Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 09:13 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic is a bit of a one -off in that respect. At times he has stated that of course it's just his beliefs and we don't have to accept it, but at other times he posts like it's unquestionable fact.

Other theists apologists do at least seem to ask Why we don't believe what they say. There are, of course, the ones who post Scripture like it was evidence of something.
I think what bothers me the most is what christianity doesn't have -- transparency. Secrets, magic, all that sort of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If nothing else, evidence that the Bible is the Christian's principle textbook.
How can one learn what the Bible really teaches without the Scriptures.
Of course what is posted should correspond with Scripture.
A comprehensive concordance helps put the Bible in alphabetical order for us.
Since the Bible has corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages that shows us that we can see the internal harmony among the many Bible writers.
Bible is evidence of what is coming as per 1st Thess. 5:2-3.
When the ' powers that be ' will be saying, "Peace and Security..." that will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14,9 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Okay, now your first "paragraph" makes sense to me. That the bible is a textbook of christian principles.

But most of you don't stop there. "You" go on to claim that it is the word of god (one way or another), that it factual (except when "you" need to make it allegorical for convenience in discussion, that it predicts the future (you just did that), and that all the world must bow down (you just did that, too). That is so typical of cult-like behavior.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What 5 different theologies ______
The Bible is full of cross-reference verses and passages.
Thus, we can criss-cross to-and-fro through the pages of Scripture to make a complete picture by subject or topic.
A comprehensive concordance puts the Bible in ABC order for us as a dictionary does.
Jesus' recorded words show Jesus often prefaced his statements with the words, " it is written...."
Written down because it was already written or recorded in the old Hebrew Scriptures.
Thus, Jesus based his teachings on what was already written down expounding Scripture for us.
The theme of Jesus' teachings (Luke 4:43) is consistent with what he instructed to be done at Matthew 24:13; Acts 1:8.
The good news of Daniel 2:44 would be proclaimed world wide just as it is being done on an international scale today.
Your criss-crossing too and fro is really just how you try to connect almost endless fables. The bible advertises a club where those who choose to be outside are condemned to death...just like the innocent first born males of Egypt.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I believe David went to hell...

I believe I'll have lunch.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I believe I'll have lunch.
I know I had lunch.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Perhaps a good first step would be to show that there even is an 'afterlife' before going on to discuss what happens in it.
In Valhallah they send the ravens to you so that you will know that Valhalla exists, Hurry Raf, run outside and tell me what you see, you shall see two ravens, and if what I say does not come to pass, you will know that I am not a prophet of Odin.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Hurry Raf, run outside and tell me what you see, ...
Ummmm. No black ravens. We don't have them here.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:10 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic is a bit of a one-off in that respect. At times he has stated that of course it's just his beliefs and we don't have to accept it, but at other times he posts like it's unquestionable fact.

Other theists apologists do at least seem to ask Why we don't believe what they say. There are, of course, the ones who post Scripture like it was evidence of something.
The fossilized bones of our ancestors are evidence of our physical evolution and the writings (fossilized thoughts) of our ancestors are evidence of our spiritual (cognitive) evolution of our understanding of God. In that sense, scripture IS evidence, Arq.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-21-2019 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 01:11 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ummmm. No black ravens. We don't have them here.
Thas alright, me and Trout will go to Valhalla and loot for ouselves, we don't need no help. No Valhalla beer for you.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think what bothers me the most is what christianity doesn't have -- transparency. Secrets, magic, all that sort of stuff.

I would certainly like to see the barriers to investigation removed. But them all Authorities love to make themselves as safe from public scrutiny as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality