Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The book is just a book written by primates........................
I wonder how primates over 1,500 years could get together to have the matching corresponding cross-reference verses and passages that are in harmony with one another. Because of that internal harmony is why Jesus could base his teachings by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I wonder how primates over 1,500 years could get together to have the matching corresponding cross-reference verses and passages that are in harmony with one another. Because of that internal harmony is why Jesus could base his teachings by his logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures for us.
I'm sorry, as I was honestly not trying to insult the Bible. I revere the Bible myself and read it on a daily basis. I was just trying to point out the atheist flaw by using their own logic.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:40 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
You don't even seem to understand that faith is what created the book. The ancient book has no bearing on the existence of a creator.

The book is just a book written by primates. But to you it seems to encapsulate all truth about the creator.
I already posted to BF on this one.. or was it Jimmie? There are two arguments. One is not (strictly speaking) related to the religion -debate and I fail to see why you have to row with atheists, refuse to join any club that would take us as members and constantly wag Christianity and its' book at us if Sortagod is the argument you were making.

If, however you are simply using a postulated Creator as a bottom -line validation of Christianity and the Bible, then your antipathy towards atheism and constant wagging about of the Bible and Christianity (though with the second -string argument of how much good there is in it) is understandable.

Ozzy mate, I would lay a large bet that you believe in the Bible, Jesus and this creator that you keep banging on about as the God of, not only the Bible, but of Christianity. And the only reason that you field only the First cause argument at one end and the 'it is so valuable to us' argument at the other is because it excuses you from defending the Religion and its' holy book.

I would, as i say, lay a heavy bet on that except that you'd probably deny just to score a point, even if it was true.,

Come on now, Ozzy mate, wouldn't you and isn't it?

Quote:
I'm sorry, as I was honestly not trying to insult the Bible. I revere the Bible myself and read it on a daily basis. I was just trying to point out the atheist flaw by using their own logic.
I just laughed my ass off at that exchange. You Both deserve reps. Ozzy, chum, don't you just love being one of the fellowship with such kindly, forgiving and easy -going fellow believers than with those hateful, fault funding finger -wagging atheists?

Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Why would anyone expect agreeing because Not all professing Christians are Christian.
Jesus forewarned us at Matthew 7:21-23 that MANY would call him Lord but are proving false.
So, the bottom line is that genuine ' wheat ' Christians keep Jesus' NEW commandment of John 13:34-35.
They have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
Also,they keep Jesus' instructions as found at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 to spread the good news of God's Kingdom of Daniel 2:44 on an international scale as it is now being done world wide.
So you're criticizing me for making a judgement, while at the same time you are judging others as to whether or not they are real christians.

Vincent is forewarning you that MANY are hypocritical.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I find there is 'general truth' or 'truth in general ' (secular truth) and there is also the 'religious truth' of John 17:17 which Jesus taught that Scripture is religious truth. So, to me it is Not how many people (quantity) believe, but Jesus is looking for ' quality ' - Matthew 7:21-23
"There was ease in Casey’s manner as he stepped into his place;
There was pride in Casey’s bearing and a smile lit Casey’s face.
And when, responding to the cheers, he lightly doffed his hat,
No stranger in the crowd could doubt ‘twas Casey at the bat."

Now I know that quote from fictional poetry has nothing to do with the thread, but to those of us who are atheists your quote from fiction is just as meaningless.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to pick up some different books. Learn some other perspectives.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How about a religion that makes sense? Let's call it Nicetism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No organization or hierarchy. It would simply require more people to get in tune with their inner Canadian.
Trout (and Transponder if you view this) your input por favor...

If a "Nicetist" lives on the shores of the Bay Of Fundy in either the Canadian Province of New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, and they were to have extraordinary mental powers (mind reading capabilities, etc). Would this not make them the following...

A "Nicetist Fundy-Mentalist"

Being nice is certainly not controversial or in need of defense as a general rule, so there would be no reason for Apologetics in this instance....

Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I already posted to BF on this one.. or was it Jimmie? There are two arguments. One is not (strictly speaking) related to the religion -debate and I fail to see why you have to row with atheists, refuse to join any club that would take us as members and constantly wag Christianity and its' book at us if Sortagod is the argument you were making.

If, however you are simply using a postulated Creator as a bottom -line validation of Christianity and the Bible, then your antipathy towards atheism and constant wagging about of the Bible and Christianity (though with the second -string argument of how much good there is in it) is understandable.

Ozzy mate, I would lay a large bet that you believe in the Bible, Jesus and this creator that you keep banging on about as the God of, not only the Bible, but of Christianity. And the only reason that you field only the First cause argument at one end and the 'it is so valuable to us' argument at the other is because it excuses you from defending the Religion and its' holy book.

I would, as i say, lay a heavy bet on that except that you'd probably deny just to score a point, even if it was true.,

Come on now, Ozzy mate, wouldn't you and isn't it?

I just laughed my ass off at that exchange. You Both deserve reps. Ozzy, chum, don't you just love being one of the fellowship with such kindly, forgiving and easy -going fellow believers than with those hateful, fault funding finger -wagging atheists?
I would like to see more of these English style churches in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrZBtKWSfs

Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

If a "Nicetist" lives on the shores of the Bay Of Fundy in either the Canadian Province of New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, and they were to have extraordinary mental powers (mind reading capabilities, etc). Would this not make them the following...

Being nice is certainly not controversial or in need of defense as a general rule, so there would be no reason for Apologetics in this instance....
Yes. Yes it would. Only in Canada, eh.

Pity.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

I laughed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality