Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:45 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,719 times

Advertisements

Many people believe. as I do that everything happens for a reason. So, for the people that believe that, then whey do they pray for a different outcome when problems arise, for yourself or others.
My point is, prayer doesn't actually work. What's going to happen is going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 01:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Prayer works for those who DON'T believe as you do.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Prayer works for those who DON'T believe as you do.
If prayer really worked then no one would die, no one would suffer and no one would have problems.

Belief is another way of saying that you don't know. Have faith.. another way of saying that I believe in something but I really don't know anything about it.

If someone you are praying for doesn't get better, etc. does that mean that god doesn't hear your prayers, or simply what is meant to happen is going to happen and your prayers have no impact on anything.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Many people believe. as I do that everything happens for a reason. So, for the people that believe that, then whey do they pray for a different outcome when problems arise, for yourself or others.
My point is, prayer doesn't actually work. What's going to happen is going to happen.
If the only thing you think prayer is for is to "get stuff" from God...then no, it doesn't. It's not just to get stuff. It's not a magical thing that we simply recite the right words in order to twist God's arm.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Everything happens for a specific reason. The reason does not necessarily have anything to do with intelligent intentions however. Lightning, as an example, is simply a flow of electrons that occurs when there is an imbalance of electrons in the atmosphere. This electron flow follows a path of least resistance that can change from millisecond to millisecond. No intelligent intension is involved. If a living creature happens to be in the way, that is simply misfortune. Bad luck. It's not "karma" or the will of the gods.

Prayer is an example of talking to invisible friends. Invisible friends are imaginary. Imaginary friends are incapable of responding.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If the only thing you think prayer is for is to "get stuff" from God...then no, it doesn't. It's not just to get stuff. It's not a magical thing that we simply recite the right words in order to twist God's arm.
Then why do you do it? Isn't it because it makes you feel good and for no other reason?

Old 05-25-2018, 04:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Everything happens for a specific reason. The reason does not necessarily have anything to do with intelligent intentions however. Lightning, as an example, is simply a flow of electrons that occurs when there is an imbalance of electrons in the atmosphere. This electron flow follows a path of least resistance that can change from millisecond to millisecond. No intelligent intension is involved. If a living creature happens to be in the way, that is simply misfortune. Bad luck. It's not "karma" or the will of the gods.

Prayer is an example of talking to invisible friends. Invisible friends are imaginary. Imaginary friends are incapable of responding.
That's correct, or so i believe. But our OP had in mind, I'm sure, the idea of predestination, or something like it.

God has planned it all out before he even divided the waters, and thus prayer to ask God to do something is pointless (BF is being ingenuous at best if he suggests that is not what is done) because he already knows whether he is going to do it or not.

And there is the Answer to the paradox. But let's see whether any Theist Thinktankerist can work it out. A Rep point to anyone who does.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
I don't necessarily believe that everything happens for a reason, but I absolutely believe what Paul said in Romans 8:28, which is that all things work out to the good for those who have the invisible righteous king as their lord. That doesn't just include certain religious people either.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Everything happens for a specific reason. The reason does not necessarily have anything to do with intelligent intentions however..
Yes, the way you were created is a perfect example of that.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's correct, or so i believe. But our OP had in mind, I'm sure, the idea of predestination, or something like it.

God has planned it all out before he even divided the waters, and thus prayer to ask God to do something is pointless (BF is being ingenuous at best if he suggests that is not what is done) because he already knows whether he is going to do it or not.

And there is the Answer to the paradox. But let's see whether any Theist Thinktankerist can work it out. A Rep point to anyone who does.

If God has had everything planned out from the beginning, then God planned for the serpent to corrupt Adam and Eve. The fall of humankind was planned from before their creation, as was the need for Jesus to suffer and die as an act of redemption. In other words, God is a manipulative psychotic sob. I prefer to take a more sympathetic view of God as a non existent figment of the imagination of childlike minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality