Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Noahidism is probably the closest thing to a true religion on Earth at this time but even that is mostly just BS.
All religions are mostly BS.

So what do we do?
Do we reject all religion and become atheist.
No. Atheism is mostly BS too.

There simply is no winning move here.
You gotta be in it to win it.
Then I want out because there is no way to win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?
Christianity isn't a religion. There are religions within Christianity though- Baptist, Nazarene, etc. for example

A Chiristian is defined as a Christ Follower. It's not a religion in and of itself.

There are many religions that do not follow Christ, some don't even believe in his diety of being GOD and Christ and/or those Apostles who he chose to relay his message.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
[...snip...]

they all have some truths, like everything else.
commitment to community and relationships seems like a good one.

[...snip...]
Yes, and even that has its mediating circumstances.

The true religion is the one that matches up to testable and demonstrable reality; although not in all the wrong ways that many religious people think makes their religion match to reality: such as feelings, coincidences, force, blinkered rationalizations, etc.

This fact would require the true religion to be extremely skeptical, extremely introspective, and extremely extrospective, etc. The only one of these three that the current major world religions usually have (at least in some small segments of their factions) is extreme, yet loyalist, instrospection. And if they ever even have an inkling of extrospection it is most often either self-confirmatory (as in liberal factions of religions) or defamatory and disparaging (as in conservative factions of religions).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 12-06-2018 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
You gotta be in it to win it.
Nobody actually ā€œknowsā€ the winning move, however, we can try our best to make the move by using our intelligence, logic and our research.

I see that sometimes we have critical or sarcastic shots at Bible versus and/or at Christianity; however, in my opinion thatā€™s not a very fruitful endeavor.

I may see some extreme practices in the Hindu religion, questionable and disturbing (like the Aghories eating the flesh of dead human bodies in their rituals), so whatā€™s the point if I keep taking shots at them on an Internet forum?

If Bible and Christian theology does not sit well with your idealology then put it on a side and move on in your quest to find the signs of God and his message to you. An honest try, is all what we can do.

As I stated before,
Man does not know his final destiny, but he can try his best till his destiny is revealed to him.
You dressed that up well, dude. Unfortunately, you are like a politician standing up and talking about reforming wasteful expenditure, and letting people reap the reward of their own hard work, and they know what is being said is "Screw the poor and let the Ruling bods stuff their pockets".

So, after swiping at atheism which is of course Wrong because it is not polite to Christianity, you can coax the wavering Biblesucker away from the church and guess what alternative you have in mind?

Anyone want to pop a suggestion?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Christianity isn't a religion. There are religions within Christianity though- Baptist, Nazarene, etc. for example

A Chiristian is defined as a Christ Follower. It's not a religion in and of itself.

There are many religions that do not follow Christ, some don't even believe in his diety of being GOD and Christ and/or those Apostles who he chose to relay his message.
And there are many Christians within sects, that recognize other Christians within other sects as still Christian.
"Non-denominational" sects of Christianity would also tell you that Christianity by itself is a religion.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
[...snip...]
As I stated before,
Man does not know his final destiny, but he can try his best till his destiny is revealed to him.
I believe that a Japanese proverb says,

"One realizes their true nature at the moment of death."

But this is not entirely true, for at every stage of life, even dying, all and any observers can be wrong. Sure, the point of no return during truely dying will indeed be the last time one would have the thought or feeling of knowing their true nature, though.

Still, one's whole life is what is supposed to define them, without death, it never concludes.

Regardless, destiny is stripped of meaning and distiction unless it is finite and conclusive. Without the later two, destiny is just another bland and grounded occurance in the variable sea of life.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Christians have the Holy Spirit abiding on their spirits , as Holy Spirit is the only Spirit of the living God , as God give His Spirit to the followers of Jesus Christ
Jesus is just yahweh in a skin suit and a different name, right?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 12-07-2018 at 04:55 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 04:39 AM

16,761 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?
Which version of Christianity?

They can not all be true.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:

As I stated before,
Interesting.

Tell me GoCard, does god know everyoneā€™s final destiny long before man?

You have to sey yes if your god is omniscient.

If god has you slated to go to the bad place before one is conceived, can any man change that destiny?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, and even that has its mediating circumstances.

The true religion is the one that matches up to testable and demonstrable reality; although not in all the wrong ways that many religious people think makes their religion match to reality: such as feelings, coincidences, force, blinkered rationalizations, etc.

This fact would require the true religion to be extremely skeptical, extremely introspective, and extremely extrospective, etc. The only one of these three that the current major world religions usually have (at least in some small segments of their factions) is extreme, yet loyalist, instrospection. And if they ever even have an inkling of extrospection it is most often either self-confirmatory (as in liberal factions of religions) or defamatory and disparaging (as in conservative factions of religions).
yup, of course I agree. you snipped out my mediating circumstance.

the ways I speak to your notions is: "police your own first" and "apply the same rigor to our statement of belief as we would theirs". the better religious ( I say religious because it is people responsibility) do that. of course, when they are being skeptical, beating them over the head with "that's apologetic, thus wrong" and "semantics" doesn't always allow the best evaluation process to self correct the group's interests. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality