Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But that is NOT what you want to do. You want to pretend that your preferred claim is that what "we don't know what it IS" is NOT God. That is NOT a blank slate! That is a claim. You want to pretend we start with what we can NOT validate (No God) that is NOT the same as "No Claim." In what reality can someone who does NOT have the knowledge involved in a debate or does NOT comprehend the issues in the arguments get to decide who has debunked whom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That is not what I (and we) do, and I'll thank you not to tell me how I think. You are still thinking that God is a thing to be assumed until we can disprove it. That is not how we start. We start with No claim A blank slate. And You have to validate the god - claim.
We do NOT make a claim. We state a belief. YOU do. "No God" is a God claim when you demand it be the default for our ignorance of what our Reality IS. Your refusal to understand this obvious CLAIM must be deliberate obfuscation to instantiate your atheism as the preferred position. THAT is dishonest!
Quote:
This is simple and you Godfaith is screwing you up, this why You are the one who fails to understand the issues, You are the one who - even if you have the knowledge, cannot use it properly, because of Godfaith. So your attempt to belittle my intelligence simply rebounds on you.
I do not belittle your intelligence, Arq. Your biblical scholarship (while unconventional) is creative and quite thought-provoking. But your lack of knowledge in critical areas combined with your inordinate overconfidence in your understanding of the issues just annoys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao ... I am a liberal atheist, you are not. You are fundy think sect of atheism. I am bias against fund-think thinking. and dern proud of it.

I am biased against your reasoning to side with bad people.

You don't get that shunning, changing, minimizing valid science in the name of "stop all religion" is wrong. So you are not being honest. I claim bad people are bad people. bad people express bad beliefs. I focus on bad people's beliefs. You think its ok to side with anti-god no matter what.

so its you that is dishonest. basing how the universe works on "practical to me", "don't give theist anything", and "use what sells atheism." is not honest. By definition, following that dogma can't be honest.
Extremists often see themselves as the Norm and all those who disagree as the extremists.

Quote:
We do NOT make a claim. We state a belief. YOU do. "No God" is a God claim when you demand it be the default for our ignorance of what our Reality IS. Your refusal to understand this obvious CLAIM must be deliberate obfuscation to instantiate your atheism as the preferred position. THAT is dishonest!
Mystic that is totally confused. Your'belief' is a claim 'A god exists'. Non belief in that claim is not a claim Forcing a 'no god' claim as a knowledge position (when axiomatically, agnosticism is the basis of atheism) is simply -as you say - dishonest, especially when it has been pointed out to you several times.

You make this even worse by trying to hook your beef with the materialist default through the utterly irrelevant not knowing what the Reality is, never mind the leapfrogging of non- sequiturs to "Our reality". Mystic, it's obvious that you have completely lost the plot and are just stringing irrelevancies to together to get to where you want - Godfaith is right and atheism is wrong. You certainly haven't substantiated you case here.

Quote:
I do not belittle your intelligence, Arq. Your biblical scholarship (while unconventional) is creative and quite thought-provoking.
That's for sure. I could be talking complete crap, but so far..nobody has shown that to be so.

Quote:
But your lack of knowledge in critical areas combined with your inordinate overconfidence in your understanding of the issues just annoys.

Nobody is within a light year of you for over -confidence, but the fact is that your faith -based errors are so obvious and glaring that it is hard to be in doubt. It is your faith -based lack of rationality that is screwing you, not your lack of knowledge.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-11-2019 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Mystic that is totally confused. Your belief' is a claim 'A god exists'. Non-belief in that claim is not a claim Forcing a 'no god' claim as a knowledge position (when axiomatically, agnosticism is the basis of atheism) is simply -as you say - dishonest, especially when it has been pointed out to you several times.
You make this even worse by trying to hook your beef with the materialist default through the utterly irrelevant not knowing what the Reality is, never mind the leapfrogging of non- sequiturs to "Our reality". Mystic, it's obvious that you have completely lost the plot and are just stringing irrelevancies to together to get to where you want - Godfaith is right and atheism is wrong. You certainly haven't substantiated your case here.
That is the point you keep missing. NEITHER of us can substantiate our beliefs as CLAIMS. You have repeated your semantic jiggery so often you probably actually believe it. We are BOTH free to BELIEVE that our reality is God or that it is not God using whatever evidence we consider probative. But you can NOT demand that we use the "Not God" as default and demand OTHER evidence for God without implicitly asserting YOUR belief as a defacto CLAIM requiring no evidence or proof. You seem to believe that if you confuse and conflate the definitions of atheist/agnostic sufficiently you can keep your default as atheism and annoy the theists with demands for proof OTHER than what is already extant.
Quote:
That's for sure. I could be talking complete crap, but so far..nobody has shown that to be so.
Yes, you have a remarkable talent for ingenious crap.
Quote:
Nobody is within a light year of you for overconfidence, but the fact is that your faith-based errors are so obvious and glaring that it is hard to be in doubt. It is your faith-based lack of rationality that is screwing you, not your lack of knowledge.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that my BELIEFS are based on personal experiences. They are just buttressed by extensive plausible scientific hypotheses (NOT validated). You have always had a problem parsing the two facets of my views and focus almost exclusively on my BELIEFS and faith in the Christ narrative. I suspect that is because it is easiest to rebut.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Extremists often see themselves as the Norm and all those who disagree as the extremists.

Mystic that is totally confused. Your'belief' is a claim 'A god exists'. Non belief in that claim is not a claim Forcing a 'no god' claim as a knowledge position (when axiomatically, agnosticism is the basis of atheism) is simply -as you say - dishonest, especially when it has been pointed out to you several times.

You make this even worse by trying to hook your beef with the materialist default through the utterly irrelevant not knowing what the Reality is, never mind the leapfrogging of non- sequiturs to "Our reality". Mystic, it's obvious that you have completely lost the plot and are just stringing irrelevancies to together to get to where you want - Godfaith is right and atheism is wrong. You certainly haven't substantiated you case here.

Nobody is within a light year of you for over -confidence, but the fact is that your faith -based errors are so obvious and glaring that it is hard to be in doubt. It is your faith -based lack of rationality that is screwing you, not your lack of knowledge.
you do see yourself as totally rational and your belief system will save us. hence you preponderance in clinging to "personal practical reasons", "feeling religion is so dangerous", and things like "apologetics" to make your case in you knowing what's best for the public to follow.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:11 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I await examples.
Post 156 is part of the evidence for atheism, (which includes strong atheism).

Quote:
I don't believe in a god because I don't know of any compelling evidence for theism and because I've not had one of these alleged personal experiences theists report having which has convinced them. However, I would not commit the fallacy of thinking that therefore there probably isn't a god. That doesn't follow, and so I don't think that way.
Yes, you do seem to have an inability to think Bayesian.

Quote:
That's just reasserting the claim. By what logic do we say "The size of the universe suggests there is no god"?
Because a large, old universe supports atheism because it is a requirement for us to have the chance to evolve. The fact that I need to explain this is amusing.

Quote:
I'm aware of no other cosmologist Craig has supposedly misrepresented, which is why I asked you to elaborate. If you can't do it, fine.
As your memory appears to be short, John Barrow and Frank Tipler, The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford: Clarendon Press), p. 442. This third time is enough.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
That is the point you keep missing. NEITHER of us can substantiate our beliefs as CLAIMS. You have repeated your semantic jiggery so often you probably actually believe it. We are BOTH free to BELIEVE that our reality is God or that it is not God using whatever evidence we consider probative. But you can NOT demand that we use the "Not God" as default and demand OTHER evidence for God without implicitly asserting YOUR belief as a defacto CLAIM requiring no evidence or proof. You seem to believe that if you confuse and conflate the definitions of atheist/agnostic sufficiently you can keep your default as atheism and annoy the theists with demands for proof OTHER than what is already extant.
As usual, your accusations work very well when applied to yourself. If you don't want to treat what is known about the world as the default, that is your problem. When you start abusing others because they do accept the 'default', it becomes a nuisance.

Quote:
Yes, you have a remarkable talent for ingenious crap.
You have a remarkable talent for cheap cracks.

Quote:
I have repeatedly acknowledged that my BELIEFS are based on personal experiences. They are just buttressed by extensive plausible scientific hypotheses (NOT validated). You have always had a problem parsing the two facets of my views and focus almost exclusively on my BELIEFS and faith in the Christ narrative. I suspect that is because it is easiest to rebut.
I have repeatedly acknowledged that I KNOW that your beliefs are based on personal experiences. I know this, even when you roll up plonking these beliefs down as claims that we should apparently accept, and I know how abusing and deprecating you can get when anyone disagrees with Your Beliefs.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-16-2019 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 02-15-2019, 07:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Quote:
As usual, your accusations work very well when applied to yourself. If you don't want to treat what is known about the world as the default, that is your problem. When you start abusing others because they do accept the 'default', it becomes a nuisance.

You have a remarkable talent for cheap cracks.

I have repeatedly acknowledged that I KNOW that your beliefs are based on personal experiences. I know this, even when you roll up plonking these beliefs down as claims that we should apparently accept, and I know how abusing and deprecating you can get when anyone disagrees with Your Beliefs.
yeah, our team doesn't do that You know, to keep that "springboard" that our team so clearly understands from public eyes.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-16-2019 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Post 156 is part of the evidence for atheism, (which includes strong atheism).
Okay, well let's have a look at it...

Quote:
When we go outside, we do not see gods with elephant heads, or monkeys flying on clouds, or people walking on water.
Which doesn't even address belief in the Christian god, or any other god which is said to be immaterial, the creator of the universe, etc., much less refute it.

Quote:
When we look at science, we always find it was never a god that did it. We keep on finding that we do not need a god to explain things.
Which would refute a sort of "god-of-the-gaps" mentality. One cannot assume that just because we don't know the answer to a question, that therefore god did it. That doesn't, however, mean one cannot use god as a hypothesis for explaining things in the world (or else you're just stacking the deck).

And of course, it doesn't follow from here that god doesn't exist at any rate.

Quote:
The fact that there are thousands of god beliefs is evidence that people invent gods.
Which doesn't issue in the conclusion that all gods are invented...

Quote:
The fact that those who are desperate to defend their beliefs have to lie, or use fallacies is evidence they have no evidence for their claims.
Doesn't suggest anything about the god's existence/non-existence either.

Quote:
We have a whole universe of evidence that atheism is most probably true (whether it is or not).
Such as?

Quote:
Because a large, old universe supports atheism because it is a requirement for us to have the chance to evolve.
Doesn't in any way suggest we weren't created and then evolved (or that god didn't "use evolution" as some Christians say) to create us.

Quote:
As your memory appears to be short, John Barrow and Frank Tipler, The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford: Clarendon Press), p. 442. This third time is enough.
And how did he misrepresent them?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:30 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Okay, well let's have a look at it...
Cue irrelevant posts, an 'ability' to not understand the obvious, goal post moving, etc.

Quote:
Which doesn't even address belief in the Christian god, or any other god which is said to be immaterial, the creator of the universe, etc., much less refute it.
So zombies walking on water exist? Of course it addresses it, as we do not see angels, miracles, etc. and no evidence for gods is evidence for atheism.

Quote:
Which would refute a sort of "god-of-the-gaps" mentality. One cannot assume that just because we don't know the answer to a question, that therefore god did it. That doesn't, however, mean one cannot use god as a hypothesis for explaining things in the world (or else you're just stacking the deck).
Irrelevant, it is still evidence for atheism. But yes, evidence does tend to stack the deck.

Quote:
And of course, it doesn't follow from here that god doesn't exist at any rate.
Irrelevant, it is still evidence for atheism. Are those goal posts heavy?

Quote:
Which doesn't issue in the conclusion that all gods are invented...
It is overwhelming evidence that they probably are.

Quote:
Doesn't suggest anything about the god's existence/non-existence either.
Then I would study 1) probability, and 2) cognitive bias if I was wearing your shoes.

Quote:
Such as?
Not one god any where, and none required.

Quote:
Doesn't in any way suggest we weren't created and then evolved (or that god didn't "use evolution" as some Christians say) to create us.
Irrelevant, it is still evidence for atheism. And yes, evolution also stacks the deck.

Quote:
And how did he misrepresent them?
He alleged they were confirming Hawking's was talking about creation from absolutely nothing when they were pointing out that is the flaw in the argument if Hawking's if he did not take quantum mechanics into consideration.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Post 156 is part of the evidence for atheism, (which includes strong atheism

What’s the difference between atheism and ‘strong atheism’? (Sorry, I wasn’t clear - which just can’t be differentiated by atheism or agnosticism rather than adding ‘strong’ or ‘very’).

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-16-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality