stories.. ?

----

"For example, it is written that Abraham acquired two sons, one by the servant girl and one by the free woman; but the one born by the servant girl was actually born in the manner of the flesh, the other by the free woman through a promise.

These things stand for a symbolic drama; for these two women mean two covenants, the one from Mount Si'nai, which brings forth children for slavery, and which is Ha'gar. Now this Ha'gar means Si'nai, a mountain in Arabia, and she corresponds with the world today, for she is in slavery. But the world above is free and she is our mother.

For it is written: "Be glad, you barren woman who does not give birth; break out and cry aloud, you woman who does not have childbirth pains; for the children of the desolate woman are more numerous than those of her who has a husband. Now we, brothers, are children belonging to the promise. But just as then the one born in the manner of the flesh began persecuting the one born in the manner of the spirit, so also now." - Galatians 4:22
-

And.. if this is a symbolic story.. could this mean.. that all the other stories might be symbolic too.. ?

Like when Jesus walked on water.. ?

-

Last edited by accelerator; 03-26-2008 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
also the events in genesis 1 occur in different order from genesis 2

Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Good point! Why would the bible be in the historical fiction area? (It's in the same section in my library too.) Have Christians ever fought for it to be in the non-fiction section? Very interesting!
MY library. As in my rather large book collection at home. I have no idea where it is at the public library.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
I don't think the authors of the Bible had the same notions of fiction, nonfiction, history, etc. that you would find conveniently organized in a modern bookstore. I've always felt that it was a mix of all sorts of things, some of which were an explanation of actual historical events, stories and myths that represented concepts like good and evil and also the embellished mythology that had been handed down from one generation to the next in oral traditions. As I mentioned on another thread I started awhile back almost the entire population was illiterate and writers were few and far between and there weren't many people who were able to read what they had written. In order to understand any ancient written text like the Bible I think we need to try to examine what we know about the society that the authors lived in and what might have motivated them to write a particular passage or story. My own personal feeling is that we have mistakenly accepted the religious doctrine that states that these authors were somehow under the control of God who was dictating the text and the word for word account of actual events. I truly believe that the Bible is the most misunderstood book that's ever been written.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,575,282 times
at the time Abraham took Issac to mt Morriah --Isaac WAS his only son.

think timeline...........

Old 03-27-2008, 06:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
at the time Abraham took Issac to mt Morriah --Isaac WAS his only son.

think timeline...........
Ishmael was born before Isaac.
Isaac was the son with the birthright (the son from the promise of God, and the son from within his marriage).

Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
also the events in genesis 1 occur in different order from genesis 2
Genesis 1 = overview of entire act of creation
Genesis 2 = more detailed explanation of creation events on day six.

Complimentary not contradictory

Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Genesis 1 = overview of entire act of creation
Genesis 2 = more detailed explanation of creation events on day six.

Complimentary not contradictory
What part of the events happen in different order is not contradictory?
What part of accounts in what god does differ are complimentary?
What part of god is depicted in different ways doesn't make you think that the authors were just writing what they thought?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
What part of the events happen in different order is not contradictory?
What part of accounts in what god does differ are complimentary?
What part of god is depicted in different ways doesn't make you think that the authors were just writing what they thought?
If you'd be so kind as to provide specific examples of what you're referring to, I'd be happy to address them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality