Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And yet, a missionary dies and you (or at least your buddies here) accept WITHOUT question that it proves Jesus is imaginary. As long as the evidence goes against Christianity, atheists accept it without question.
More Jeffspeak. We DO question the evidence. It always turns out to be rubbish.

Quote:
If the evidence supports Christianity, they apply such an extreme level of scrutiny that it would be impossible to prove anything is real under such terms.
Except it does not support Christianity. It supports the fact that some tumors get better on their own. Or in the case in your link, after medical treatment.

If a doctor cures someone, it is not a miracle. For the sole survivor of a passenger plane crash, it is not a miracle if the other passengers die.

Quote:
If I'm wrong then please tell me what kind of evidence would satisfy you that a miracle from God took place.
One that can NOT be explained by natural causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, except God sure does play favorites, doesn't he, Jeff--curing this particular girl and letting 100,000 other Christian children die horribly in great pain and suffering despite millions of prayers for them. Please explain that one, Jeff--beside those tired old canards, "God works in mysterious ways, don't cha know" and "Our ways are not God's ways, don't cha know."

Don't cha know, Jeff????????
He does play favorites, and as a believer I'm one of his favorites! Keep your sarcastic response to yourself, if you can control your urges.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
I saw this news piece today. Yet another case of a family praying for a loved one and a major tumor just completely vanishes into thin air.

https://fox2now.com/2018/12/17/docto...or-disappears/

Of course, atheists will try to scramble for some explanation or act like it is just perfectly normal for cancer to vanish, but the doctors, ya know the real experts can't explain this one and are baffled. The survival rate for DIPG is very low and this cancer can not be cured through modern medicine. Yet she was completely cured through the power of prayer. Believe that!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/2346822002/
That isn't evidence of anything at all. Christians don't have the power of the Holy spirit that was given on Pentecost, CERTAINLY not people who reject Pentecost. There isn't any confusion or misunderstanding the appointed rains and how they work, unfortunately, the people who are always claiming to have the power of the Holy spirit don't know anything about the two rains which were appointed as gifts to the people who keep the two atzerets. The first rain was never designed to remain, from it's very beginning it was already appointed to rain and then stop raining and Paul tells us this along with the facts of how the two seasons have always worked, the spring rain comes, and it goes away, and now the people of God are waiting on the promised rain of Shemini Atzeret on the last day of Sukkot.

It is so bizarre to see millions of people claiming to have a gift from a feast they neither keep or know, and yet all these people are claiming something they couldn't possibly have, and there is no wondering if people have this power or not, it is quite evident that nobody has any power and if JUST ONE PERSON had the power of the Holy spirit, we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it, and there would be no such thing as an Atheist.... It is so very sad for Christians to present themselves to an Atheist as if they actually had the power of the Holy spirit because the Atheist is just going to laugh saying,'' If this is the Holy spirit, it is good proof of there being no God.''

Completely bizarre that so many people are claiming a gift from a holy day they don't keep, but to add insult to injury, they actually teach others not to keep any of the feasts of Messiah, and this disqualifies them from obtaining the last promised rain. People claiming to have a power they don't have, and they are giving Jesus a bad name because of it. It's as if a Christian has a split tongue where one half says,'' It is a sin to keep Pentecost,'' and the other side of the tongue is bragging about having a power from a feast they teach against, you can't make this stuff up............If just one person had the power of the Holy spirit, miracles would abound, not just some fluke where people are claiming a miracle. Those first disciples freaking raised dead people, the blind did see and the lame did walk......

You think you have this power?

Let's visit a children's cancer unit or a house for the blind, why are all these blind people out there when 100's of millions of Christians are claiming to have the power to heal them?

This is just so insulting and so depressing to make a dying child think they have a chance for a healing, Christians line up praying and claiming a miracle while millions die waiting on a miracle, and then one girl has a fluke healing of sorts, and Christians jump up saying,'' See.''

It is insulting, it is so over the top untrue, and desperate.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
He does play favorites, and as a believer I'm one of his favorites! Keep your sarcastic response to yourself, if you can control your urges.
Jesus loves his special snowflakes the bestest!!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, how can Thrill not be sarcastic when somebody is making deparate false claims?

You Christians don't have any power and to claim that you do is so ridiculous, and above all else, you only make the case for an Atheist.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
If I'm wrong then please tell me what kind of evidence would satisfy you that a miracle from God took place.
It's been mentioned a million times before but a simple regeneration of an amputated limb might do it ( and we'd even accept a little radiation)

Old 12-18-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Jesus loves his special snowflakes the bestest!!
Tornado rips through a town and kills 500 Christian people, and then they interview one survivor who says,'' It's a miracle, I was praying and God saved me, see, it's proof of God.''

How can anyone take them seriously?

I need a healing for my eyes and here are all these selfish greedy Christians with power and not one will heal me.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
Miracles still happen- God does not change.
Proof?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:56 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
And yet, a missionary dies and you (or at least your buddies here) accept WITHOUT question that it proves Jesus is imaginary. As long as the evidence goes against Christianity, atheists accept it without question. If the evidence supports Christianity, they apply such an extreme level of scrutiny that it would be impossible to prove anything is real under such terms.

I don't believe that I've ever said that Jesus is imaginary. In fact, I know I've said that I believe he existed and was a moral teacher. So the premise of your post in WRONG.

What would satisfy me that a miracle took place. Well, as I have said previously, it would be much easier for me to accept much of religion if god just took the time to appear to everyone on earth and settle the matter of his existence.

But, back to this particular thread's topic, several times I have know people who had been given virtual death sentences by doctors, only to recover after intense prayer...only to relapse and die of the original disease/condition. Don't tell me that doesn't happen fairly often.

Or take my father. Given a virtual death sentence by doctors after a massive heart attack and stroke, only to fully recover and live another 15 years independently WITHOUT prayer.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Actually, thrillobyte was the one who thought the stupid, dead missionary was proof of no-Jesus. I don't recall any other poster agreeing. I just thought it proved some people shouldn't leave the house without a competent adult to mind them.

As to what evidence would satisfy a skeptic: How about God appearing in the sky around the world at the same time, in full view of everyone, and solving Rubik's cube behind his back while singing show tunes and tap dancing?

I'd sign up to the God squad right quick, I tell ya' h'whut
Yes, it was thrillobyte, and not me...but that doesn't matter to Jeff.

I wouldn't even demand the Rubik's cube stunt, singing showtunes (well, he could "Memory" from "Cats"), or dancing. Just the sort of thing that happened in a 1950s movie called "The Next Voice".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality