Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Irrelevant to anything I have said.

Zero evidence is zero evidence.

I already mentioned cognitive bias and contradictory experiences. That is the opposite of ignoring.

Science and probability are quick dismissals? Mystic hit this problem as well, once the word games and empty rhetoric were exposed for what they were.

Read it again.
why move the goalpost when you can remove them and claim you never missed ... lamo. yeah, that's a legit tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Which makes me think that you are not atheist...as you don't appear to understand WHAT atheism is. No atheist believes that gods might possibly exist. That's why they are atheists, they have no belief in gods. Perhaps you are getting confused with 'believing' and 'knowing'?

No, not if you are atheist (no belief in gods) What we might all acknowledge is that there is no way of knowing - but that isn't the same as believing that gods might exist

So if one does not accept/believe that gods exist, (atheist), why would that same person accept that gods might exist? It is a contradiction. It's a difference between belief and knowledge.

Do you believe in fairies? No.
Do you believe fairies might exist? No. I have no belief in the existence of fairies.
Do you know that they don't exist? No. I don't know that but I have no belief that they do or even might exist.

Are you understanding? If we don't believe/accept that something exists, how can we believe/accept that it might exist? The bottom line is - we don't believe! One either has no belief that gods exist or even might exist, in which case you are atheist or, one believes that god do or might exist which puts you in the theist camp.

We would all fall into the agnostic camp in that it is not possible to know one way or the other but that is a knowledge possession not a belief position. One can claim that one doesn't know but when it comes to belief, you either believe in gods or you don't That's why I keep saying that 'there a'int no middle ground brother'. You either believe or you don't.
The American Atheist website disagrees with you: "To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods."

Old 02-17-2019, 09:36 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The American Atheist website disagrees with you: "To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods."
And the standard dictionary definition (Merriam-Webster) is ‘a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods’.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
And the standard dictionary definition (Merriam-Webster) is ‘a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods’.
Which is fine. I am an atheist. I do not believe in the existence of god(s), but I do not claim knowledge of such. Thus, I am an agnostic atheist.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
So you are agnostic about my gold plated Porsche 911?
Again, the definition of agnostic is not ‘unsure’, and this is a completely erroneous use of the word. I can’t be atheistic about your gold-plated Porsche either.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
its a completely rational default position when we filter everything through the central dogma of "anti-god". Just like jesus dying for our sins is completely rational when we filter it through the central dogma of adam and eve.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Again, the definition of agnostic is not ‘unsure’, and this is a completely erroneous use of the word.
ἀ (a) - without; γνῶσις (gnosis) - knowledge.

You do not know if I have a gold plated Porsche 911 or not. So you are agnostic (without knowledge) on that position. But do you believe I have a gold plated Porsche 911? What about a standard Porsche 911? What about a VW Golf?

Quote:
I can’t be atheistic about your gold-plated Porsche either.
Of course not, as atheism is a position on gods, not knowledge.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
ἀ (a) - without; γνῶσις (gnosis) - knowledge

Of course not, as atheism is a position on gods, not knowledge.

Actually, both are used as positions relative to God, or no God. Agnosticism is lack of knowledge as it pertains to a god or gods (or anything beyond material phenomena). What you quoted is the root of the word, not its definition - and yes, it’s lack of knowledge. (the ‘a’ before gnostic).

The entire definition of agnostic - ‘a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith or disbelief in god.’

So tell me how that relates to your gold-plated Porsche? Your Porsche is not beyond material phenomena - it is proveable as to whether it exists or not. In addition, the definition of the word is not ‘unsure’. Agnostic is a noun, and it’s used in the same way as Christian, Atheist, etc. to describe someone’s stance as it pertains to a God or Gods - not to disbelief of your gold-plated Porsche.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-17-2019 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Actually, both are used as positions relative to God, or no God. Agnosticism is lack of knowledge as it pertains to a god or gods (or anything beyond material phenomena). What you quoted is the root of the word, not it’s definition - and yes, it’s lack of knowledge. (the ‘a’ before gnostic).
Agnostic is also used outside of religion. From politics to computers. And do you always lecture Greek speakers on the Greek language?

Quote:
The entire definition of agnostic - ‘a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith or disbelief in god.’
2 : a person who is unwilling to commit to an opinion about something political agnostics

Mirriam Webster, famous for their dictionaries. So not entire.

Quote:
So tell me how that relates to your gold-plated Porsche? Your Porsche is not beyond material phenomena - it is proveable as to whether it exists or not.
Then prove it. Wait, you are without knowledge about who I am. So again, do you believe I have a gold plated Porsche 911? If not, why not?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:

So tell me how that relates to your gold-plated Porsche? Your Porsche is not beyond material phenomena - it is proveable as to whether it exists or not.
You assert that knowledge of a god is unprovable. Not that it is currently unproven, but is actually beyond knowledge.

Isn’t that essentially the same thing as non-existent? If we don’t know, and cannot know, then the thing has no interaction, directly or indirectly, with the material world. If a thing has no interactions with the material world, isn’t that essentially synonymous with non-existent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality