Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 12:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you have a source for any of those quotes other than an LDS site?
What? Are you suggesting that I'm making this up? Do your homework. Oh, never mind; I'll do it for you:

Source (This wasn't actually my source, but I'm assuming you'll find it to be accurate, objective, and well-documented.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-13-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 12:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Nothing there.
For once, I agree with you. The cupboard was bare.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What? Are you suggesting that I'm making this up? Do your homework. Oh, never mind; I'll do it for you:

Source
No. I'm quite confident you're sincere in your belief.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
No. I'm quite confident you're sincere in your belief.
It has nothing to do with either my "sincerity" or "my belief." I posted a non-LDS source for you to fact-check what I said.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
jencam, this is for you:

Deification (i.e. "Eternal Progression" in LDS parlance) was clearly taught in the early days of Christianity -- not by random heretical sects, but by noted Church fathers:

Irenaeus: “If the Word became a man, it was so men may become gods. Do we cast blame on Him (God) because we were not made gods from the beginning, but were at first created merely as men, and then later as gods?”
Clement: “The Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god.”
Saint Justin: "[Men are] deemed worthy of becoming gods and of having power to become sons of the highest.”
Athanasius: “The Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods. He became man that we might be made divine.”
Augustine: “But He that justifies also deifies, for by justifying he makes sons of God. For he has given them power to become the sons of God. If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.”

In much more recent years, the noted Christian scholar, C.S. Lewis, said, “The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were 'gods' and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

I think all of these individuals believed in the same God you do, since you claim to believe in the God of the Bible, as did they.

You're welcome.
I don't care what these individuals thought. This is not from the Bible.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't care what these individuals thought. This is not from the Bible.
And that's exactly what I have come to expect from you. "It's not in the Bible! It can't be true!"

Old 09-13-2018, 01:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with either my "sincerity" or "my belief." I posted a non-LDS source for you to fact-check what I said.
Thank you. What I meant was that you were sincere, and I assumed you simply copied and pasted from your church's site, without vetting the source. I meant no disrespect.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
And that's exactly what I have come to expect from you. "It's not in the Bible! It can't be true!"
Duh. Christian belief is based on,,,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the BIBLE!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Nothing there.
Let's try it again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinization_(Christian)

Sorry, I think I misplaced a bracket. This should now work.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Let's try it again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinization_(Christian)

Sorry, I think I misplaced a bracket. This should now work.
Quote:
In Christian theology, divinization (deification, making divine, theopoesis or theosis) is the transforming effect of divine grace,[1] the spirit of God, or the atonement of Christ. Although it literally means to become divine, or to become a god, most Christian denominations do not interpret the doctrine as implying an overcoming of a fundamental metaphysical difference between God and humanity, for example John of the Cross had it: "it is true that its natural being, though thus transformed, is as distinct from the Being of God as it was before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality