Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I bet you have never met anyone from Bielefeld, neither?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy
I haven't, but that is hilarious.

Unfortunately, I have met (if "meeting" on the Internet counts), people who believe that the World Trade Center was hollow, the planes were holograms, and the people who say they were there were all actors.

Since I am one of the people who were there, I know that all of the above are untrue, but if I say that, I am considered a shill paid by the government to post disinformation on the Internet.

I'm still waiting for my check.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I’m 53...
LOL. A yute!

Old 09-13-2018, 05:08 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL. A yute!
Yute?...Did you just say Yute?...What’s a Yute?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:15 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yute?...Did you just say Yute?...What’s a Yute?...
A Youth. It's from the movie "My Cousin Vinnie."

Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A Youth. It's from the movie "My Cousin Vinnie."
I know...So was my response...Awsome movie...

Old 09-13-2018, 06:11 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
I haven't, but that is hilarious.

Unfortunately, I have met (if "meeting" on the Internet counts), people who believe that the World Trade Center was hollow, the planes were holograms, and the people who say they were there were all actors.

When I first started participating in chat sites like this i quickly ran into and debated people who are totally convinced that either

A) the Bush government , in conspiracy with OBL, planted bombs on the structural steel of numerous floors of the WTC and brought the towers down under the guise of the plane crashes ( and all the other WTC building that were damaged and fell) , or

B) the Russians used a death ray to weaken the towers and bring them down under the guise of planes hitting them.

I quickly learned that many on the internet live in a world devoid of rational thought, and it isnt limited just to Christians who believe in creationism.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:30 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:

Wait till you're the only American at a party of all Pakistanis and every male there tells you about the various conspiracy theories Muslims have about 9/11. And then to top it off you learn that that odd tasting beef you were eating was a goat.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1965 View Post
yute?...did you just say yute?...what’s a yute?...
Hahaha.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wait till you're the only American at a party of all Pakistanis and every male there tells you about the various conspiracy theories Muslims have about 9/11. And then to top it off you learn that that odd tasting beef you were eating was a goat.
I had to read this twice because I thought you were referring to something I actually might have said, phetaroi.

I do business development work for a company owned by Pakistani engineers, a woman, her husband, and now their son.

In May, I was one of six non-Pakistanis out of about a hundred at a scholarship awards dinner given by the alumni association of the engineering school in Karachi at which my employers both earned their bachelors degrees.

While no 9/11 conspiracy theories were discussed and never have been with the people I work for, I think most people who have preconceived ideas about Muslims and Pakistani people would have been shocked to hear a prominent female Paki engineer in a hijab (my own employer does not cover her hair, just FYI), get up an speak passionately about the need to encourage daughters to study math, physics, and science because women are still so underrepresented in the engineering disciplines. Because, you know, females are all forced to wear burkas and are not allowed to have careers.

There was also a speech by another member of the alumni association announcing that next year, they will be opening the scholarships to engineering students in general, not just the Pakistani community, because they feel they are part of the larger community in the NY/NJ metro area and their scholarship program should reflect that.

And yes, there was goat meat in one of the dishes at the buffet, and I ate some of it.

One of the non-Pakis who attended with me is another employee of the firm who also was my former coworker at the WTC and the person with whom I ran hand-in-hand down the stairs of One WTC on 9/11/01. We had a private moment of giggling on the buffet line after all these nice people explained to us what each dish was and which were their favorites, that here we were surrounded by all these nice people that some want us to think we are supposed to hate because of what happened to us That Day.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
When I first started participating in chat sites like this i quickly ran into and debated people who are totally convinced that either

A) the Bush government , in conspiracy with OBL, planted bombs on the structural steel of numerous floors of the WTC and brought the towers down under the guise of the plane crashes ( and all the other WTC building that were damaged and fell) , or

B) the Russians used a death ray to weaken the towers and bring them down under the guise of planes hitting them.

I quickly learned that many on the internet live in a world devoid of rational thought, and it isnt limited just to Christians who believe in creationism.
Oh yeah, I know them, too, and have met them in real life and seen them in action at the WTC on the anniversaries, particularly in the earlier years. As a matter of fact, after joining CD while searching for a condo back in 2009 (it IS a relocation/real estate site, ya know), that was one of the reasons I stayed. I saw there were a lot of conspiracy discussions, and I naively believed at one point that if I just provided some factual information based on what I personally knew and what I knew from engineers who worked at the WTC and participated in the examination of the debris and the collapse analysis, some of them might put down their beliefs in controlled demolition and insurance scams and fake airplanes and whatnot.

But noooo. What you said is true.

Never heard the Russian story, though. New one on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality