Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:38 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times

Advertisements

I was convinced for a while that flat earthers were just internet trolls. Nobody could really be that stupid, I told myself.

But it seems they actually do move among us.
And don't try to tell me that's insulting to their religion or whatever because I draw the line at willful stupidity. It IS blatantly stupid. I've run out of patience for this nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 02:47 PM

88,609 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I was convinced for a while that flat earthers were just internet trolls. Nobody could really be that stupid, I told myself.

And don't try to tell me that's insulting to their religion or whatever because I draw the line at willful stupidity. It IS blatantly stupid. I've run out of patience for this nonsense.
Haha, that's MY line. Stupidity is often a choice.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
There is no such thing as the devil the bible describes and blames for everything.

Funny how the god described in the bible is one of the most evil vile freak shows ever invented...but yet is never blamed for anything and is worshiped by it's followers.
I’m saying if there was a devil, what would he gain by convincing people that the earth is flat?...

Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It probably comes down to being lied to in general about the true nature of the world, and how many people fall for the lie.
But what’s the benefit?...

Old 09-18-2018, 03:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:

Great post. Hopefully post like this will help to discourage those types from questioning what everyone else already knows are facts.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Great post. Hopefully post like this will help to discourage those types from questioning what everyone else already knows are facts.

There's too much treading on eggshells where religion is concerned, and this is where it has led us: Americans that actually believe the earth is flat.
This is the same country that competed in the space race not so long ago.

I'm not convinced many people even believed this kind of nonsense back in Galileo's time, and that's 400 years ago. This country is actually regressing. And people say 'oh people can believe what they want to believe, what harm is there in it?' Well, there is no harm in it as long as you don't mind your country being viewed internationally as the country that fosters sheer stupidity. Fantastic.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:29 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Quote:

You think there is a logical basis for believing in a flat Earth?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
There's too much treading on eggshells where religion is concerned, and this is where it has led us: Americans that actually believe the earth is flat.
This is the same country that competed in the space race not so long ago.

I'm not convinced many people even believed this kind of nonsense back in Galileo's time, and that's 400 years ago. This country is actually regressing. And people say 'oh people can believe what they want to believe, what harm is there in it?' Well, there is no harm in it as long as you don't mind your country being viewed internationally as the country that fosters sheer stupidity. Fantastic.
I don't think religion is what spurs on most flat earth theories. It seems most flat earth theorists, such as B.O.B., are basing their queries around: the horizon, lost NASA files, CGI earth images, etc.
On the other hand, it seems most religious people couldn't care less either way, because either way God did it.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But what’s the benefit?...
'falling for the lie' IS the benefit/ gain...in other words, they allow themselves to be duped about the true nature of something/ believe something that is not true.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
I don't think religion is what spurs on most flat earth theories. It seems most flat earth theorists, such as B.O.B., are basing their queries around: the horizon, lost NASA files, CGI earth images, etc.
On the other hand, it seems most religious people couldn't care less either way, because either way God did it.
At least you said “queries”rather than theories. Thanks for that.

The list of queries you supplied as motive show the bankruptcy of the flat earth movement.

Horizon? Easily explained by physics.

Lost NASA files? Nor sure exactly what you mean by lost, but flat earthers seem to always want something else incredibly specific. If only NASA had filmed X in some weirdly specific way, that would prove a global earth. But they didn’t, so the earth is flat. How weird is that?

CGI earth images? Sure, they exist. As do old school analog photos. So what?

I follow a podcast called “Oh No Ross and Carrie”, and they did a recent series of interviews with Flat Earth youtube celebrities, as well as a couple of experiments. Entertaining in a headshaking way, but I found it fascinating that anybody could work that hard to deny physical reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality