Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:32 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Yep...He works as a Quality Insoector at work...Believes we are all being deceived by the devil into thinking the earth is round...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yep...He works as a Quality Insoector at work...Believes we are all being deceived by the devil into thinking the earth is round...
Did he try to prevent you from colonizing outer space?

Yes, there are quite a few earth theories floating about but I do not think people should be ridiculed into accepting someone else theories...it's okay for people to examine the evidence and draw their own conclusions and no flat/hollow earth theorist are attempting to interfere/block others from colonizing outer space.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post

Yes, there are quite a few earth theories floating about but I do not think people should be ridiculed into accepting someone else theories...it's okay for people to examine the evidence and draw their own conclusions and no flat/hollow earth theorist are attempting to interfere/block others from colonizing outer space.
I know a few FE'ers. There is even a Meetup group nearby where I live. The problem is that they want to remove global earth teaching from school. They are also hyper-religious, wanting creationism taught in Science class. Fortunately, they are a small group, but one that could influence gullible teenagers on the internet. Don't take them too lightly because they are highly motivated by their God.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I know a few FE'ers. There is even a Meetup group nearby where I live. The problem is that they want to remove global earth teaching from school. They are also hyper-religious, wanting creationism taught in Science class. Fortunately, they are a small group, but one that could influence gullible teenagers on the internet. Don't take them too lightly because they are highly motivated by their God.
Are they wanting to remove it, or is it they are wanting to counter it? Either way, it makes for great fundamental research for the students.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:01 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I have never actually met a person who believes in a flat earth. Only heard of them on the Internet.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:37 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Are they wanting to remove it, or is it they are wanting to counter it? Either way, it makes for great fundamental research for the students.
The ultimate would be to remove global Earth teaching, but I'm sure they would be satisfied with having the flat Earth as taught alternatively.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:

Don't you think it is acceptable to ridicule wildly crazy ideas that run counter to all physical evidence? If I propose the thought that babies are conceived by eating gluten free bread, but intercourse is an effective contraceptive, isn't that idea worthy of ridicule?

Flat eartherism isn't any different. It is an absolutely crazy idea, and the only viable alternative happens to be reality.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never actually met a person who believes in a flat earth. Only heard of them on the Internet.
I bet you have never met anyone from Bielefeld, neither?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy

Old 09-13-2018, 06:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Why would you want to counter factual truth?

You are also setting up a false dichotomy, trying to credit FE as beneficial as a research opportunity. First, K12 students don't do a lot of research, and secondly, the research they actually do doesn't have to be debating the merits of crazy vs. truth. They can actually research two viable alternatives and examine the merits of both.

Presenting FE as an alternative in schools is quite simply a complete waste of time and is detrimental to our students.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Why would you want to counter factual truth?

You are also setting up a false dichotomy, trying to credit FE as beneficial as a research opportunity. First, K12 students don't do a lot of research, and secondly, the research they actually do doesn't have to be debating the merits of crazy vs. truth. They can actually research two viable alternatives and examine the merits of both.

Presenting FE as an alternative in schools is quite simply a complete waste of time and is detrimental to our students.
Or to the contrary, it helps to establish a sound fundamental scientific base that is easily testable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality