Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yeah, I know them, too, and have met them in real life and seen them in action at the WTC on the anniversaries, particularly in the earlier years. As a matter of fact, after joining CD while searching for a condo back in 2009 (it IS a relocation/real estate site, ya know), that was one of the reasons I stayed. I saw there were a lot of conspiracy discussions, and I naively believed at one point that if I just provided some factual information based on what I personally knew and what I knew from engineers who worked at the WTC and participated in the examination of the debris and the collapse analysis, some of them might put down their beliefs in controlled demolition and insurance scams and fake airplanes and whatnot.

But noooo. What you said is true.

Never heard the Russian story, though. New one on me.
Me too. Though I had heard the one about the aircraft being holograms to disguise that they were really US missiles...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 06:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
I have never actually met a person who believes in a flat earth. Only heard of them on the Internet.
There are alot of them out there! I know a handful of people that believe in this.

I will admit, I believe in many conspiracy theories, but the difference with the flat earth theory that I have never understood and why I believe its nonsense is...NO ONE would benefit in anyway whether people believed the earth was flat, round, square, etc!

With other conspiracy theories, there is usually some benefit or gain in convincing people the CT is true...but with flat earth..NONE.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are alot of them out there! I know a handful of people that believe in this.

I will admit, I believe in many conspiracy theories, but the difference with the flat earth theory that I have never understood and why I believe its nonsense is...NO ONE would benefit in anyway whether people believed the earth was flat, round, square, etc!

With other conspiracy theories, there is usually some benefit or gain in convincing people the CT is true...but with flat earth..NONE.
Geocentricism vs. heliocentricism...heliocentricism is thought to disprove some (religious) belief systems, especially the 'glass domers'.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:13 AM

88,612 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Me too. Though I had heard the one about the aircraft being holograms to disguise that they were really US missiles...
Yes, of course. But people I know who sat on the north side of my floor as well as other floors saw the planes coming toward them, so these holograms apparently were designed with their perspectives in mind as well, and then there's the little problem of the fact that thousands of people, including ME, saw what was easily identifiable as burning pieces of airplane strewn all over the Plaza in the center of the complex when they exited the buildings, as well as pieces of what was on the airplane. Two got hit just before I got out. When you see a burning, crashed airplane, you know what you are looking at, trust me.

Then again, when you see a round planet from the air, you should know what you are looking at then, too.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Geocentricism vs. heliocentricism...heliocentricism is thought to disprove some (religious) belief systems, especially the 'glass domers'.
I never heard of them. Oh dear. Wasn't that a Stephen King book?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I never heard of them. Oh dear. Wasn't that a Stephen King book?
What Is The Difference Between the Geocentric and Heliocentric Models of the Solar System?

https://www.universetoday.com/36487/...-heliocentric/

Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
What Is The Difference Between the Geocentric and Heliocentric Models of the Solar System?

https://www.universetoday.com/36487/...-heliocentric/
Nice.

Just to be clear, what I "had never heard of" were the "glass domers".

Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Nice.

Just to be clear, what I "had never heard of" were the "glass domers".
...I should have simply referenced the 'firmament'.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Yes, of course. But people I know who sat on the north side of my floor as well as other floors saw the planes coming toward them, so these holograms apparently were designed with their perspectives in mind as well, and then there's the little problem of the fact that thousands of people, including ME, saw what was easily identifiable as burning pieces of airplane strewn all over the Plaza in the center of the complex when they exited the buildings, as well as pieces of what was on the airplane. Two got hit just before I got out. When you see a burning, crashed airplane, you know what you are looking at, trust me.

Then again, when you see a round planet from the air, you should know what you are looking at then, too.
I haven't been as close to the WTC as you were, but I have been close enough to the conspiracy theorist and our resident Flat Earthist here. The answer is Faith. Faith not in God this time, but Faith in their own rightness. Not listening and treating me (and others) like an idiot because we question their Faith.

Trust me, that is exactly what it's all about. Why they do it (The "Why") is a something I'm still wondering about, but I believe it's about their own feelings of self -worth. If they are the Only Ones Seeing The Truth, then they can feel validated and valuable. Try to take that away, and you have a fight (and a sprinkiing of capital letters) on your hands. Which is why we Goddless Bastards (about time I used that again) have as much hostility from "Agnostics" as we do from Bible -believers.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I haven't been as close to the WTC as you were, but I have been close enough to the conspiracy theorist and our resident Flat Earthist here. The answer is Faith. Faith not in God this time, but Faith in their own rightness. Not listening and treating me (and others) like an idiot because we question their Faith.

Trust me, that is exactly what it's all about. Why they do it (The "Why") is a something I'm still wondering about, but I believe it's about their own feelings of self -worth. If they are the Only Ones Seeing The Truth, then they can feel validated and valuable. Try to take that away, and you have a fight (and a sprinkiing of capital letters) on your hands. Which is why we Goddless Bastards (about time I used that again) have as much hostility from "Agnostics" as we do from Bible -believers.
I like the term Goddless Bastards, personally.

I feel no hostility whatsoever toward you and the other GBs, but then again, I like to collect all sorts of different people.

It is true that arguing with die-hard conspiracy theorists is very similar to arguing with diehard fundamentalist religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality