Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2018, 06:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

can't rep ya

but + 1000 from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, so attack me because I said something to ozzy? then blame me for something you added into my post? then you run away from the question ...lmao.

talk about sausage.
You straw manned historians* doing the same thing I was doing for Katzpur (using the source material) in an attempt to focus on your pet topic. I added nothing to your post, and I did not run away from any question. I simply refused to allow you to derail a conversation simply because you have no interest in the subject.

Now do you have any information on the history of the Trinity you would like to share?

* Actually you straw manned everybody who talk about anything other than the origin of the universe.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:14 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm currently trying to understand that myself. Supposedly I am (to use myself as an example) be given the choice after death, but the people on earth doing the proxy Baptism for me can't communicate with me. As I am unsealed, I wonder who they will seal me to. Sealing into an eternal marriage is also required to be in what I think of as Heaven - dwelling with God and Jesus forever.
It would solve alot of problems, and Churches/Religions could generate additional revenue by charging the living a fee to get their ticket to the afterlife punched (don't know what arrangement they would make with the deceased). With your Passport stamped in all the proper places, you would be prepared for whoever was standing at the "Pearly Gates", be it Saint Peter, Buddha, Vishnu, etc...

Of course, this would not get one out of "hot water" regarding violating any deity derived or man made rules, traditions, laws, etc. of a given religion if one went against them by non-involvement or practice on a day to day basis concerning a given religion(s) while they were alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
If for example someone for thinks their underwear is magical in some way or has magical properties - that is great for them. It is unendingly side splitingly hilarious to me.
It only gets side splitting if you order the underwear too small...

And I wouldn't laugh too hard! If your'e wrong, the Angel Moroni just might reach down and give you a "wedgie" you would not soon forget!!

Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You straw manned historians* doing the same thing I was doing for Katzpur (using the source material) in an attempt to focus on your pet topic. I added nothing to your post, and I did not run away from any question. I simply refused to allow you to derail a conversation simply because you have no interest in the subject.

Now do you have any information on the history of the Trinity you would like to share?

* Actually you straw manned everybody who talk about anything other than the origin of the universe.
I see now. You got upset because the fact that I said it doesn't matter to me bothered you. I knew it couldn't have been what I said because it was just common sense. the fact that I don't need historians to tell me the bible is not from god and that some theology from 14000 years means nothing to me with the information we have today and one lick of our common sense.

I apologize, but you did change the intent of my post.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I see now. You got upset because the fact that I said it doesn't matter to me bothered you. I knew it couldn't have been what I said because it was just common sense. the fact that I don't need historians to tell me the bible is not from god and that some theology from 14000 years means nothing to me with the information we have today and one lick of our common sense.

I apologize, but you did change the intent of my post.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What do you want me to tell you? That I died, met God; and now came back to life, so I know it?
I would have rather you had visited all the possible dimensions with a time machine to boot!
But thoughts would have counted too.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What do you want me to tell you? That I died, met God; and now came back to life, so I know it?
errr, maybe have him come meet the rest us.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Noahidism is probably the closest thing to a true religion on Earth at this time but even that is mostly just BS.
All religions are mostly BS.

So what do we do?
Do we reject all religion and become atheist.
No. Atheism is mostly BS too.

There simply is no winning move here.
Ha ha...I agree!! But exactly what part of our Atheists Manual is BS?..?..?

(Oh, wait, we don't have one...)

Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Ha ha...I agree!! But exactly what part of our Atheists Manual is BS?..?..?

(Oh, wait, we don't have one...)
There are 3 possible positions:

1) Theist position: There exists a magical being called "God" that is the source of all morality and law.
2) Atheist position: There is no "God" therefore there is no morality or law and one is free to do anything one wants.
3) Rationalist: Morality and law are emergent properties that emerge whenever you have large numbers of people interacting with one another.

A moral person is a person with sufficient objectivity to understand that the universe does not revolve around their ego.
A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or any one group of people.
The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

Civilization is my country. Objectivity is my religion

Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
There are 3 possible positions:

1) Theist position: There exists a magical being called "God" that is the source of all morality and law.
2) Atheist position: There is no "God" therefore there is no morality or law and one is free to do anything one wants.
3) Rationalist: Morality and law are emergent properties that emerge whenever you have large numbers of people interacting with one another.

A moral person is a person with sufficient objectivity to understand that the universe does not revolve around their ego.
A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one person or any one group of people.
The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

Civilization is my country. Objectivity is my religion
This is incorrect, and you've been corrected on it several times. I guess you just want to promote your wiki links.

As to #2: People behave morally regardless of their religious belief. People who follow many different religious paths still behave morally. People who follow no religious path behave morally.

People who have religious beliefs behave immorally. People with a wide range of religious beliefs behave immorally. People with no religious belief behave immorally.

Living morally is not dependent on one's religious belief.

Now, stop posting the same thing over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality