Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 4,214,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I value the exchange too

However, as the pilgrim in Bunyan says "I buy the truth". I don't want to buy what suits my preference (human conventions aside) but I want that my model of reality is as close a match to What Is as possible.

As Matt Dillahunty says: "I want to believe as many true things as possible".
"I buy the truth" is different from "I have a strategy for how I know I buy the truth."

I think we are all seeking the truth. How we get there, the strategy, is different for each person. That is not even considering if we have the same meaning of truth, not to mention if the strategy even obtains what is desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 01:18 AM

64,119 posts, read 40,434,705 times
Quote:
I find you one of the most patient and polite posters on the board.
Ditto

Old 05-31-2018, 04:40 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,626,402 times
Quote:

Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,528,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
... In other words, God is a manipulative psychotic sob.
I prefer to take a more sympathetic view of God as a non existent figment
of the imagination of childlike minds.
I would agree with your description of God...IF I believed the stories in the Bible!

I, also, understand if a person has not had direct contact, up close and very personal with
this Omnipresent Spirit...why would you believe in "Him"...or even think 'He" was loving or benevolent!?
Because someone told you to? Not in my book!
Seeing is believing...direct contact...nothing from hearsay...esp from savage, primitive minds with a 100 different translations!

My take.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 AM

22,844 posts, read 19,459,518 times
Here is a post that talks about how seeming "bad stuff" is actually yes planned and planned by us. It pertains to this thread about everything happens for a reason yes there is a plan and yes we planned it ourselves.

The plan is about taking responsibility for our thought speech feelings and action. The plan is about refining our character and how we treat others.

My observation is that the people who most kick and scream at "there is a plan" are the very same people who balk at and outright resist and reject taking responsibility for their own character refinement. They blame others. They deny they have free will. Anything to avoid looking within and taking responsibility.

Good post miss h, the one below that is. (Now about your phrase "savage primitive minds"..... that needs work....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ok, I have plenty I understand from different sources....here ya go:

We actually have choices, even when coming back here.
Now, sure you don't have to believe any of this, however, it is funny that books I read in the
70s concur with books now.
(But, wait! I have my own experiences, not from any book!)

Briefly, remember karma is not punishment...it is for learning, growth, understanding the nature
of Self or Reality or Creation, etc...to reach God or Enlightenment or Heaven or Home or Union.
Each society or religion has there own words...from ancient Greece to New Agey ideas.

We spend some time in the 'In-between' place...not some eternal Heaven.. not
hell..no floating around clouds...ok?

In this place before coming back here..we actually stand in front of a Council..think, a panel of Elders.
We present our case: "I wanna go back!
I wanna be born blind, to a black family of poor alcoholics!! Yeah!"
(Because we are anxious to grow, learn, progress..we understand so much more now!)
Elders: " Well, Bill, we understand your enthusiasm.

But you have been away from Earth for quit awhile.
And we think you have forgotten how tough it really
is there. So, you can be sent there being blind, but to
a white, middle class family. That alone should be enough for you to handle and you and all those
around you will grow tremendously in wisdom, patience, love and selflessness."

I myself as a young adult prayed, begged, asked, went to therapy to forgive my horrible father.
His treatment of me still effecting my personality and my relationships for decades.
(Catholics know forgiveness is huge for both parties!)
But, I got nothing. I still hated him.

One day about 5 years ago while doing a project...I was given 'a vision'. Stunned, almost breathless,
deer in headlights, middle of the day.. I hear my dad while I was in that 'In-between" place,
hanging out before coming here, say...
"I will be your father and you will be born my daughter and
I will treat you as you have treated women...so you will stop it once and for all."
(The telepathic implication: I will feel how I have hurt and broken women's spirits and hearts by lying, cheating,
2 timing, poo-poohing their emotions. Oh brother, was I a mean, insensitive, misogynistic male!!
Ya get a sense of the whole deal.)

And so, this terrible man was, in fact, so close to me as a soul friend, he did this for ME!
(From the moment he saw me in the hospital til the day he died he treated me terribly.)

He was the exact opposite of what I thought of him as ..the enemy, a terrible person...instead,
he was my best buddy through out diff lives.
Did I learn to be kinder....it took years to not have a temper...but, yes. I have finally learned
a deep soul lesson.
Wowsa, have I ever.

Background on me: I often have insights downloaded into my mind...I have been meditating for over 40 years..
anywhere from 1,2,3-6 hours a sitting, plus...even as a child I exp'd many 'supernatural or paranormal'
things; some people do, some people never have one experience so don't understand them.
I get it.

So there is my input. Take it or leave it from a person that probably has read every NDE book ever written.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-31-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 08:02 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,528,429 times
Re savage, primitive minds..

Fyi: the post of mine quoted above was in Buddhism...a thread on Karma and disabilities.

Tzaph...It is my opinion that early men thought in barbaric, savage ways...thus, why the depicting of God as a punishing, wrathful murderer...total projection.
And also, thinking slitting the throat of a lamb would appease ''Him"*...as if it was what 'He' wanted.
Classic NT: "Shall we stone her?"

*(God...who has no gender.)

Old 05-31-2018, 08:08 AM

20,272 posts, read 13,668,510 times
Quote:
Likewise. Gaylenwoof is a gentleman and a scholar. That doesn't preclude him from presenting truths others may find ... inconvenient or unpleasant.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 AM

50,140 posts, read 20,919,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
"I buy the truth" is different from "I have a strategy for how I know I buy the truth."

I think we are all seeking the truth. How we get there, the strategy, is different for each person. That is not even considering if we have the same meaning of truth, not to mention if the strategy even obtains what is desired.
True. I made a statement of intent. How I make it so is the next step. The first thing is the "Choice" we hear so much about; whether to use the tried or tested methods of sound reasoning and validated evidence, or to believe ONE of an infinite variety of unvalidated faith -claims (1), all claiming to be verified by personal experiences.

It is clear to me which way is the way more likely to provide me (unlike one online vending -venue I could name ) with the product I ordered and paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Likewise. Gaylenwoof is a gentleman and a scholar. That doesn't preclude him from presenting truths others may find ... inconvenient or unpleasant.
I don't mind that so much. I just find him presenting stuff that just makes me feel stupid.

(1) since you seem to be looking in, Mystic, this doesn't apply to you, so much (though it may have sounded like it), as you are more the one -size -fits -all type of theist, even if you do relate Agnostic-god to a Roman execution.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:16 AM

22,844 posts, read 19,459,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
gentlemen don't do snark.
neither do scholars.
nor do those with integrity.

sarcasm and malice are not effective tools of communication.

snark
Use of sarcasm or malice in speech; snide remarks

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-31-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM

50,140 posts, read 20,919,885 times
That's put me in my place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality