Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyI View Post
Actually, I wasn't. I don't care about etymology, which makes your claim here false. I was referring to the definition of religion, not the historically accepted meaning or origins. My definition is based on the truth of what is happening, not anything historical.

What causes every problem on earth? Satan. What is satan? False beliefs. How do you get people to believe in things that are false? repeat Lies. LIG = Lie and/or to entertain. With the prefix RE means repeat and become lies.

If you want to make this world a better place then you must define things based on what is actually happening. Jesus called that God's Messenger of Truth. Etymology has zero value when it comes to the future of the world, especially when it comes to activism. What do I do, personally? I'm a consciousness based activist, also known as a saint or a messiah.

History, and thus etymology, has a greater value than you'd care to think.
Are you still "relaxing" on this?

Religio was a word that the Romans used to differentiate their "State-sponsored" beliefs from Superstitio.

And the word does not come from ancient Britain into Rome.

Religare ("to bind quickly" as with rope rather than glue) so then relig ("bind") so then religio ("thing of binding = contract" = state-sponsored beliefs which were allowed to be uptaken by pagan monks and priests)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,802 times
With more than 10,000 religions in the world, it's pretty clear that none of them are "true."

Religions rely upon words to tell a story about who we are. People then believe in these stories. Then they think these stories are "true" just because the narrative of one particular story falls in line with what they have experienced.

A different story that other people believe (because they have had a different experience) then becomes "blasphemous."

Hatred then ensues. And killing someone just because they believe in a different story becomes acceptable.

Words are just words. They are useful to describe a model of the world. But they are just approximations of experience. Words are insufficient to describe our shared reality. When you believe in these word-stories you fall victim to extremism, vice, hatred, division and, worst of all, your own ego.

Last edited by Astron1000; 04-28-2019 at 12:54 AM..

Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have no idea why you quoted my post from December 2018 (which was directly in response to the OP) in your reply above ^^^. Your reply did not respond in any way to what I wrote. (I mean, you do understand that your simply stating that your bible says something doesn't make your religion "the one true religion" -- right? And you do understand that other people with other religious beliefs often believe that THEIRS is "the one true religion" -- right? )

This is why I usually stay out of this forum ... too many things that make no sense at all ...

The teachings of Jesus prove it. Few know what he actually teaches. I have shared 7 very important ones found in every translation on earth, yet EVERY single trinitarian rejects them as his teachings. WHY? Because they are not being taught truth.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:37 PM

23,167 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
With more than 10,000 religions in the world, it's pretty clear that none of them are "true."

Religions rely upon words to tell a story about who we are. People then believe in these stories. Then they think these stories are "true" just because the narrative of one particular story falls in line with what they have experienced.

A different story that other people believe (because they have had a different experience) then becomes "blasphemous."

Hatred then ensues. And killing someone just because they believe in a different story becomes acceptable.

Words are just words. They are useful to describe a model of the world. But they are just approximations of experience. Words are insufficient to describe our shared reality. When you believe in these word-stories you fall victim to extremism, vice, hatred, division and, worst of all, your own ego.
Lol.

It's pretty clear huh?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
One day I'll be kicking myself when the founder of 'Bespoke religions inc.' is flying around in his gold plated Dreamliner when I said 'it'll never catch on'.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Lol.

It's pretty clear huh?

I understated. Yes, it's crystal clear.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:40 PM

23,167 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
I understated. Yes, it's crystal clear.
Live around Houston?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 AM

937 posts, read 744,342 times
Quote:

Great answer! I would add to this that people often believe in the stories they were brought up to believe in their family and culture. It can be very hard for people to doubt, question, or walk away from what they were raised to believe because many religious teachings instill the fear of doing so.

To answer the OP's question about what is the 'true religion,' the true 'religion' or more accurately just the truth is that which many religions can serve as pointers to. Yet, the pointers get mistaken and confused for the actual truth. It would be akin to if I was traveling to the beach and saw a road sign for it, and I confused the road sign for the actual beach. I stopped traveling and parked myself with my beach chair and towel right near the road sign thinking I had arrived at the beach.

That is what happens with people in many religions and that is why their experiences can be dead, frustrating, or confounding. Things don't add up. Things don't pan out. Something is amiss. They look around at themselves and others who are following the precepts and there is no great change or transformation that has occurred. Again, it doesn't add up. It's painful to experience this reality gap between what is being taught and what is occurring in reality, and this can create a terrible and painful crisis of faith. The root of the problem is that they have clung onto a pointer or sign to the truth versus the actual truth.

The truth is that there is a powerful and intelligent One Consciousness/Creator/Source/God/One Intelligence (pick your label/pointer/road sign) from which all things emerge. When one goes beyond the 'signs' that exist in this world to the actual 'destination', one can much more powerfully and directly experience, perceive, and know to some extent this intelligent Source to which all of the pointers are pointing to. You have now gone way beyond the sign or mediator/middle man of the truth and directly to the truth. I can still have somewhat of an experience of being at the beach with my beach chair, sunscreen, and towel parked right under the sign 'Beach' on the highway, but it is nowhere near the experience that I would have if I left the sign and actually made my way to the actual beach. You can imagine the confusion, frustration, and reality gap that I could experience in trying to make sense of how I thought I was at the beach while sitting under the sign to the beach.

Gotta go past the signs to the actual destination and NOW you are FINALLY cooking with gas!

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-04-2019 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Oh, you are so close. You are so clearly seeing those who have Faith in the Signs and won't listen to those who explain that the beach is actually beyond.

'"Experience teaches us that the sign is just something made by man..the beach is beyond."

"That's just your Opinion.I have Faith. if you had Faith, you'd see the Sign for the truth that it is."

And if you get to the beach...the problems are only just starting.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 PM

3,338 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"That's just your Opinion.I have Faith. if you had Faith, you'd see the Sign for the truth that it is."

Indeed, simultaneously one of the most dangerous concepts and worst arguments I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality