Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You are fooling yourself. The Bible fulfills its own prophecies over time, and the Old Testament foreshadows the New Testament in ways that clearly show divine authorship.

https://christinprophecy.org/article...he-scriptures/
listen, the bible has great stuff in it.

treating the bible as literally true or literally false is the apple.

have you bitten it? I men apples are good stuff, in the right ratios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:13 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The Bible is not a philosophy, despite what liberals tell you. It’s a story of redemption.
You are right, it's a story.

A story told by uneducated, superstitious, ignorant, itinerant, Bronze age, Middle Eastern goat herders letting their imagination run wild as they huddled around their campfires at night.

A story that has no backup anywhere but within its own pages. Who else talks about zombies running around Jerusalem, supposedly "seen by many"?

Well, who else? Come on, tell us how one of the most frightening or phatasicamorcal apparition of dead zombies coming out of their graves is not catalogued by anyone else except in the Gospels. Go on, tell us where.

You are right. It's a story. Like Harry Potter is.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:14 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You are right, it's a story.

A story told by uneducated, superstitious, ignorant, itinerant, Bronze age, Middle Eastern goat herders letting their imagination run wild as they huddled around their campfires at night.

A story that has no backup anywhere but within its own pages. Who else talks about zombies running around Jerusalem, supposedly "seen by many"?

Well, who else? Come on, tell us how one of the most frightening or phatasicamorcal apparition of dead zombies coming out of their graves is not catalogued by anyone else except in the Gospels. Go on, tell us where.

You are right. It's a story. Like Harry Potter is.
As you well know, some stories are true. Nevertheless, it is interesting that you do not argue the redemption idea.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
As you well know, some stories are true. Nevertheless, it is interesting that you do not argue the redemption idea.
Because it's stupid and unworthy of argument.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Redemption from WHAT? I don't need any redemption. I am responsible for my own actions, and if I make a misstep, I will pay for it. In this lifetime, because after I'm dead, just like you after you are dead, it will be same as before I was born. Nothing. Nada. Well, I, like you, can do the right thing and rather than being injected with dangerous chemicals or putting more CO2 into the atmosphere by being cremated, we can be turned into wormfood.

Giving back from what we took. What could be more righteous than letting the atoms that comprised our bodies be used to feed worms, bugs, slugs and then plants, which may feed other humans.

Redemption from what?

Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Redemption from WHAT? I don't need any redemption. I am responsible for my own actions, and if I make a misstep, I will pay for it. In this lifetime, because after I'm dead, just like you after you are dead, it will be same as before I was born. Nothing. Nada. Well, I, like you, can do the right thing and rather than being injected with dangerous chemicals or putting more CO2 into the atmosphere by being cremated, we can be turned into wormfood.

Giving back from what we took. What could be more righteous than letting the atoms that comprised our bodies be used to feed worms, bugs, slugs and then plants, which may feed other humans.

Redemption from what?
You keep dodging my point. Whether you think it applies to you, it’s a redemption story.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:55 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:

Redemption from what?
Redemption from the just punishment for sin, which is eternity in hell. Your soul is eternal and will wind up in only one of two places, from which there is no escape. Whether you believe in Him or not, you're going to have to face God on Judgment Day. And all have sinned (Romans 3:23); therefore, all must be punished. Unless you put your faith in Jesus's finished work of atonement for sins, and therefore have been imputed with His righteousness, you will fall short of God's perfect divine standards. All sins are against the eternal and self-existent God--and so, too, are the punishments for sin eternal. But the free gift of God is eternal life by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:08 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Redemption from the just punishment for sin, which is eternity in hell. Your soul is eternal and will wind up in only one of two places, from which there is no escape. Whether you believe in Him or not, you're going to have to face God on Judgment Day. And all have sinned (Romans 3:23); therefore, all must be punished. Unless you put your faith in Jesus's finished work of atonement for sins, and therefore have been imputed with His righteousness, you will fall short of God's perfect divine standards. All sins are against the eternal and self-existent God--and so, too, are the punishments for sin eternal. But the free gift of God is eternal life by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
I hope one day you stop punishing yourself for what your god-thing made you.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You keep dodging my point. Whether you think it applies to you, it’s a redemption story.
It's a story. We agree.

What makes it a "redemption" story, and redemption from WHAT?

Old 06-01-2019, 04:32 PM

You have so much presumption in this we need to break it down into smaller parts.

Quote:
Redemption from the just punishment for sin,
What sin? And what is a "just punishment". And why is it just? Who would determine that?

Quote:
which is eternity in hell.
Ahhh.. so the "just punishment" is hell. Who determined this was just? Why is it just? And what is hell? Where is hell? How do we know this is true? Don't use the bible for you answer.

Quote:
Your soul is eternal
What is a soul? How do we know it exists? How do we know it is an entity that continues after death? And even if it does, how do we know it is eternal? Don't use the bible for you answer.

Quote:
and will wind up in only one of two places, from which there is no escape.
How do you know this? Don't use the bible for you answer, as that is circular.

Quote:
Whether you believe in Him or not, you're going to have to face God on Judgment Day.
How do you know this is the truth. Not believe, but KNOW? Don't use the bible for you answer, that is circular.

Quote:
And all have sinned (Romans 3:23);
Romans was written by the Paul, one of the better peddlers of religion and the new Jesus cult at the time. That doesn't make it true, it only makes it Paul's pronouncement. How do you know this is true. Don't use the bible for you answer, as that is circular.

Quote:
therefore, all must be punished.
Again, Paul threatening those that would listen to him. How do you know this is true?

Quote:
Unless you put your faith in Jesus's finished work of atonement for sins, and therefore have been imputed with His righteousness, you will fall short of God's perfect divine standards.
How do we know a Jesus even existed? Don't use the bible for you answer, as that is circular. There is NO, and repeat, NO contemporaneous record of all the wondrous things ascribed to the Jesus of the bible. How do you know Jesus existed? Not believe, but KNOW?

Quote:
All sins are against the eternal and self-existent God--and so, too, are the punishments for sin eternal. But the free gift of God is eternal life by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
Covered by the questions and points above. There is no more evidence for a god or gods, a Jesus or Allah or Shiva, than there is for fairies, leprechauns or the Easter Bunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality