Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, I looked it up...Wouldn’t mind trying it myself...
Sorry (also for off -topic) as i may have misled people. I'm talking about Hotel coffee that was brewed to four time normal strength.
Singaporean coffee..in a traditional sense is different, being the cheaper Robusta roasted with butter and sugar to improve the flavour and served with condensed milk in the Indian style. You'll not find that in the hotels..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand."
Saint Augustine

Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand."
Saint Augustine

Although imagination is always helpful to understanding. Seek always to understand what you believe, do not believe evolution or ancient ideas in order to understand them. For then you will only beleive you understand them, but WILL NOT understand what you believe.

Otherwise, believe in Syncretic Polytheism or Islam with deep faith, and you will believe them and believe that you understand them.

Therefore,

Seek not to believe what you don't understand, but understand what you believe.

Something superstitious, writings on the wall.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

worth repeating

Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Although imagination is always helpful to understanding. Seek always to understand what you believe, do not believe evolution or ancient ideas in order to understand them. For then you will only beleive you understand them, but WILL NOT understand what you believe.

Otherwise, believe in Syncretic Polytheism or Islam with deep faith, and you will believe them and believe that you understand them.

Therefore,

That is a wiser and truer remark than the Faith - based one of Augustine. And it's nothing to do with which of you is the smarter, but to do with what we have learned.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:26 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:

Therefore,

Yet, it seems like many atheists and agnostics are trying to understand religious belief. At least on this forum.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yet, it seems like many atheists and agnostics are trying to understand religious belief. At least on this forum.
Is there a problem with trying to understand other people? Or to try to understand cats or quatum physics? Obviously thete are some atheists posters who understand cosmology or abiogeneses better than me and it is possible to be able to learn both what you accept and at the same time that which you do not accept. The best way to have an open mind is to free yourself to learn more than just what you need to in order to support what you already accept.

For example, as I person with a geology minor, I feel I must also learn about creationists spin on geology as well if I wish to address global flood claims.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is there a problem with trying to understand other people? Or to try to understand cats or quatum physics? Obviously thete are some atheists posters who understand cosmology or abiogeneses better than me and it is possible to be able to learn both what you accept and at the same time that which you do not accept. The best way to have an open mind is to free yourself to learn more than just what you need to in order to support what you already accept.

For example, as I person with a geology minor, I feel I must also learn about creationists spin on geology as well if I wish to address global flood claims.
Hey badlander...no wonder I like your posts. 2 degrees here in geology!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hey badlander...no wonder I like your posts. 2 degrees here in geology!
Degree is in Physical Geography.

I had a Geology lab partner who took a religious studies course, only because the rest of the class were females. One Friday afternoon class he fell asleep and woke up in a dark classroom, the teacher noticed him asleep and silently dismissed her class and turned out the lights. After that he didn't even speak to any classmates, too embarrassed.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Degree is in Physical Geography.

I had a Geology lab partner who took a religious studies course, only because the rest of the class were females. One Friday afternoon class he fell asleep and woke up in a dark classroom, the teacher noticed him asleep and silently dismissed her class and turned out the lights. After that he didn't even speak to any classmates, too embarrassed.
My minor was geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality