Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:54 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Many people believe. as I do that everything happens for a reason. So, for the people that believe that, then whey do they pray for a different outcome when problems arise, for yourself or others.
My point is, prayer doesn't actually work. What's going to happen is going to happen.
Prayer to change the outcome of things external to your head doesn't work.

Prayer for guidance as to how I might respond to what's going to happen seems to do so, but it can be argued that this is just a function of the brain focusing in on a task with the details running in the background.

Still, I still believe in God as That Which Connects Us, and so I use prayer to tap into that source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 05:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Everything does not happen for a reason, some things are random.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Prayer for guidance as to how I might respond to what's going to happen seems to do so, but it can be argued that this is just a function of the brain focusing in on a task with the details running in the background.

Still, I still believe in God as That Which Connects Us, and so I use prayer to tap into that source.
You have a great way of putting things.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

Meditation, in fact. I can relate to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If God has had everything planned out from the beginning, then God planned for the serpent to corrupt Adam and Eve. The fall of humankind was planned from before their creation, as was the need for Jesus to suffer and die as an act of redemption. In other words, God is a manipulative psychotic sob. I prefer to take a more sympathetic view of God as a non existent figment of the imagination of childlike minds.
I agree but that doesn't solve the paradox of 'why pray if it's all planned?'

Old 05-25-2018, 06:33 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Well, then they get to say that god works in mysterious ways. It's part of the smoke and mirrors aspect of religion.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:08 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Many people believe. as I do that everything happens for a reason. So, for the people that believe that, then whey do they pray for a different outcome when problems arise, for yourself or others.
My point is, prayer doesn't actually work. What's going to happen is going to happen.
Jesus taught that time and unexpected events befall mankind as when the tower of Siloam fell killing 18 people.
They were just at the wrong place, wrong time - Luke 13:4-5; Ecclesiastes 9:11 B.

Prayer is often about spiritual matters such as accomplishing the spiritual work of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8.
Prayer works because that good news message of Daniel 2:44 has been proclaimed world wide.
Remember Job 2:4-5 because Satan challenges all of us. Touch our ' flesh ' ( loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God under adverse conditions. Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.
The choice is ours as to what can happen. We can prove faithful - Matthew 24:13.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:22 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Meditation, in fact. I can relate to that.

We have a "contemplative" Christian practice called Centering Prayer. The idea is that the language of God is silence, and so it's a time spent in silence, letting go of thoughts, and having a "sacred word" that brings you back when your mind inevitably wanders. It is similar to non-Christian meditation practices and, I suspect, serves the same purpose under a different name.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I used to subscribe to that "everything happens for a reason" stuff, predestination, etc. many decades ago in my dumb youth. I'm so glad I moved beyond that. God gives us and the universe lots of freedom. Overthinking though doesn't help one d@mn bit.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, then they get to say that god works in mysterious ways. It's part of the smoke and mirrors aspect of religion.
They do, but that is avoiding the paradox, not solving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I used to subscribe to that "everything happens for a reason" stuff, predestination, etc. many decades ago in my dumb youth. I'm so glad I moved beyond that. God gives us and the universe lots of freedom. Overthinking though doesn't help one d@mn bit.
Damn it and have done

Old 05-25-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
We have a "contemplative" Christian practice called Centering Prayer. The idea is that the language of God is silence, and so it's a time spent in silence, letting go of thoughts, and having a "sacred word" that brings you back when your mind inevitably wanders. It is similar to non-Christian meditation practices and, I suspect, serves the same purpose under a different name.
Why, that sounds exactlu like Vipassana Meditation in Buddhism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality