Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 01:12 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ruth, the brain is always registering and storing things we do not consciously pay attention to.
There's no way of knowing how much one 'knows' as demonstrated by 'reconstruction' by hypnosis or even examination, like from police investigators talking to witnesses to an accident...i.e.....
"Oh yes, the license plate did have the numbers 384". or even something so seemingly inconsequential that there were Geraniums planted beside the road.
The 'blind' might even be able to describe the relative but cannot prove he was never given a description during conversation..."Jane was short and plump but had this lovely black hair and green eyes"
You're reading an article about growing geraniums after seeing but dismissing one just before it about 'snails' because it didn't interest you. But your brain retained that info and you may swear you knew nothing about 'snails' or how it's possible they appeared in your dreams....or your NDE (substitute snail for angel or whatever)
This largely correct, but some things can be altered by the dreamer suggesting that they are from the subconscious and others cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:32 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This largely correct, but some things can be altered by the dreamer suggesting that they are from the subconscious and others cannot.
And if you don't know or believe they may be from the subconscious?
What are you to give credence to? And why?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:44 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And if you don't know or believe they may be from the subconscious?
What are you to give credence to? And why?
My experiences in altered states convince me that there is a truth to aspects of the experiences that reveal our true Reality. Those that cannot be altered by the meditator or dreamer reflect that Reality.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You can only define what you know of as "existence" from your singular reality.
It's not my reality.

If I cease to exist, this reality still exists.

If I never existed, this reality would still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The spiritual world existed before the physical and the Earth itself and all life therein were modeled after what already was in the kingdom of Heaven.
That's a subjective view with no scientific basis. It doesn't even have a Western religious basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Why would they all have the same exact vision?
Are you suggesting there is one Heaven and one vision for Lutherans, and another for Baptists, and then another for Methodists and still another for African Methodists and so on?

How many Heavens are there?

Quote:
All humans have, if not a belief in an afterlife, a cultural reference to it, though. Humans have been making burials with grave goods for thousands of years, so there's no way to find someone, who doesn't have any cultural references to that.
And, why?

Because plants come out of the ground.

Logically, then, if you put a dead human into the ground, they'll come back, right?

- So, logically--
- If she weighs the same as a duck...
- she's made of wood.
- And therefore?
- A witch!

Dumb yourself down to a dog.

That's how "smart" humans were until a few centuries ago.

Traditions Die Hard. Some Die Harder. What was the sequel to that?

Quote:
And last, but by no means least among the arguments in favor of the experience being indicative of an other-worldly "real" place or dimension, is the fact that people who were born blind can see during their NDE. How could they see, and report all the sights of their experience, if they've never experienced sight in their lifetime?
Because they didn't see anything.

The data is invalid, because it's suspect for primarily two reasons. First, none of the experiences are "recent" by any stretch of the imagination. The blind people were interviewed 10, 15, 20, 25 even 30 years after-the-fact.

Memories change. People add things, people delete things and and the memories are shaped and altered by the experiences of others.

Second, the interviews were improperly conducted.

There is one and only one correct and proper way to conduct any interview of any kind, and any question that steers, leads, suggests, implies, biases or prejudices is invalid and renders the information suspect.

Police rarely conduct proper interviews, and that's one of many reasons why innocent people confess, and why innocent people are wrongly convicted.

"Was she wearing a blue t-shirt?" is an improper question that taints the interview because it engages in steering and leading, plus it is suggestive and implicating.

A proper question would be "Describe her clothing" or "What was she wearing?" and you'll notice there are no adjectives.

The only proper question for NDEs is "Describe your experience" and let the audio or video tape roll.

No questions should ever be asked and their experience, whatever it is, is what it is.

So, "What kind of light did you see?" is an improper question that steers, leads, suggests and implies, making the interview tainted, because people will say they saw a light, even when they didn't, because they think that's what the interviewer wants to hear, or that it is the correct answer, or they'll doubt their own memory, believing their memory is somehow defective and they did see a light, but don't remember it.

Why? Because that's what people do, and there are hundreds of studies in US, UK, Canada, Australia and other countries that prove that.

Quote:
A lifetime of cultural images? How would that work, with a 5- or 10- or 15-year-old child?
It only needs to work once. You just have to tell a child that grandma, grandpa or Auntie Mae is in Heaven, and they're contaminated.

Quote:
Especially for kids raised with no religious influence at all?
Everyone living on Earth for the past 25,000 years has been exposed to religion.

Quote:
My experiences...
Are purely subjective. When you die, your subjective experiences die, too, and we won't have to put up with that nonsense any more.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
That may also be correct, but it does not follow that dreams (or the component of dreams that cannot be altered) come from OUTSIDE the brain of the dreamer. Assuming that's where you were leading with that observation?

Quote:
My experiences in altered states convince me that there is a truth to aspects of the experiences that reveal our true Reality. Those that cannot be altered by the meditator or dreamer reflect that Reality.
Not entirely clear what that means (...even with my newfound undertanding of "Reality," thanks again for that). But see above.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you suggesting there is one Heaven and one vision for Lutherans, and another for Baptists, and then another for Methodists and still another for African Methodists and so on?

How many Heavens are there?
You're assuming all NDE-ers have a heavenly vision, that's your error. That's not what the experience is about for many of them. I explained this before, but you're not bothering to read and understand the information.

End of discussion.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
If questioners understood that doubt is hell already, then no one would even care about this question. Seeing heaven is enough to realize what hell really is.

"He fashioned hell for the inquisitive."
Saint Augustine

Old 05-23-2019, 04:56 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do you think that the Afterlife has a literal Hell? By that I mean the Hell as taught by Islamics and Christians, that is, an actual place where people are burning in fire, tortured for all Eternity.
I believe the wicked should be punished. But why for*all eternity? That would be the height of Cruelty. Should they not get a chance to redeem themselves? According to those Bible-teachings, what disturbs me is that the torture will be eternal.
First of all there has to be a literal afterlife.

Good luck showing us how we could know (not believe, but KNOW), how it exists.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
You're assuming all NDE-ers have a heavenly vision, that's your error. That's not what the experience is about for many of them. I explained this before, but you're not bothering to read and understand the information.

End of discussion.
Another flounce!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 AM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Or they may reflect any number of other things. Something as prosaic as not being able to reach a threshold of some neurotransmitter at the moment, for example. We haven't studied lucid dreaming enough to know that some aspect of a dream you can't influence = bedrock reality. What we DO know however is that it's unlikely to be a single factor with a simple, direct causal relationship, so your conclusion is suspicious on that count alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality