Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 06:12 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Who said atheism is true? I'm an atheist because the evidence, in my mind, points toward it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's true. Don't try that "that's an agnostic" either.
People do have trouble with implications. When you demand that there be "proof" or evidence that something exists or is true, you implicitly hold the opposite "belief," and it IS your default "belief" IF you do NOT know. This old saw has seen more use in this forum by cowardly atheists desiring to slam "believers" with their disingenuous "burden of proof" without incurring the otherwise impossible burden on their "beliefs." Show some courage and at least own your "beliefs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
People do have trouble with implications. When you demand that there be "proof" or evidence that something exists or is true, you implicitly hold the opposite "belief," and it IS your default "belief" IF you do NOT know. This old saw has seen more use in this forum by cowardly atheists desiring to slam "believers" with their disingenuous "burden of proof" without incurring the otherwise impossible burden on their "beliefs." Show some courage and at least own your "beliefs."
I disagree. Don't you have a space reserved in your mind for "yeah, that's highly unlikely"? How many categories do you have in there Mystic? Yes/No, On/Off Up/Down.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Don't you have a space reserved in your mind for "yeah, that's highly unlikely"? How many categories do you have in there Mystic? Yes/No, On/Off Up/Down.
It doesn't matter how many categories you claim to have, whatever you accept by default without proof is what you "BELIEVE." As a "BELIEF," it is as exempt from the need for proof as the theists' belief but atheists would seek to disingenuously demand proof from the theists without acknowledging their own "belief-without-proof" because the proof is impossible for their preferred belief.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many categories you claim to have, whatever you accept by default without proof is what you "BELIEVE." As a "BELIEF," it is as exempt from the need for proof as the theists' belief but atheists would seek to disingenuously demand proof from the theists without acknowledging their own "belief-without-proof" because the proof is impossible for their preferred belief.
You are using words like accept and belief and truth and I don't think you know what any of that means to me. I think you've been frozen in time for 30 of looking for evidence to confirm what you already believed to be true. I've had experiences similar to you yet you've never asked me about it. I've asked you plenty and only get the dodge. You seem pretty content to try and slap labels on people instead of taking the time to check your evidence against there's.

Edit: PS, I realize there is no PROOF. That's fine. Just show me evidence.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 PM

937 posts, read 744,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Which religion is the true religion?
they either want to substantiate those ideas to those who prod or merely want attention for those ideas from anyone willing to consume them hook, line, and sinker.
Or they want to discuss ideas, experiences, and perspectives with others who are on their wavelength in a spirituality forum. Yes, discuss with people on their wavelength or coming from their perspective versus debating with people who believe differently. Some may want to engage like that debating this and that or proving this or that, but I do not.

I'm not going to try and substantiate or prove spiritual experiences that I have had with those who have not had them. I would do so in the spirit of a true, genuine, heartfelt, compassionate, and respectful inquiry. If Harry had said, "Chloe333, I don't share your perspective but tell me how have you personally experienced spirituality or Source/Creator/God/Consciousness or another dimension or realm or energy or healings or whatever to lead you to your conclusions to help me better understand," then I would respond.

But the sense is that it would become an incredibly tiresome and tedious walking on eggshells and weighing every single word said and how it was said to avoid a ridiculing gotcha at every turn. In that spirit or context of debating, gotcha, and win-lose exchange, no thanks. Plus, as an energy sensitive person, the forum can feel too hostile, one upping, and competitive to me to want to do that here anyway even if someone asked me to. In fact, I don't like posting here and am signing off after this.

I remember the Eckhart Tolle thread to discuss his teachings on here awhile back and it was the same thing with some posters jumping onto the thread and insulting Tolle 'followers' comparing us to stupid sheep. One person even went so far as to say she hated people like us.

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-05-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You are using words like accept and belief and truth and I don't think you know what any of that means to me. I think you've been frozen in time for 30 of looking for evidence to confirm what you already believed to be true. I've had experiences similar to you yet you've never asked me about it. I've asked you plenty and only get the dodge. You seem pretty content to try and slap labels on people instead of taking the time to check your evidence against there's.
I certainly did not mean to evoke that kind of response or belief in you, L8. Please share your experiences with us and your interpretations of them.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I certainly did not mean to evoke that kind of response or belief in you, L8. Please share your experiences with us and your interpretations of them.
I can handle it Mystic. That wasn't an attempt to ask you to talk about myself. I've told the story enough times to get heard and connect and that's all it was ever for.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I can handle it Mystic. That wasn't an attempt to ask you to talk about myself. I've told the story enough times to get heard and connect and that's all it was ever for.
I have immense respect for what you went through, L8 and very glad you escaped from it. I was only trying to disabuse the atheists from using the tired dodge of their lack of belief not being a belief, which is simply preposterous under any rigorous logical scrutiny. If you accept a state of Reality without KNOWING it is true, that is a BELIEF about the state of Reality, period.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I have immense respect for what you went through, L8 and very glad you escaped from it. I was only trying to disabuse the atheists from using the tired dodge of their lack of belief not being a belief, which is simply preposterous under any rigorous logical scrutiny. If you accept a state of Reality without KNOWING it is true, that is a BELIEF about the state of Reality, period.
I'm not upset Mystic. I have coping skills for being told I'm wrong before I even open my mouth or that my opinions are flawed just because they don't match the person I'm talking too. I'm sure we've all experienced that.

Who is making a claim on reality? The best I can do is try and build a good working model of it.

I just realized you are getting me to talk about myself but I'm not reiterating my transcendent experiences out of pure spit at this point.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not upset Mystic. I have coping skills for being told I'm wrong before I even open my mouth or that my opinions are flawed just because they don't match the person I'm talking too. I'm sure we've all experienced that.

Who is making a claim on reality? The best I can do is try and build a good working model of it.

I just realized you are getting me to talk about myself but I'm not reiterating my transcendent experiences out of pure spit at this point.
As you wish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality