Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I love that metaphor and although you haven't gone atheist, although you still have a sortatheist faith...you have dropped all the animosity towards atheists and atheism. Which is all that we'd ask. I have a got a feeling that Ozzy will end up there.

I could be wrong
Animosity? Really? I have nothing against the evangelical atheists as people, nor against religious fundamentalists. I just don't buy the arguments of either side, and neither side's arguments make any sense to me. So apparently I'm not allowed to disagree with either side.

To be honest I don't even care, because I don't even consider these things in how I treat people in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not true. I am not an atheist, and atheism makes sense to me.
When I say it doesn't make sense, I mean that I don't understand their reasoning and logic. Especially when they say that they KNOW everything evolved from (basically) nothing.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
When I say it doesn't make sense, I mean that I don't understand their reasoning and logic. Especially when they say that they KNOW everything evolved from (basically) nothing.
You won't understand our reasoning and logic all the time you don't listen to it, but insist on misrepresenting it. We don't KNOW that everything came from Nothing, any more than we KNOW there is no god. We do know a lot about the world and the universe and the way it works (and 'evolved', to use the term very broadly(1), and none of it needs a god. We do have good reasons not to credit any Holy Books very much, and we have some good reasons not to credit
the I/D-I/C claims (If you didn't know it Intelligent design was flushed down the toilet legally as well as scientifically along with Behe's credibility at the Dover trial), and I'm sure I have explained that Life origins and cosmic origins have at least hypotheses or getting close, and some indirect evidence.

These where we are is that we have very good reasons to reject outright the god -claims of the Bible (just as you reject the religious claims of the other books) and, as regards the possible creator that you apparently suggest is the god that all these religion are about, presumably using the parable of the blind men and the elephant, is is possible, but there is no good reason to consider it credible, let alone believable.

And even it is was believable. What difference would it make? Black holes and pulsars are believable, but what difference does it make to the way we live our lives?

None. Which is why you have to argue the Bible and religion as having some good stuff in. You are doing what I am already thinking of as the Stavrakopulou syndrome - not really crediting the Bible as true, but being very attached to it - you because of residual attachment to Christianity and she because it is her life's work and study. Which is fine by us. That is why you attack atheism - especially New Atheism, because you see it as a threat.

(1) when Creationists talk about evolution, that broad usage is what they mean - not 'The diversification of species' (biological evolution, but 'Atheist perfessers say that evrythin' com ferm nuthin', which is sometimes called "Evilooshun" - often deliberately, and pronounced that way. I use that version to distinguish it from Biological evolution.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
If how we got here made sense
If how we suddenly cease to exist made sense.
Then we wouldn't need a book to un-ravel the mysteries
T0 those intent on actually un-raveling the future
He reveals the mysteries of himself to them

The rest, all they live in is darkness
Wish it wasn't so.

I wish cancer didn't kill people, wildfires, earthquakes but it is so.
though it makes no sense either
Bad worldly philosophical basis for a discussion imho
Despite your poor review of my thread, I'm glad you stopped by to offer your, um, thoughts.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Knowing (or understanding) that things evolve has absolutely nothing to do with whether a person believes in any God or gods. Atheists don't believe in any God or gods. Beyond that anything they believe or don't believe is individualistic, and has nothing to do with atheism.

Replying to you feels like talking to a wall.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 PM

I don't just accept the Bible and reject other religious books. I revere the Bible because it is the religious text of my people. I have the same respect for other major religious texts, but I don't have as much interest in reading them (not that I ever won't) because I just don't have that same association with them. But I respect all the major religions and don't necessarily think that any one of them is better than the others. If an atheist doesn't understand that then I feel like nothing I can say will ever get through to them. And to me THAT feels like a brick wall.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I don't just accept the Bible and reject other religious books. I revere the Bible because it is the religious text of my people. I have the same respect for other major religious texts, but I don't have as much interest in reading them (not that I ever won't) because I just don't have that same association with them. But I respect all the major religions and don't necessarily think that any one of them is better than the others. If an atheist doesn't understand that then I feel like nothing I can say will ever get through to them. And to me THAT feels like a brick wall.
So, in other words, because you believe, you can't understand why others do not.

That inability lies with you. Own it. Be a man.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So, in other words, because you believe, you can't understand why others do not.

That inability lies with you. Own it. Be a man.
Correct. But I would hope you can see that it goes both ways.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Correct. But I would hope you can see that it goes both ways.
It doesn't.

I think a lot of unbelievers, or other-believers, understand why some people have a need to attach themselves to a particular belief system.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM

62 posts, read 33,484 times
Quote:
You respect all these religious books, yet believe only one regarding the existence of the god it describes.

Logic puzzles really aren't you thing are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality