Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
No, I don't think of myself that highly. I understand that Mormons do, though.
Well, it's certainly nice to hear that you don't consider yourself to be a reliable source of what is and is not Christian doctrine. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:48 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You've got to dig a LOT deeper since they started using that ground penetrating radar.
I actually know what that is! In my last job I had to find subcontractors that provided that service for construction sites.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, it's certainly nice to hear that you don't consider yourself to be a reliable source of what is and is not Christian doctrine. I'll keep that in mind.
That isn't what I said.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I never said that. I never even implied it. And furthermore, that's not what I believe. I have never once said anything on this forum to lead anyone to conclude that only Mormons are "real Christians." So don't put words in my mouth.

On the other hand, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, Jencam. If I have to quote one of the Apostles as saying what numerous early Christian fathers taught in order to convince you and BaptistFundie that what I believe (regarding Deification) is sound Christian doctrine, then you should have to quote one of the Apostles as saying what the early Christian creeds taught to prove to me that what you believe (regarding the Trinity) is sound Christian doctrine.
Yeah, no. I didn't start a thread asserting that did I? I didn't even assert it here.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
That isn't what I said.
It sure sounded like it to me. So, if you didn't say that, what exactly did you say?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no. I didn't start a thread asserting that did I? I didn't even assert it here.
No, but you asserted that it wasn't biblical. It's every bit as biblical as the doctrine of the Trinity. When I quoted several early Christian fathers and C.S. Lewis, you said, "I don't care what these individuals thought. This is not from the Bible." So why do you believe in the Trinity? It's "not from the Bible" either.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
OK they are Christians who follow a book and a living prophet that is in direct contradiction with the Bible which states Jesus was the one and only true prophet, so for me personally, that is problematic. Whatever works for them is obviously fine. It doesn't work for me.

Just like following Muhammad instead of Jesus is perfectly fine for Muslims, but it doesn't work for me.

I don't say either is wrong, just different. My personal belief is that no one can say any belief is RIGHT or WRONG. We don't know. Most of us believe what we were taught to growing up.
No. That's not what you said.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That is so far off the mark it's not even funny. I say the exact opposite. Most religions (all?) assert their way is the only way and that isn't logical to me.

If I believed that about Christianity I'd have to believe someone born in Saudi Arabia is going to hell essentially for being born in a place that teaches Islam. The God I believe in is not illogical.
No. That isn't what you said at all. You said: "The Bible clearly says that anyone who claims to be a prophet after Jesus is false. Trying to believe in the Bible and the BOM at the same time is an exercise in cognitive dissonance. Mormons consider themselves superior. IDK why they even want to be called Christians, except to 'fit in' and be accepted."

Old 09-13-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I can because I am now prohibited from arguing that, but I can still state what I did to answer your question w/o violating the prohibition. I am not reversing my position, I am complying with CD rules.

For your reference:
A smile doesn't do it.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. That isn't what you said at all. You said: "The Bible clearly says that anyone who claims to be a prophet after Jesus is false. Trying to believe in the Bible and the BOM at the same time is an exercise in cognitive dissonance. Mormons consider themselves superior. IDK why they even want to be called Christians, except to 'fit in' and be accepted."
And I stand by that, however after posting that a mod said that we may not debate whether Mormons are Christians, so are you trying to bait me into breaking rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality