Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times

Advertisements

I’d take a smiley face on the moon that says I’m the god of abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Not on tv or video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I saw this news piece today. Yet another case of a family praying for a loved one and a major tumor just completely vanishes into thin air.

https://fox2now.com/2018/12/17/docto...or-disappears/

Of course, atheists will try to scramble for some explanation or act like it is just perfectly normal for cancer to vanish, but the doctors, ya know the real experts can't explain this one and are baffled. The survival rate for DIPG is very low and this cancer can not be cured through modern medicine. Yet she was completely cured through the power of prayer. Believe that!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/2346822002/

Explain THIS. Then we can talk.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the link!

Quote:
I saw this news piece today. Yet another case of a family praying for a loved one and a major tumor just completely vanishes into thin air.

https://fox2now.com/2018/12/17/docto...or-disappears/

Of course, atheists will try to scramble for some explanation or act like it is just perfectly normal for cancer to vanish, but the doctors, ya know the real experts can't explain this one and are baffled. The survival rate for DIPG is very low and this cancer can not be cured through modern medicine. Yet she was completely cured through the power of prayer. Believe that!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rs/2346822002/

Praise God!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, except God sure does play favorites, doesn't he, Jeff--curing this particular girl and letting 100,000 other Christian children die horribly in great pain and suffering despite millions of prayers for them. Please explain that one, Jeff--beside those tired old canards, "God works in mysterious ways, don't cha know" and "Our ways are not God's ways, don't cha know."

Don't cha know, Jeff????????
We live in a sin cursed world with a sin cursed body so pain is just a reality. Your post only reflects the limitations of human thinking. We can only make sense of things that are absolute, always occuring, all encompassing. So you think it's only fair that if God heals one, He should heal everyone.

But if every ailment is wiped away for everyone every time then the physical body never dies. Then God becomes a liar when He declared that sin would result in death. The reality is that as each person is complete unique, our life journey is completely unique. Only God knows the outcome of healing or letting someone continue to endure pain. Who knows, this girl could grow up to touch many lives and lead them to Christ through her testimony of healing. Someone else that gets healed could grow up to commit a mass murder. Then you would blame God for healing that person.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Praise God!
Yes, you do that. Then go to every wake in your area and explain to those family members there, why their beloveds are in a casket and she isn't.
I'm sure they'll welcome your explanation

(oh yeah, sorry, I forgot....god works in mysterious ways...…...how comforting)

Old 12-18-2018, 01:33 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
More Jeffspeak. We DO question the evidence. It always turns out to be rubbish.

You just proved that you will never accept evidence with that kind of attitude.

Quote:

Except it does not support Christianity. It supports the fact that some tumors get better on their own. Or in the case in your link, after medical treatment.
Radiation treatment only shrinks tumors. You act like it is perfectly normal for a late stage tumor to just vanish overnight despite the fact that even the doctors can't explain it. Are you a doctor? If it was a result of the treatment, they would have said so. Furthermore, you can't even explain the HOw a tumor might just disappear. It's just a massive copout to say, hey it's happens.

Quote:

If a doctor cures someone, it is not a miracle. For the sole survivor of a passenger plane crash, it is not a miracle if the other passengers die.

If the doctor cured her, they would have said it, not report that they were "baffled".

Old 12-18-2018, 02:31 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
I saw this news piece today. Yet another case of a family praying for a loved one and a major tumor just completely vanishes into thin air......
This is so depressing. NOT that a girl had cancer and is now better... that is fantastic. But it's depressing to see media and readers seize on the most far-fetched explanation possible, if it generates clicks and/or supports their world view. Our scientifically-illiterate populace strikes again!?

There are several possible explanations for this happy occurrence:

1. As reported, she received weeks of radiation treatment. That the tumor was "inoperable" means surgeons couldn't get at it to remove it, but that doesn't mean "untreatable." She was treated and apparently responded well, in a way that surprised her doctors. That's a good thing.

2. There are over 1000 reports of spontaneous remission/regression of tumors in the medical literature ("spontaneous" meaning in the absence of treatment). Spontaneous remission has been seen in all kinds of cancer, most often in kidney, brain, uterine and skin cancer. It happens often enough in neuroblastoma, the most common tumor in infants, that the National Cancer Institute (NCI) questions the relative value of screening. (And again, the girl in question was not untreated). There are, of course, many (many) more cancer patients that die without treatment, but this phenomenon is common enough that you can calculate statistics about how often it happens. Read all about it: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...52336416300255

3. Other things happening in a sick patient's body, like fevers or bacterial infections or changes in diet, have been known to trigger an immune response in just the right way to fight the cancer.

4. "We don't know how this happened" (... perhaps the best answer).

5. God (and not just any god, but Jesus) responded to her parents' prayers and performed a miracle. Notwithstanding the fact that controlled studies of prayer are inconclusive at best, with at least one indicating that prayer actually makes people do worse.

Note that explanation #5 is the ONLY one that requires supernatural intervention and suspension of everything else we know. That should logically be an explanation of last resort... why should we immediately leapfrog over all other possibilities, and land on that one??

Old 12-18-2018, 02:33 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
We live in a sin cursed world with a sin cursed body so pain is just a reality. Your post only reflects the limitations of human thinking. We can only make sense of things that are absolute, always occuring, all encompassing. So you think it's only fair that if God heals one, He should heal everyone.

But if every ailment is wiped away for everyone every time then the physical body never dies. Then God becomes a liar when He declared that sin would result in death. The reality is that as each person is complete unique, our life journey is completely unique. Only God knows the outcome of healing or letting someone continue to endure pain. Who knows, this girl could grow up to touch many lives and lead them to Christ through her testimony of healing. Someone else that gets healed could grow up to commit a mass murder. Then you would blame God for healing that person.
Wikipedia
Spontaneous remission
Spontaneous remission, also called spontaneous healing or spontaneous regression, is an unexpected improvement or cure from a disease that usually progresses. These terms are commonly used for unexpected transient or final improvements in cancer. Spontaneous remissions concern cancers of the haematopoietic system (blood cancer, e.g. leukemia), while spontaneous regressions concern palpable tumors; however, both terms are often used interchangeably.

Frequency of spontaneous regression in cancer
It has long been assumed that spontaneous regressions, let alone cures, from cancer are rare phenomena, and that some forms of cancer are more prone to unexpected courses (melanoma, neuroblastoma, lymphoma) than others (carcinoma). Frequency was estimated to be about 1 in 100,000 cancers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_remission

Spontaneous remission exists as a statistical possibility and when it occurs it's not the result of prayer. The abrupt cure of a severely deformed child, now THAT would be a miracle.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe that I've ever said that Jesus is imaginary. In fact, I know I've said that I believe he existed and was a moral teacher. So the premise of your post in WRONG.

What would satisfy me that a miracle took place. Well, as I have said previously, it would be much easier for me to accept much of religion if god just took the time to appear to everyone on earth and settle the matter of his existence.

But, back to this particular thread's topic, several times I have know people who had been given virtual death sentences by doctors, only to recover after intense prayer...only to relapse and die of the original disease/condition. Don't tell me that doesn't happen fairly often.

Or take my father. Given a virtual death sentence by doctors after a massive heart attack and stroke, only to fully recover and live another 15 years independently WITHOUT prayer.
MIRACLE, Thank God your dad got a miracle from God, now how do you know he didn't bump into a Christian? Were you watching the whole time? The shadows of righteous men can heal, and I am certain a person filled with power might just touch a dying person and heal him without even knowing, somebody touched Jesus and he said he felt power escape from him, ask around, maybe somebody touched him. Yeah, maybe, but thank God your dad got a miracle, or should I say, that you got a miracle. Now how do we know that God doesn't love you so much as to heal your father for your sake?

Just saying, you can't really say that prayer didn't heal him, do you know that God has appointed you your own personal angel whose job is to pray for you to speak on your behalf to God?

You can't know why, but I am really happy about it, my dad had open heart surgery and lived a few more years and those years meant so much.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:06 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
He does play favorites, and as a believer I'm one of his favorites! Keep your sarcastic response to yourself, if you can control your urges.
So you're telling us the 100,000 Christian children who die horribly in great agony despite millions of prayers offered for them--they are NOT God's favorites but you ARE one of God's chosen favorites???????

Riiiiiiiiiiiight, Bryan......whatever you say, guy!

Boy, you Christians are such hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality