Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 11:31 AM

937 posts, read 743,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
What are the rules?

I most often choose the ones in the consensus of vocal experts in logic and science.

The awe, wonder, testing, and understanding there are beyond astounding.
In regard to Harry's rules that I was referring to, the rule is that those with spiritual beliefs must prove it to others. I am relating my own experience, conclusions, and perceptions, but don't feel compelled to try and prove that what I am saying is true to anyone.

I greatly appreciate and take into consideration logic and science too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:16 PM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
In regard to Harry's rules that I was referring to, the rule is that those with spiritual beliefs must prove it to others.
That was not my rule. I do not need you to prove anything. I just want people to not represent their beliefs as facts.

Quote:
I am relating my own experience, conclusions, and perceptions, but don't feel compelled to try and prove that what I am saying is true to anyone.
No one is asking you to.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
In regard to Harry's rules that I was referring to, the rule is that those with spiritual beliefs must prove it to others. I am relating my own experience, conclusions, and perceptions, but don't feel compelled to try and prove that what I am saying is true to anyone.

It's not his forum and it's okay to use the ignore button.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:

Harry only has one rule

"I either deem it worthy for anti-religious iron curtain or its invalid."

what other rule does he have?

Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I just want people to not represent their beliefs as facts.
Just be aware of not acting like Deputy Harry sauntering around here trying to hand out Atheist tickets and citations. It's a Religion and Spirituality forum, after all.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:35 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
That was not my rule. I do not need you to prove anything. I just want people to not represent their beliefs as facts.
Then why do you do it? Don't try that tired old saw that yours is a lack of belief, either. Anything you hold to be true without absolute knowledge is a belief.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-05-2019 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 04:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:

Harry's rules? You guys are making this up. Rather, psychologically defensive. I will not ask many people for any substantiation, I will merely comment on my experience, conclusions, and perceptions of their claims and ideas. Based on the customs in respectable logic and science.

What good or use could there be in justifying ideas, beliefs, or accusations, right?

As you were bearing witness and making claims, Harry Diogenes asked for the real evidence, as is customary due to his experience, conclusions, and perceptions.

I would have done the same, had I cared enough about some random mere attention thief's as yet unsupported claims and beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by three myths of Diogenes the Cynic

“It’s my fate to steal,” pleaded a tearful young thief who had been caught red-handed by Diogenes in a crowd.

“Then it is also your fate to be beaten,” said Diogenes, bopping him across the head with his staff.

A heckler in the crowd shouted out, “Our lives and minds are not made like that, we can’t be bothered with your heartless rules.”

“Why do you even bother to live,” Diogenes retorted, “if you can’t be bothered to live properly?”

In the midst of this serious discourse in the market's forum, Diogenes realized no one was listening.

So he instead began to whistle and dance about to attract attention.

Immediately, even more people began to flock around him.

Diogenes stopped and stared, “You idiots, you are not interested to stop and pay attention to wisdom against your feelings and your desires, yet you rush up to defend your own foolishness; or worse even now: to observe a stranger's foolish display.”
Harry Diogenes must have been worried that the mere display of your (or any similar) unsubstantiated claims and ideas might somehow have a continued negative impact, were its unsubstantiation not addressed properly.

I have no such worry, currently, in this situation. But that is only due to my experience, conclusions, and perceptions.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 05-05-2019 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 04:49 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then why do you do it? Don't try that tired old saw that yours is a lack of belief, either. Anything you hold to be true without absolute knowledge is a belief.
Who said atheism is true? I'm an atheist because the evidence, in my mind, points toward it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's true. Don't try that "that's an agnostic" either.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
some random mere attention thief's as yet unsupported claims and beliefs.
Huh? Attention thief? I responded to the OP asking for perspectives on 'true religion' or spirituality. Then I responded to Harry's comments about my comment being weak and flimsy and that I failed to (which implies the need to) prove it. How is that being a 'mere attention thief?'

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-05-2019 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 06:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Huh? Attention thief? I responded to the OP asking for perspectives on 'true religion' or spirituality. Then I responded to Harry's comments about my comment being weak and flimsy and that I failed to (which implies the need to) prove it. How is that being a 'mere attention thief?'
Which religion is the true religion?

Merely because I have an understanding that when one airs their ideas in a forum with so much ample time for discourse as the commenter wants to give themselves: they either want to substantiate those ideas to those who prod or merely want attention for those ideas from anyone willing to consume them hook, line, and sinker.

Quote:
Cooking with gas in a house built on sand. You have failed to show there is a most improbable intelligent source.
I have to admit, I don't really get the analogy, but
I don't see a "must" there from Harry Diogenes.
Looks again like a comment from their experience, conclusions, and perceptions.

Is this supposed "rule" somewhere else?

No real worries, but, this is what the O.P. commented and asked on the first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
A Christian told me today that Christianity is the only TRUE religion and that all other religions are "False" religions. So is Christianity the only TRUE religion?

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 05-05-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality