Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Of all the great things that god could do -- cure cancer, save innocents from rape and slavery, solve hunger in parts of Africa...he spends his time finding lost keys?

To me, that kind of thinking is just bizarre.

I don't wanna be involved with that kind of god.
Choice is wonderful, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 11:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I expected responses of a negative nature. Evidently, not everyone pays attention. When found, the keys were totally out in the open on the sofa that had been completely stripped down three times. I'll concede that it wasn't God that put them there. That being the case, how did they get there? It literally made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Some of the responses are kinda cute, tho.
That has happened to me before over a leather, shoulder carry-on.
It was totally blocked from my vision...thought someone had stolen it from my garage...but it was beat up, huh?
But, it had been there all along...right there...plain sight.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That has happened to me before over a leather, shoulder carry-on.
It was totally blocked from my vision...thought someone had stolen it from my garage...but it was beat up, huh?
But, it had been there all along...right there...plain sight.
I suffer from dyslexia, when I am looking for things I can't see them. I stop, I think of something else, like the color of the walls or something, the object appears.

the amount of power needed for some super thing to do that would require other disturbances in the "force" that we could measure.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Still not good enough. If the keys had been there all along and I just didn't see them why didn't they fall on the floor when I stripped the pillows, sheet and cushions. Three times. I'm not talking about a few keys on one ring. There are at least ten keys on about three different rings. Keep trying. I honestly would like to hear a viable solution.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Still not good enough. If the keys had been there all along and I just didn't see them why didn't they fall on the floor when I stripped the pillows, sheet and cushions. Three times. I'm not talking about a few keys on one ring. There are at least ten keys on about three different rings. Keep trying. I honestly would like to hear a viable solution.
Schrodinger's cat? It doesn't exist until it's observed?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,030,030 times
Quote:
I have posted this before so the dates have changed. I have added a photo of a similar sofa to show exactly where the keys were found. See the red star. There are two differences in our sofa. First, our sofa had two small pillows and there was a sheet that covered the cushion under the pillows.

Here is the story.... About 14-15 years ago my wife had misplaced her keys. We started searching in the obvious places. In her purse, in the car, in my car, in the pockets of the clothes that we wore the day before, etc. No luck. The search expanded to all the rooms in our 5 room house. We searched the kitchen drawers, cabinets, and under the stove and fridge. We searched the bathroom cabinets, the clothes hamper, under the claw foot bathtub. We started searching the two bedrooms. Under the beds, under the pillows, between the mattresses, closets, in our pockets hanging in the closets. We searched the living room everywhere. Under the sofa cushions, under the sofas, behind the curtains. One particular stuffed chair in the living room was kinda in bad shape so we had a tapestry on it and two small pillows in each corner of the chair. In our search, I had taken off the pillows, taken off the tapestry, searched down in the cracks where all the change and popcorn usually hangs out, and under the chair itself. I had done this not once, but three times! After about three days and three hours of searching. We decided it was time to go out on the porch and smoke a cigarette. Take a break and regroup, if you will. While out on the porch, my wife said a little prayer. "Lord, can you please help me find my keys. I really need those keys and I would really appreciate it if you could help, amen". After our smoke, we decided to resume our search. We walked back into the house and guess what? Those keys were laying on that chair, in the open, between the two pillows. Remember, I had taken that chair apart three times. If there is no God, will someone explain to me how those keys ended up on that chair?
Dear Slingshot: My brother that was worth waiting patiently. Thank you for taking the time to post it. There are those who can explain everything away, I am not among them. We are in the "Hands" of One who does exceedingly abundantly beyond all we can ask or think. One is only an atheist until their first major encounter with the Glorious One. From there a new horizon breaks never beheld before.There are even different hues of manifold.

Brother thank you for your service to this land of ours! We know a man who fought in the trenches of Korea. As shells exploded among them, and flew overhead, he told the Lord "if you get me out of here, I will give my life to you." Many years went by & Father said to him, "You forgot, but I remember." Yup, that day was the starting chapter in the life of a man we continue to cherish. God bless Walt W. & you!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Dear Slingshot: My brother that was worth waiting patiently. Thank you for taking the time to post it. There are those who can explain everything away, I am not among them. We are in the "Hands" of One who does exceedingly abundantly beyond all we can ask or think. One is only an atheist until their first major encounter with the Glorious One. From there a new horizon breaks never beheld before.There are even different hues of manifold.

Brother thank you for your service to this land of ours! We know a man who fought in the trenches of Korea. As shells exploded among them, and flew overhead, he told the Lord "if you get me out of here, I will give my life to you." Many years went by & Father said to him, "You forgot, but I remember." Yup, that day was the starting chapter in the life of a man we continue to cherish. God bless Walt W. & you!
Thank you and be sure, I have been blessed many times over.

To the other posters that gave it their best effort......I'm still waiting.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
I don't think God is in the key finding business. That doesn't make me an atheist. I do think that God is an ever-flowing (non-discrimanatory) source of goodness that we can receive or not, depending on our mindset. So, there's a lot to be said for getting into a frame of mind that doesn't shut us off from receiving, and prayer can be one (of many) catalyst for that. Atheists can be in that receptive frame of mind as much as anyone.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It's in the story....skylights...moon was bright...I'd rather swim under moonlight.
You can swim in the moonlight a lot easier than you can dive in it. You sort of need to be able the board.

And if it's too dark to see that there isn't water in the pool it's going to kind of hard to see the diving board.

I'm going to go with Urban Legend here.

Because this:

One important mystery remains unsolved, however. The Cincinnati Post reported that after receiving many e-mail inquiries about this story, the University of Cincinnati checked to see if they could verify the details. Although the university’s swimming pool is housed in Laurence Hall, “a room whose west wall is made entirely of glass panes,” a university spokesman said that only two Charles Murrays attended the school in the mid-1960s: one left before 1967, the other wasn’t enrolled in 1967, and neither of them was a diver.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Okay, another supposition: Mrs. slingshot was messing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality