Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 04:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
I notice you can quote but not respond.

If you don't want to argue the points just say so.

Or are you just here for the cute one liners?
Make a valid point and I'll respond.

Regurgitating the words of ancient, anonymous, storytelling pamphleteers blessed by Constantine doesn't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
He doesn't want to argue the points. He just wants you to believe as he does. His brand of fundamentalism is intolerant and is opposed to diversity.
What do I believe, oh mighty fence-sitter?

Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What do I believe, oh mighty fence-sitter?
Sorry, I deleted the post but since you cited it I'll respond.

It's not so much of what you believe, it's how you work to limit the discussions to your fundamentalistic paradigm... you are anti-forum, that's why you always behave like a petulant child, name-calling and sneering.
If you ever mature, you'll learn you do not need to pick any sides when you are seeking to understand others.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Sorry, I deleted the post but since you cited it I'll respond.

It's not so much of what you believe, it's how you work to limit the discussions to your fundamentalistic paradigm... you are anti-forum, that's why you always behave like a petulant child, name-calling and sneering.
If you ever mature, you'll learn you do not need to pick any sides when you are seeking to understand others.
You're confusing me with that guy in the mirror.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because the existence of God is NOT dependent upon what people believe ABOUT God. The validity of those beliefs is a separate issue.
How convenient.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Why do you ask?
It's a simple question. Is that your intent?

Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Why would I waste my time with those absolutely trifling questions? Perhaps you think I'm lying*, but I was an atheist for the majority of my adult life. That is, from high school until now, at age 28. I am all too familiar with that way of thinking. I have also come to observe that science is often radically turned on its head, and the expectations of scientists are frequently contradicted. I don't remember if it was you, but someone insinuated I was "lying for Jesus."

I would not have faith if God had not given faith to me. I know that it unnerves atheists to hear about ex-atheists finding faith in God. They can't even fathom it, for the most part. But in retrospect, it's hard to believe I was so blind.

It's hard to make people see the truth when they don't want to see it. But the truth is just so clear to me now. My eyes have been opened. I see the overwhelming evidence for God and creation in general, and I consider all the supernatural occurrences that have been reported on so many occasions. God has even done this for me, to ameliorate my faith! When God actually does something in your life, at that point it's QED. There's no going back - only forward.

I really don't wish hell upon anyone. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But it's very real. The only One who can save any of us from it is Jesus. And so I say to you (and not just you, but many others): it's your eternal soul. Your eternal destiny. Don't say I didn't warn you. Surrender yourself to Jesus.

*In case you think I'm lying about being an atheist, I'd have to be one persistent liar! I'll quote just a few posts of mine on this very forum from years past:

4/2/2017:

//www.city-data.com/forum/47713761-post6912.html

7/28/2015:

//www.city-data.com/forum/40595669-post1651.html

11/25/2014:

//www.city-data.com/forum/37414101-post58.html
Rather, it's Christians find it unnerving that atheists can simply not believe in a god, let alone the Jesus -story.

Atheists being converted is only too likely. Christian apologetics have a great deal of effort put into being persuasive, and an atheist has to be pretty well informed to show where the apologetics don't stack up. We aim to provide the information.

You provide the apologetics.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Rather, it's Christians find it unnerving that atheists can simply not believe in a god, let alone the Jesus -story.

Oh, I think it's even more than that. Look at Mystic's post. He's practically saying that we must believe in it.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
I notice you can quote but not respond.

If you don't want to argue the points just say so.

Or are you just here for the cute one liners?
Even cute one-liners are better than walls of scripture claiming that the Bible is true because the Bible says it's true.

Quote:
I won't shrug my shoulders and deny it all. Explain, maybe. Not deny.

You might be surprised when I tell you Christianity is a cult in the sense that a cult, in the broadest sense of the word, is simply a religious system with particular rites and customs.
Christianity is a blood cult.

Quote:
There are plenty of historians who've written about Jesus. Josephus for one.
Aaaaaaaaahahahaha! There it is TRANS. It's a forgery by the Liars for Jesus. Here. Educate yourself on what the world's foremost authority on Josephus, Louis H Feldman says about it....

"We may remark here on the passage in Josephus which has occasioned by far more comment than any other, the so-called Testimonium Flavianum (Ant. XVIII. 63 - 4) concerning Jesus. The passage appears in all our manuscripts; but a considerable number of Christian writers - Pseudo-Justin and Theophilus in the second century, Minucius Felix, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Julius Africanus, Tertullian, Hippolytus and Origen in the third century, and Methodius and Pseudo-Eustathius in the early fourth century - who knew Josephus and cited from his works do not refer to this passage, though one would imagine that it would be the first passage that a Christian apologist would cite. In particular, Origen (Contra Celsum 1.47 and Commentary on Matthew 10.17), who certainly knew Book 18 of the Antiquities and cites five passages from it, explicitly states that Josephus did not believe in Jesus as Christ. The first to cite the Testimonium is Eusebius (c. 324); and even after him, we may note, there are eleven Christian writers who cite Josephus but not the Testimonium. In fact, it is not until Jerome in the early fifth century that we have another reference to it

Quote:
Everything I cite when talking about God, Jesus, the Bible is - yes - going to come from the Bible. Why wouldn't I?
...because it is circular reasoning.

'It's all true.'
'How do you know?'
'It's in the Bible.'
'How do you know that the Bible is true?'
'Because the Bible says it is...and the Bible is true.'

Do you see it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Why would I waste my time with those absolutely trifling questions?
You said that you would be able to show us where the ToE fails. I want to find out if it's worth the effort of challenging you on that. I want to find out whether you do actually know anything about the ToE or whether you simply copy and past from your favourite 'Lying for Jesus' bible apologist site such as Answers in Genesis. So I asked you two very simple questions that anyone with even just a basic knowledge of the ToE would know...and you don't know the answer - which tells me that you simply vomit up the pseudo-science that your religious handlers (so well versed in Lying for Jesus) feed you, without actually understanding what you are saying. This is also obvious with you referring to Josephus as writing about Jesus in the T.F. when scholars on both sides of the argument accept that it a Christian interpolation. It is only idiotic Liars for Jesus that use Josephus as proof of Jesus.

If you had actually knew even a smidgen of what you claim is true you wouldn't have gone anywhere near Josephus and gone instead for someone like Tacitus who is at least a little more believable (though still easily debunked).

Quote:
I have also come to observe that science is often radically turned on its head, and the expectations of scientists are frequently contradicted.
Unlike religion, science never says..'This is true' and that is the wonderful thing about it - it is always seeking to improve and change as new evidence comes to light...unlike religion.

Quote:
I don't remember if it was you, but someone insinuated I was "lying for Jesus."
Yes you are - by claiming that you can disprove the ToE when you clearly don't know the first thing about it.

Quote:
I would not have faith if God had not given faith to me. I know that it unnerves atheists to hear about ex-atheists finding faith in God.
No more than it unnerves us to hear about Christians loosing their 'faith' and becoming atheists, Buddhist, Muslims or Hindus. The only thing that 'unnerves' me about you finding 'faith' is that you are now prepared to abandon reason, logic and common sense and instead - believe something is true on nothing more that wilful ignorance and superstition. THAT is indeed 'unnerving'.

Quote:
They can't even fathom it, for the most part.
Sure we can. We simply accept that people's beliefs change through their lives. I mean, I used to believe in Santa Claus...until I grew up.

Quote:
It's hard to make people see the truth when they don't want to see it.
Yes. We experience it with Christians every day.

Quote:
But the truth is just so clear to me now.
It's for you to demonstrate that it is true. It is your 'belief'. Whether or not that belief is true or not remains unknown.

Quote:
My eyes have been opened. I see the overwhelming evidence for God and creation in general,...
The same is said by millions of people who believe in different gods to you. You can't all be right - but you can all be wrong.

Quote:
I really don't wish hell upon anyone. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But it's very real.
We await your verifiable evidence for that claim.

Quote:
The only One who can save any of us from it is Jesus. And so I say to you (and not just you, but many others): it's your eternal soul. Your eternal destiny. Don't say I didn't warn you. Surrender yourself to Jesus.
Unsupportable threats do not impress.

Last edited by Rafius; 03-21-2019 at 02:13 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I think it's even more than that. Look at Mystic's post. He's practically saying that we must believe in it.
Mystic is a bit of a one -off in that respect. At times he has stated that of course it's just his beliefs and we don't have to accept it, but at other times he posts like it's unquestionable fact.

Other theists apologists do at least seem to ask Why we don't believe what they say. There are, of course, the ones who post Scripture like it was evidence of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality