Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

All religions started as true religion, in my opinion. But they've all devolved in cultural/political groups. It's impossible to keep politics out of organized religion. In fact, I think that religion is synonymous with politics, and I am serious when I say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
" So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?"
No.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
none.

they all have some truths, like everything else.

commitment to community and relationships seems like a good one.
until it becomes based on birth that is.
i hate to say, I did learn that from jesus.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:22 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is a joke, right?

"Which religion is the true religion?" NONE of them!

But OP, come on, you must be punking us. No one could (seriously) ask such a silly question.
This would be my opinion as well. Organized religions are all about someone else telling YOU what to believe, and what horrible thing will happen to you if you don't believe as they do. Sounds like a spiritual insurance agent to me. Do you think your "god" is like a spiritual insurance agent and needs to promote fear in order to gain your compliance and everlasting devotion ? If so, your god is definitely crafty, sneaky and has quite an ego to boot!

If there was no religion and all of our worlds societies failed, and/or we blew up or despoiled the earth to the point none of us could survive, it wouldn't be because of "god" punishing us for misbehavior....but it would rather be because we weren't mature enough to be able to run our human affairs in a productive, self-sustaining and compassionate (towards our fellow earth inhabitants be they human, flora or fauna) way without the threat of punishment from the big bad god.

Some consider us children of god....if so, we need to grow up! Only when we're able to act appropriately without the threats all religions seem to promise us for our ill behavior, only then will we be anything but petulant children. That's why organized religions were started....by man, to keep people in line with threats of fearsome futures if we misbehaved. If we still need those threats to keep us in line, it's because we have no internal self control and need external control. There are always plenty of religions/people/groups/governments more than willing to control us.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:40 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?
In a way it's kind of hard to argue Christianity is not the only true religion due to the following:

A. In Revelation 19:16 Jesus is given the full title of "King Of Kings And Lord Of Lords"

B. Yet in Revelation 17:14 it switches to Jesus being "Lord Of Lords And King Of Kings"

So Christians really have you coming and going. It's also impossible to say "I'm afraid you have things backwards, MY religion is the true one, NOT Christianity!!" due to both directions being covered...

Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Noahidism is probably the closest thing to a true religion on Earth at this time but even that is mostly just BS.
All religions are mostly BS.

So what do we do?
Do we reject all religion and become atheist.
No. Atheism is mostly BS too.

There simply is no winning move here.
You gotta be in it to win it.
Nobody actually “knows” the winning move, however, we can try our best to make the move by using our intelligence, logic and our research.

I see that sometimes we have critical or sarcastic shots at Bible versus and/or at Christianity; however, in my opinion that’s not a very fruitful endeavor.

I may see some extreme practices in the Hindu religion, questionable and disturbing (like the Aghories eating the flesh of dead human bodies in their rituals), so what’s the point if I keep taking shots at them on an Internet forum?

If Bible and Christian theology does not sit well with your idealology then put it on a side and move on in your quest to find the signs of God and his message to you. An honest try, is all what we can do.

As I stated before,
Man does not know his final destiny, but he can try his best till his destiny is revealed to him.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?
No, and not all Christians believe that it is.

Other Christians believe that their variety of Christianity is the only true religion.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You gotta be in it to win it.
Nobody actually “knows” the winning move, however, we can try our best to make the move by using our intelligence, logic and our research.

I see that sometimes we have critical or sarcastic shots at Bible versus and/or at Christianity; however, in my opinion that’s not a very fruitful endeavor.

I may see some extreme practices in the Hindu religion, questionable and disturbing (like the Aghories eating the flesh of dead human bodies in their rituals), so what’s the point if I keep taking shots at them on an Internet forum?

If Bible and Christian theology does not sit well with your idealology then put it on a side and move on in your quest to find the signs of God and his message to you. An honest try, is all what we can do.

As I stated before,
Man does not know his final destiny, but he can try his best till his destiny is revealed to him.
So you think it's about winning. Let's see...who else says that all the time?

Old 12-06-2018, 10:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
This is a joke, right?

"Which religion is the true religion?" NONE of them!

But OP, come on, you must be punking us. No one could (seriously) ask such a silly question.
Good answer but some of us are likely to think you are a "rough beast" with all that "slouching."

Old 12-06-2018, 10:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Is he advocating stopping quarrelling and agree to co -exist? Christianity will never give up trying to make converts. And if this pope can get Islam to peacefully co -exist with the other religions, he'll be up for a Nobel peace -prize.

Is he suggesting sidelining the trapping of religion as mere human invention and not being Needful in themselves, and the belief inSomething More is the only thing that matters?
I go a step further. All takes on religion are a way of meeting in a viable world for all. But each one has to give up social control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality