Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Lol, please find me one dictionary that defines atheism as the belief that there's no possibility of a god existing. Go ahead.
Instead of using a dictionary, use your brain. If you have no belief in gods how can you believe that there MIGHT be gods?

Quote:
Sounds like you're trying to turn atheism into a religion, to me. There's absolutely nothing beyond an absence of belief in a god (or at strictest the belief that there is no god, which still doesn't mean the person can't admit they could be wrong) that atheists necessarily have in common. Next you'll be telling me I have to dress a certain way :
......and isn't that what I said? If you would spend more time reading what people say rather than frantically scouring their post to find the slightest thing to argue about you might do better. Go back and read what I said with reference to fairies.

Quote:
If you admit to not knowing for sure, then yes, that's the same as admitting gods might exist. Are you confusing "might" with "probably do" or something?
No. It isn't the same. It's admitting that I could be wrong but as I don't believe in gods, I don't believe that they might exist. What aren't you seeing?

Quote:
I'm curious as to what you would call a theist who admits there might not be a god now. Are they also automatically an atheist?
I'd call him a theist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The American Atheist website disagrees with you: "To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods."
How does that differ from what I said. I'll repeat it for you....

1. I have no belief that gods exist.
2. I have no believe that gods MIGHT exit because (going back to 1.) I have no belief in gods
3. Do I know that gods don't exist? No I don't but I have no belief that they do because I don't believe that gods do (or might) exist.

What are you not understanding?? You all appear to be confusing belief with knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
And the standard dictionary definition (Merriam-Webster) is ‘a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods’.
Yes. That's right. So now tell me. If you don't believe that gods exist how can you be open to the possibility that gods might exist. You can't! You don't believe in gods...remember?

Last edited by Rafius; 02-18-2019 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
If you have no belief in gods how can you believe that there MIGHT be gods?
Very easily. You just accept that such things could exist, and then acknowledge that you don't yourself believe that they do.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Very easily. You just accept that such things could exist, and then acknowledge that you don't yourself believe that they do.
...and how does that differ from me having said...
I have no belief in the existence of gods.
I have no belief that they might exist
Could I be wrong? Yes but I don't believe that I am because I have no belief in gods.

It's exactly the same as I've been saying

Old 02-18-2019, 12:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,391,422 times
If you don't see that "such things could exist" and "they might exist" are synonymous, I can't help you.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:

Yes. That's right. So now tell me. If you don't believe that gods exist how can you be open to the possibility that gods might exist. You can't! You don't believe in gods...remember?
Of course I can. To say there is no proof of God as described by Christianity does not automatically negate the endless possibilities of the universe. What we know now is dramatically different from what we knew 6000 years ago. To even remotely suggest man has all the definitive answers in 2019 is incredibly closed-minded.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:02 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Instead of using a dictionary, use your brain. If you have no belief in gods how can you believe that there MIGHT be gods?

......and isn't that what I said? If you would spend more time reading what people say rather than frantically scouring their post to find the slightest thing to argue about you might do better. Go back and read what I said with reference to fairies.

No. It isn't the same. It's admitting that I could be wrong but as I don't believe in gods, I don't believe that they might exist. What aren't you seeing?

I'd call him a theist.

How does that differ from what I said. I'll repeat it for you....

1. I have no belief that gods exist.
2. I have no believe that gods MIGHT exit because (going back to 1.) I have no belief in gods
3. Do I know that gods don't exist? No I don't but I have no belief that they do because I don't believe that gods do (or might) exist.

What are you not understanding?? You all appear to be confusing belief with knowledge.

Perhaps instead of us all being wrong and not understanding, it's your hot head not being willing to take the time to sit and read -- and really think about -- what other people are writing.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Complex, intelligent beings simply do not exist for no reason. Valid enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why do WE complex intelligent beings exist then????
<crickets>!
Quote:
Excellent question!
Unlikely there will be an answer any time soon.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Complex, intelligent beings simply do not exist for no reason. Valid enough?
now you are talking harry. and we are in the area that is my number one gripe with some atheist. Simply saying "they are wrong" all the time is a cheap cop out. Its not their god ... what is it?

whats your prediction?

And, all we do then is compare claims to see whats our best prediction. Claims that offer explanation, mechanism, and repeatable predictions are more valid than those that don't.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Of course I can. To say there is no proof of God as described by Christianity does not automatically negate the endless possibilities of the universe. What we know now is dramatically different from what we knew 6000 years ago. To even remotely suggest man has all the definitive answers in 2019 is incredibly closed-minded.
this is correct cowboy.

I don't think its nothing, I think these "spiritual" people are are just misunderstanding the system they are in. My guess is that they are feeling the connections to the system around us. I usually don't go universal because its just to big for now. I do however like to make predictions in a 40-ish AU radius bubble. The bubble offers us an empirical set of observations.

whats the single best notion we have that can offer an explanation, mechanism, and make repeatable predictions while at the same time being reinforced with every new science discovery being made?

lmao ... did i hegde a little to much there?

Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
If you don't see that "such things could exist" and "they might exist" are synonymous, I can't help you.
I don't see that THAT is not what I'm talking about then there is not a lot anyone can do for you. You are talking about knowledge. I am talking about belief. Despite the number of time I have said that I could be wrong, it doesn't change the fact that I have no belief that gods exist, can exist or even might exist. I can't see how much clearer I can make it.

When you are driving around a blind corner, do you drive really slowly just in case there is a leprechaun sitting in the road? Of course you don't - and why don't you- because you don't believe they exist and you don't even believe that they might exist. Sure you might say, as I do with regard to the existence of gods, leprechauns might exist, but that doesn't cause you to slow down in case there is one sitting there does it? No. You say exactly as I do with regard to gods - I don't believe/expect there is going to be a leprechaun sitting in the road because I don't believe that leprechauns exit. The fact that you could be wrong as I might be regarding gods doesn't alter the fact that you don't believe leprechauns do/can/might exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality