Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
^^^^^ did you read that jj?
I did and responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Because logic requires that anything that exists being claimed to need a creator means that a god that exists requires a creator. If there is something that exists that does not requite a creator, then the claim that everything requires a creator fails. If you say that this is not logic, you are wrong. If you say that logic is a mere human invention, do so, but don't ever claim to argue logically. If you claim that a postulated creator is excempt from the logical premise, we ask your question -"Why?"
I’ve already answered that. Infinite causation is illogical. In addition, the creator of anything, especially as profound as life and the universe, certainly could exist on a higher plane that we. It is not a great leap to think this creator could have always existed or exists outside of time as we know it.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It was directly related to this post that you made:
What does morality have to do with the origin of life?

Old 11-16-2018, 03:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
faith would not be required.
The origin of religion was to get people to behave. As an example, a new wife had to be a virgin to assure the husband, he'd for sure have progeny of his own. In other words, she wasn't impregnated by someone else. Now some people think being a virgin is a big deal but incorrectly think it's about saving ones self for him or her, not the REAL reason as stated above. Another example is not eating pork because they couldn't get the fires hot enough. So, some people don't eat pork based on an antiquated time period. When religion was separated from the law of the land, it morphed into basically mental masterbation and having faith is just the conduit. Some people waste alot of money in that realm, not unlike buying indulgences to build a cathedral. Having faith causes people to not think and for them, that's beneficial. Conversely, if they do good works under the spell of their imaginary friends or myths, we all can appreciate this, as a society.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You tell me. You're the one that keeps talking about the origin of life like it was something we all need to dwell on every day.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:12 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
I believe that's exactly the point Mensa was making.

He said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Life began. Knowing how it began has absolutely nothing to do with living a good, moral life. Why do you keep harping on how life began when nobody has any clear, concrete answers? Does it make your life different?
You replied:
Quote:
Seriously? It makes no difference in the way we perceive thngs, if there is/is not a creator?
You're the one that seems to be insisting that there is a link between morality and belief in a creator.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Answers in blue
You are missing the point, but I will give you the benefit of doubt - it is not evasiveness but not being very perceptive.

A Creator of everything is 'God' whether you apply to term to Jesusgod , Biblegod (incorporating YHWH and Allah), God of the Hindus (Aka Brahma) or indeed any god given the credit for creating everything.

As to the Bible ..well you must think I have a memory as bad as Mystic as i know damn' well the creator - god you are rabbitting on about is the God of the Bible. But if not, then you have nothing to support your case. Not a sossidge. You have only to support a Possibility' (as compared to the support I have set out) the tatty claim that that the Bible tells us all bout God dunnitting. If you want to concede that this is no more use is understanding cosmic oranges than reading the Book of coming Forth by day can tell us about the next Life, I'll concede your point, and expect you to hold to it.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Amazing isn't it? A bacteria can't exist without a creator. But an Omni-Everything-Creator-God-Thing can just poof itself into existence.
Okay. A creator made a bacteria. Now. Was it a good bacteria or a bad bacteria? To be or not to be.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
I find it very dishonest - if not surprising - that jimmie tries to pretend that the god-creator-thing he prattles about here is not the one written of in the biblical pamphlets. He is a Christian fundie.

Are you ashamed of your god, jimmie?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
I’ve already answered that. Infinite causation is illogical. In addition, the creator of anything, especially as profound as life and the universe, certainly could exist on a higher plane that we. It is not a great leap to think this creator could have always existed or exists outside of time as we know it.
That's why your Creator -claim is illogical. Where such a creator exists is neither here nor there. You waffle about 'higher plane' is just an excuse to claim that it is magically exempt from the logical rule that you have quoted.

You had to do a lot of fiddling to try to make that work, and even then, it is only an hypothesis, and one driven by the need to prop up godfaith rather than ane desire to posit logical propositions.

But some the possibility of such a thing os conceded. It is no more than a rather debatable possibility. Since natural origins is postulated, as at least equally possible, that leaves your beliefs nowhere other than something you claim as true when nobody knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality