Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Maybe only Mormons and Jehovah's witness. All other Christians basically believe in the same thing. The Trinity
I grew up in the Church of Christ. I assure you, it is NOT only Mormons and JWs who believe they are the only ones going to Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:50 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
What is the origin of the universe in general and humanity in particular?

What happens to one's conciousness when the physical body dies?

Any answer other than "Nobody really knows." is a fabrication.

That's exactly right.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not true. My mother's aunt called her regularly urging her to become a Baptist and be immersed because only they were going to get into heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I grew up in the Church of Christ. I assure you, it is NOT only Mormons and JWs who believe they are the only ones going to Heaven.
I know the LDS got themselves in some controversy by Baptizing non-LDS people who had already passed, obviously without their consent or seeking consent of any surviving relatives. An LDS friend of mine explained that they would now have their ticket to heaven validated "just in case", if they needed it, they would now get in.

Would the LDS baptize folks presently alive without them necessarily joining the Church? Would the Baptists do the same? I took a bus tour of Switzerland recently that stopped for lunch in Liechtenstein, it is a tiny principality, more of an exit off the freeway than a country. Some people on the tour paid 3 francs to have their passports stamped, although they had no need with the "open border" policy now in place.

One could have a religious "Passport" with as many stamps as they felt they may need, if multiple religions would abide...

Old 12-07-2018, 03:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?
The true religion is the one you believe...and tells you to LOVE your neighbors (all of your neighbors) as you love god.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The true religion is the one you believe...and tells you to LOVE your neighbors (all of your neighbors) as you love god.
But only if they love the god you love.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:47 PM

919 posts, read 848,591 times
No, here is the one true religion. It has two commandments, and like Asimov's laws of robotics, #1 > #2.

1. Help, don't harm.
2. Have a good time.

You don't need to know anything else to be religious. If you want to believe in God, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Cosmic Order, you may. If not, not.
(I was going to add the Golden Rule, but masochists invalidated that.)

Old 12-07-2018, 04:58 PM

605 posts, read 335,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
And there are many Christians within sects, that recognize other Christians within other sects as still Christian.
"Non-denominational" sects of Christianity would also tell you that Christianity by itself is a religion.
Christian is found in the bible and that is where you also find the definition
It's not rocket science.

We don't worry about what others claim. Go to the source to find the truth

Old 12-07-2018, 05:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
It's not rocket science.

Then who would you argue/debate with? How could/would one express their righteous indignation?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 PM

605 posts, read 335,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
And there are many Christians within sects, that recognize other Christians within other sects as still Christian.
"Non-denominational" sects of Christianity would also tell you that Christianity by itself is a religion.
Christian is a word derived from the bible so that is where you also find the definition
What others claim as the definition matters not. Go to the source

Old 12-07-2018, 05:46 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
It's not rocket science.
Quote:
Christian is a word derived from the bible so that is where you also find the definition
What others claim as the definition matters not. Go to the source
As much as you would like to be the dictator of humanity and decide such things, Bumble, YOU do NOT have the authority to do so. A Christian is whoever follows Christ - whatever way he/she follows Him. YOU do not dictate to humanity especially not in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality